Christmas Fare

Baitrunner

I don't mind baked beans topped with L&P.You can make your own baked beans.Get some dried beans.Soak them over night,cook them slowly until soft.drain off retain the cooking stock,good for stews.Finnish off with a good tomato  sauce,tinned chopped tomato ,tomato puree onions herbs salt and pepper.Cook for about an hour.Blend add to beans.Homemade baked beans. 

Well mr scrumpy we did ours in reverse order this year as we are not home Christmas or Boxing Day. 

So the ham was cooked last night and mash and pickles. And you do NOT want to see the baked beans today!!!!! It was blooming gorgeous. I could eat it until I burst. In fact I nearly did. 

Now someone mentioned quiche? That isnt even real food. It’s a thick omelette!!! Can you tell im not a quiche lover?

ha ha. Glad I spotted that little auto correct. That last line read “I’m not a quickie lover”!!!!

happy Christmas and whatever you eat I hope you all have fun.  :default_xmas2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well now for my offering, picked up Turkey from butchers this morning at 7:30 AM a 7 kg bronze, spent the next hour preparing all the various stuffings basically chestnut sausage meat with flavourings and parsley lemon and time (definitely not sage and onion)

I am cooking for eight Christmas day, hopefully, and I say hopefully next year we will be spending Christmas on the boat just the two of us, the last time we did this was in 1978 on a Hampton 27 hired from a yard in the Beccles, and Christmas day was spent on Barton Turf and when cooking the dinner we had the  roof open, it was really special. this is a picture of my wife Susan enjoying her Christmas Day lunch. 2070838147_SueBoat.thumb.jpg.8014fe48eced5ad57b9206790eb5d86f.jpg

• Like 3

As ever I'll be cooking our dinner tomorrow as what remains of the family descend upon me for the day and night.

It's much easier than cooking a three course Christmas dinner for 22 hungry grumpy blokes missing Christmas with their family in the confined station canteen like I used to have to do years ago. It sure makes you learn how to cook rather well :default_biggrin:

Tomorrow I'll enjoy getting my bird all hot and giving her a good stuffing in the kitchen before carrying her over to the table and devouring her hungrily whilst having a wine or two.

Merry Christmas everyone :default_winko:

:default_xmas2:

On 23/12/2018 at 22:05, YnysMon said:

It will be church at 9.30 (I’m playing the organ and usually manage to drag the whole family along with me), then present opening, then a prolonged dinner with walks/games between courses (we hope!).

Is there no end to your talents Helen? Maybe I missed that little nugget about playing the organ. How wonderful and how special. Merry Christmas to you and yours. :default_xmas6:

• Like 1

We had a large chicken and a turkey crown for the big day. Last crown I had was dry,  so this time we put a layer of sausage meat under the skin and more in the neck cavity, which with an onion and a lemon stuffed into the main cavity and a layer of streaky bacon on top, kept it nice and moist. Boxing day we had cold meats, chips and leftover veggies and yesterday we had Mrs O's amazing Christmas Pie, which disposed of most of the remaining meat and trimmings (stuffing, pigs in blankets, bread sauce and cranberry sauce and gravy go in with the meat and a lovely flavoursome pie comes out. Today we will finish off the rest in a Chinese style curry stir-fry.  Strangely enough, baked beans played no part in our Christmas festivities. Frankly, sprouts  are a big enough risk on their own without introducing another high-sulphur food type. 

The chicken and turkey bones were boiled up and I will be using the stock to make a lovely big pan of veggie soup which will last us into the weekend.

• Like 2

Spent Christmas Day at my daughter's in North London, it was superb, Turkey crown and all  the trimmings. It made a change for us as I usually have the family come to us on Christmas Day - I really enjoy the cooking side of things and it's lovely to have the house full. I  also  like to give my daughter a break as she runs an internet retail Company that is horse and pony related and is aimed at little girls aged between about 4  and 16 years old and it is manic for several weeks leading up to Christmas ( one day last week she personalised, packed and posted  120 assorted  garments So by Christmas Eve, having had about 6 weeks with a similar schedule she was well  and truly exhausted. I couldn't do it this year because I had a  hip replacement op' in the Autumn and although I  have made a good recovery and am walking unaided and  without a limp for the first time in years my stamina is not back to  full strength and she wouldn't let me do it. Glad to see how many of you enjoyed the holiday too. My very best wishes to everyone for a very happy, healthy  New Year.

Carole

• Like 2

christmas eve I cooked a small 30 day cured beef joint, christmas day was a turkey breast joint, boxing day I decided to take my sister up on her offer of a family get together at her house, so it was a cold buffet, I have had a few days of turkey and beef sandwiches for lunches, and it will be a throw some slices of beef and turkey into a pan with left over gravy then into the oven to properly heat up,  and some mashed potato to go with it.

• Like 3

I forgot to say that I made a nut roast for my  vegetarian daughter: fine chopped onion, breadcrumbs, veg suet, chopped mixed nuts including chestnuts, walnuts, almonds, pecans and hazelnuts,   grated nutmeg, chopped parsley, thyme, rosemary and marjoram from the garden, lemon zest and lemon juice, all bound together with egg (she's not a vegan).  Served with vegetarian gravy, all the Christmas dinner veg and non-meat trimmings, she said it was excellent, so who am I to argue?

• Like 1