Anyone Have A Broom 35 Sedan With Extended Flybridge

OldBerkshireBoy

Evening all,

Do you have or have you had one in the past, please tell me the good, the bad and the ugly about them. Looking at one built in 1978 (seller claims one of only 70 built?). Twin Perkins 145hp engines, would it be a good choice for a novice first broads boat? Lastly how can I get a valuation on it other than the sellers asking price?

As always, thanks in advance.

I will give you my thoughts and say a twin engine cruiser of that era possibly wouldnt be my choice as an ideal first boat for a broads novice. 

I believe marine surveyors can provide a valuation but their services will cost.  You could compare prices if you can find a similar boat listed for sale online (for sale on the broads as prices vary area to area).  

If you really are interested in it and assuming your boat knowledge is limited being a first time novice owner a survey might be beneficial as pitfalls could be numerous with any boat and if you dont know what your looking for it could save you in the long run, or even give you a few bargaining chips. 

I dont often recommend a survey but this sort of situation is exactly when they can be useful if not vital!! 

Good luck

• Like 2

Depending which boat you’re looking at , we looked at a Broom 35 with aftermarket added fly bridge , twin screw a couple of years ago .

the air draft I believe was about 11ft which meant very limited cruising unless the upper level is hinged in which case would be about 8ft8 meaning Ludham and the upper reaches of the Ant would be occasionally viable.

With twin engines of that size she was obviously designed for estuary and coastal cruising so IMHO not really suited to The Broads , we have a twin engined boat and something to remember is servicing costs and maintenance etc are double that if a single screw , we had. I intention of buying twin engines it was sods law that the boat we fell in love with and wanted had them 

At the end of the day only you know what you really want in a boat and where you want to use her , if you want to go to sea then strike all small single engined off your list if you only wish to cruise inland waterways (The Broads) then would be prudent to strike high airdraft , large engined and petrol (can’t buy petrol afloat on the Broads) off.

but its your money your choice 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pumpmedic said:

?

Don't worry it's often people pulling one another's legs.Going back to boats.I would agree with others perhaps not ideal as a first time/broads boat.I would suggest you call into NYA and  NBS.They can be found at Brundall, Horning.NBS has an office also in Wroxham. It's worth checking some of the boats available. Also you can test drive some.Once you get the boat the hard apart then is changing it to sult you.Boats often look good but not always right for you.Much like houses I find you know it's right,when it feels right.

• Like 2

If you want a go-anywhere Broads boat, then no it's not really suitable as there a lot of places it won't go.

You may be best hiring a couple of times, perhaps a centre-cockpit, a Sedan, a Dual Steer or to see what a full-on flybridge cruiser is like on the Broads, give Far Horizon a try. 

That process will cost you a bit of money, but you'll work out the sort of boat you need. I've picked a few older boats there to keep it sensible.

I've seen plenty of people buy a Sports cruiser because it looks 'cool', and then realise that there's a reason Broads boats aren't built like that and they end up changing to something more spacious having already spent a load of cash on the previous boat.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dnks34 said:

I will give you my thoughts and say a twin engine cruiser of that era possibly wouldnt be my choice as an ideal first boat for a broads novice. 

I believe marine surveyors can provide a valuation but their services will cost.  You could compare prices if you can find a similar boat listed for sale online (for sale on the broads as prices vary area to area).  

If you really are interested in it and assuming your boat knowledge is limited being a first time novice owner a survey might be beneficial as pitfalls could be numerous with any boat and if you dont know what your looking for it could save you in the long run, or even give you a few bargaining chips. 

I dont often recommend a survey but this sort of situation is exactly when they can be useful if not vital!! 

Good luck

Thank you and have taken your points onboard and I would have a survey carried out, shame really as it was 20k cheaper than I`ve seen locally. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Depending which boat you’re looking at , we looked at a Broom 35 with aftermarket added fly bridge , twin screw a couple of years ago .

the air draft I believe was about 11ft which meant very limited cruising unless the upper level is hinged in which case would be about 8ft8 meaning Ludham and the upper reaches of the Ant would be occasionally viable.

With twin engines of that size she was obviously designed for estuary and coastal cruising so IMHO not really suited to The Broads , we have a twin engined boat and something to remember is servicing costs and maintenance etc are double that if a single screw , we had. I intention of buying twin engines it was sods law that the boat we fell in love with and wanted had them 

At the end of the day only you know what you really want in a boat and where you want to use her , if you want to go to sea then strike all small single engined off your list if you only wish to cruise inland waterways (The Broads) then would be prudent to strike high airdraft , large engined and petrol (can’t buy petrol afloat on the Broads) off.

but its your money your choice 

Thanks, have noted your points, time to reset the compass I think. 

3 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Don't worry it's often people pulling one another's legs.Going back to boats.I would agree with others perhaps not ideal as a first time/broads boat.I would suggest you call into NYA and  NBS.They can be found at Brundall, Horning.NBS has an office also in Wroxham. It's worth checking some of the boats available. Also you can test drive some.Once you get the boat the hard apart then is changing it to sult you.Boats often look good but not always right for you.Much like houses I find you know it's right,when it feels right.

Thanks for the reply.

14 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

If you want a go-anywhere Broads boat, then no it's not really suitable as there a lot of places it won't go.

You may be best hiring a couple of times, perhaps a centre-cockpit, a Sedan, a Dual Steer or to see what a full-on flybridge cruiser is like on the Broads, give Far Horizon a try. 

That process will cost you a bit of money, but you'll work out the sort of boat you need. I've picked a few older boats there to keep it sensible.

I've seen plenty of people buy a Sports cruiser because it looks 'cool', and then realise that there's a reason Broads boats aren't built like that and they end up changing to something more spacious having already spent a load of cash on the previous boat.

Thanks for the reply and the links, much appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi A twin engined boat is no different than a single engine for a first timer, i started with a princess twin, good for my image, easier to control a twin when mooring, and up on the plan across Brayden exhilarating, then trips to Southwold,Ipswich ect you are only young once, and probably have a larger disposable income, you don't buy a boat to save money, as you get older and less mobile and  experienced in creature comforts you tend to gravitate to a bathtub with all the creacher comforts and ease of boarding, which is what we have now. John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi A twin engined boat is no different than a single engine for a first timer, i started with a princess twin, good for my image, easier to control a twin when mooring, and up on the plan across Brayden exhilarating, then trips to Southwold,Ipswich ect you are only young once, and probably have a larger disposable income, you don't buy a boat to save money, as you get older and less mobile and  experienced in creature comforts you tend to gravitate to a bathtub with all the creacher comforts and ease of boarding, which is what we have now. John

Many thanks for a different perspective on this. I had read about being easier to control when mooring under certain conditions which I thought as a bonus for a newbie without having thrusters and was suprised nobody mentioned this but then the general consensus was that my "bargain find" was generally unsuitable.

Oh decisions, decisions!  :default_sad:

Suggest you write down on paper what you think you want to do/expect to do, then in another column what it will take to do what you think you do have to do for you personally, are you by yourself, have a partner, just be selfish in your perspective, then add best mates/family/friends, most of the time you will be by your self/partner. John

• Like 1

Welcome Pumpmedic, if you click on the handy information at the top of the page it will come up with bridge heights amongst, other headings, if you wish to visit most area`s you will need a low air draft boat as Oldgregg suggested. A good site to visit is horning.org this gives loads of information on boats,designs,boatyards,brokerages and manufacturers. Other websites to give you a good look at possible boats are the boat share site BCBM and the main boat hire companies,Richardsons & Barnesbrinkcraft, who also have good boating guides on their sites. My  all time favourite boat is the aquafibre pearl 38

Paul

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pumpmedic said:

Many thanks for a different perspective on this. I had read about being easier to control when mooring under certain conditions which I thought as a bonus for a newbie without having thrusters and was suprised nobody mentioned this but then the general consensus was that my "bargain find" was generally unsuitable.

Oh decisions, decisions!  :default_sad:

It is horses for courses and only you can decide what you want from a boat.

We have a single engined sports cruiser which some on here would claim to be the spawn of the devil and completely unsuited to inland waters.

However in the last ten years that we have owned her we have used her extensively inland, not just on the Broads but also for estuary and coastal cruising and she suits us down to the ground. 

We manage perfectly well without the need for a bowthruster, but then again we have had plenty of practice with her by now!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

Thanks for posting, for the record I went with sad icon because having worked hard for my £`s I don`t like giving them away. lol.

I do know of some hugely wealthy boat salesmen locally, more than one is a millionaire or well on the way to becoming one!