Sweater Weather

DAVIDH

Friday 14th December.

It was an early start to my four hour cleaning and turn-around plan, which began after consumption of a bowl of Mornflake Hawaiian Granola – did not want to muck the cooker up. I won’t go through it all again as it was the same tortuous process I went through in my “report” in October. Eventually the boatyard staff arrived and I told them the electric had gone off. It was eventually re-instated but by that time I was already hot under the collar with all the cleaning which needed to be completed before I could depart. By 11.15am, the car was packed and I was ready to leave. I made my way back down the road in the direction of the Swan Inn. Did I pick up my little mifi unit which I had needed to place on top of the fire blanket holder in order to get a half decent signal? I stopped and checked… no I didn’t. So I had to turn around and make my way back on board. Mifi unit retrieved, I cut the elastic which seemed to be not letting me escape and set off – finally - for The Yare in Brundall for my final meal on the Broads. I was sat at my table ordering Chicken Pieces In Batter by 12.15pm. Still time for one more mishap. Knowing in advance what I would order for my meal, I dispensed with the menu and went straight to order at the bar. Chicken Pieces in Batter and a pint of lager shandy please. I chose to sit in the little extension bit which overlooks  the Broom moorings, to await my meal. It duly arrived about 15 minutes later and it became clear I had forgotten to ask to change the rice for chips. Never mind – rice will make a change. It was actually a delicious alternative… but chips next time please! Here endeth my tale.

Observations

At this moment (may change on reflection) I would check on the weather forecast before committing to a holiday in December or January.  The problem is that the days are so short with light disappearing by 4pm so you need to plan carefully if you want access to an electric post – which I did with temperatures falling sub-zero most nights and barely above it on a couple of days. This is restricting in that I needed to be sure I could get to a plan B location if electricity was not available.

The cold frosty nights led to bright sunlit clear days which warmed the boat well during the day. I also liked the way it illuminated the passing scenery. It was as though someone had set hundreds of bright movie lamps on the Broads “set”.

Moorings were delightfully empty. I never saw even one other hire boat out and about. Ranworth in particular was a favourite spot, being able to moor up stern on looking out onto the Broad, watching the sun go down and come up was a treat.

I saw lots more ducks than I usually see. They were everywhere, yet in season you hardly ever see them. I was worried that the otters were responsible for that but now I wonder if it is just that they have learned to keep away from humans in season for some reason. Perhaps they have developed a form of duck-dementia and forgotten that we have all the bread!

Finally, I was pleasantly surprised that the local hostelries were still overall, well supported at this time of the year. The food options were still good and contrast so much with my last visit to the Broads at this time of the year, some 30 years ago when we felt like an intruder coming into someone’s front living room.

Some images which did not make the tale above:

Like leaving your car in somebody elses driveway

extras1.jpg

Can't remember where this is.... or why I took it!

extras2.jpg

All that money just shunted together

extras4.jpg

Thurne Windpump (again)

extras5.jpg

How Hill

extras6.jpg

Nice reflections at Potter

extras7.jpg

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Four hours to clean the boat, blow that for a game of soldiers! I'd be tempted to pay someone else to do it as I do effectively when hiring. 

I would do that but it's only 4 times a year and can't see anyone being interested in that. It was discussed at the last AGM but declined as a group. 

• Thanks 1

I note your disappointment  about the Wroxham Model exhibition, I suggest you visit a real model railway show rather than a commercial operation.

So for the Broads area, I've just posted "Model railway shows 2019" in the Broadscot Lounge.

Being a bit biased I can recommend our  Broadland Model Railway Club show in October that's only £5 to get in and we will have 13 to 16 layouts plus traders and demonstrations (and a tea bar).

Also our friends at the Norwich Model railway club have a slightly bigger show in April at Hellesdon High School also £5. They also have demonstrations, traders and tea bar as well..

• Like 1