The Forum's in a holiday mood,

Lots of gifts and plenty of food.

Friends we recall, God bless us all

Mods wish you a great New Year.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Obnoxious waste of good wine.

Good glass of 8 or 9 year old Rioja yes please.

As an aperitif before the lunch quite pleasant, but don't drink any more than one glass, and with the meal my I recommend a good German Riesling slightly chilled

2 hours ago, eddybear said:

As an aperitif before the lunch quite pleasant, but don't drink any more than one glass, and with the meal my I recommend a good German Riesling slightly chilled

For a French white wine, a Sancerre, Pouilly Fumé, or Chablis. Sancerre also do an excellent red wine.

For Christmas pudding you need Sainsbury's Asti Spumante. The perfect combination!

Ha ha, i keep telling you lot, i`m allergic to alcahol.  

I shall be clinking glasses with an orange juice and lemoade, or if they have any, ginger ale and lemonade.  It`s great to stay sobre, that way i can still drive with no risk of getting done for drinking and driving, and i can watch others make fools of themselves.

Getting a bit wistful now, as I have just watched Carols from Kings College on the BBC so I am finally getting the Christmas spirit!

It occurs to me that during my life, I seem to have spent at least half of my Christmas "holidays" away from home and so tonight I am remembering all those who cannot be with their families because they are on duty :

They may be fire-fighters, nurses, police, armed forces, merchant seaman or even those out there on the North Sea gas platforms, keeping our homes supplied with heat. I think of them tonight, I thank them and I wish them well!

:default_xmas6:

• Like 8

I too remember those responsible for keeping the electricity flowing on christmas day, those at the call centres and those on standby who might be called upon to leave at a moments notice - even in the middle of their christmas meal to go out and reconnect the power supply in case of a power cut.

• Like 3

Talking of those moderators, we haven't heard a lot from Old Wussername for a week or two as he has been "up the orsepittle" having a bit of an operation. He is now home making a slow but steady recovery and I was in touch with him yesterday evening. Not quite sure what it involved but I am told they had to change the cutless bearing, tighten up his stern gland and do a visual inspection of his flywheel thrust plate. His universal joints were a bit "wonky" an' all and they changed his anodes while they were at it.

I don't know if he is reading the forum much at the moment but I am sure we all wish him and Anne a happy Christmas and a speedy recovery. He is looking forward to seeing us all again at the spring meet.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3