Low Tide

Simondo

18 hours ago, garryn said:

Plenty of clearance under Wroxham bridge today. Impossible to read the bottom of the gauge but must be somewhere near the 8ft Mark.

Bloody typical Isn't my boat being ex-hire has got a note on the dashboard saying 7 foot six under all bridges except Wroxham that being eight-foot, I say bloody typical because the boat is now out of the water to be worked on never mind maybe next time it'll be in the water and I can do the Coltishall run here's hoping

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Hopefully no damage sustained to any boats!!

I was going to ask the question - with boats sat on the mud - presumably with the props and rudders now sunk in the mud - is any damage ever suffered because of this? - or with the mud being very soft - do boats tend to be ok?

4 hours ago, Markw said:

I was going to ask the question - with boats sat on the mud - presumably with the props and rudders now sunk in the mud - is any damage ever suffered because of this? - or with the mud being very soft - do boats tend to be ok?

When I first bought Sunbird, she was moored at Aston's yard at Loddon, on the river side quay. We were regularly in the sticky stuff, and twice had to open the weed filter to de-plug the goo from the bottom of the fitting. But we did find the raw water impeller was missing a few fingers, so that might have not helped! Still, not good to have that mud running through the heat exchanger, though, so if you've been grounded, it might be as well to check that out when you get back to floaty business.

• Thanks 1

The photo kindly provided by Ray.  The 'Strong Metal Arm' to me seems not to have any support at the aft end unless it is directly in front of the rudder and I can't see it.    It just carries the lower pin for the rudder.  If the lower arm was to sit on the bottom I would deduce that serious pressure from below would push the rudder trapping it between the arm and the underside of the hull.  Having said that it is a good design to protect the prop and rudder from hitting objects in the water or the bottom of the river itself.  'B.A' has a very similar design but with a very strong 'Leg' at the end of the arm just fwd of the rudder between the arm and the underside of the hull where it fastens to the substantial rudder stock  and the end of the keel / hog.  This design means that even sitting on the bottom the pressure cannot squeeze the rudder / pin as per photo,

Griff

BA NBN 333.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Griff - that may be an issue if it were to sit on rock and it was bouncing up and down on it for some time, but you have to remember that the rivers in particular generally consist of MUD or at best boggy marsh!!

Remember when they put in Lens new shed they went down about 70' with the piles and still did not hit anything much!!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ray said:

The keg, I believe that's the correct term, should protect the propeller and rudder while on the mud.

The strong metal "arm" from the end of the keel to the bottom bearing of the rudder.

IMG_20180606_152936676_HDR.jpg

Here we have our keg.

Note the lack however of a skeg!

DSC-0252.jpg

• Haha 4