• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Simondo

Low Tide

That’s me not going out them as will be stuck on mud at Brundall looking at low water times

John

• Sad 1

Have seen some posts on Facebook, seems water very low in Brundall. It tends to happen every so often.A few years back we were heading to Beccles. Never seen the water so low.

I can remember quite a few years back, Karen and i being moored at Reedham, and the coachroof of Swallow was level, maybe even slightly lower than the quay heading.  Also, several years back, someone posted a photo of Loddon basin with no water in it.  I bet the tide was running extremely fast to take that amount of water out, and i would also think there would be a lot of room under Potter Heigham bridge. Just don`t go under it, otherwise you might need a crane to get you back?.

No no - it cannot be running out of the Bure, as its not been dredged enough has it?

• Haha 3

Very low tide at St Olaves today. Its the lowest I have seen it - many boats in the marina were on the mud

10 minutes ago, marshman said:

No no - it cannot be running out of the Bure, as its not been dredged enough has it?

Marshman, you must have been waiting for years for the moment to make that comment!   :default_icon_clap: 

• Haha 1

Howard where were you moored in those photos? That would have been me well and truly stuck on the boat!!

We did drive up to Lowestoft this morning and we always glance over the Orwell Bridge if we go that way. Hubby did comment that it looked like a really low tide ... now I know why.

1 minute ago, SwanR said:

Howard where were you moored in those photos? That would have been me well and truly stuck on the boat!!

We did drive up to Lowestoft this morning and we always glance over the Orwell Bridge if we go that way. Hubby did comment that it looked like a really low tide ... now I know why.

Looks to me like Somerleyton?

Excellent . . . . . . . . . .                

. . . . . . . . . for pike fishing!

No going out today all the boats on the mud

John

68910E46-CD6C-4681-91B2-AABAA8B3A9A0.png

85B34823-4015-4FF0-8685-FA6E9414FD85.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I know there will be many people that “don’t do Twitter” but still plenty of info to be found!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Like 2

Robin has posted a little video on the Facebook page showing what it's like where Independence is moored, if anyone who is a member over there is interested.

Susie has just showed me Robin's video on facebook. Quite exceptional. I am trying to remember if I have ever seen the Yare as low as that, but I can't.

By the way Robin, those bubbles are good old "marsh gas". Methane. Don't strike a match!

Any chance the video could be posted here for those of us who dont have Facebook?

• Thanks 2

It took a rescue boat to tow us ( yeoman keelboats)  out of the moorings. As our keels dragged in the mud and that was at high tide. 

When we returned 4 hours later we needed two rescue boats,  and a rope to the shore to manoeuvre us back into our moorings with me stood on the bow to keep the rudder out of the mud to stop it being bent. 

We and several other boats had hit mud during the racing.

5 hours ago, SwanR said:

Somerleyton indeed Jean as V and JF spotted 

Don't tell the BA but we moored stern on to a safety ladder and climbed up :default_norty:

• Haha 1