Bow Thruster Fitting

Just wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere preferably up north that could fit a bow thruster to an Alpha 35 ?? Just wanted to get an idea of price before we sign on the dotted line , it's way down on the list of things we need to do but needed a quote or an idea of approx cost so we can budget for everything else, boat will 99% be moored in Horning just need to confirm details when we move home on the 18th..thanks

2 hours ago, Jocave said:

Just wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere preferably up north that could fit a bow thruster to an Alpha 35 ?? Just wanted to get an idea of price before we sign on the dotted line , it's way down on the list of things we need to do but needed a quote or an idea of approx cost so we can budget for everything else, boat will 99% be moored in Horning just need to confirm details when we move home on the 18th..thanks

There’s a place up north just outside of Inverness can’t remember the name done mine for just under 3K :default_norty:

1 hour ago, boycee said:

Ring Rob Frearson at Sutton Staithe Boatyard 01692 581653 and get a quote. It will be competitive and he will do a good job

Boycee

The exact advice I received earlier this year and I can confirm that they did a brilliant job fitting my bow thruster and the price was indeed competitive. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Rob for any boat work!

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Malanka said:

What’s a bow thruster for ? Ooops couldn’t resist. M

It’s what modern boats use because we dont all still live in the dark ages. 

we also have running water and flush toilets now !!! 

couldnt resist it either. 

Oh and there are new products used to build boats that are easier to maintain. :default_icon_bowdown:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bow thruster aka pu55y button.  I would never ever in a million years have one on 'B.A' - Never missed not having one either.  However on 'Indy' they are a real bonus and aid to approaching or leaving a mooring.  I really don't think that any broads cabin cruiser really needs them but then again I do understand the attraction and the aid they give to skippers, especially novice skippers.  Whereas on 'Indy' not having them would make life somewhat interesting mooring her up in a strong cross wind.  What I absolutely hate about bow / stern thrusters is the horrendous noise they make whilst being used.  The reason for that is the shallow draft of most Broads cruisers.  The bow and stern thrusters on 'Indy' are proper strong ones and they are almost silent - Deeper draft of course

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One point about bow and stern thrusters that is often overlooked is accessibility. By no means in our dotage both my wife and I are subject to stiff and sometimes painful joints, being able to keep the boat against the bank takes away any need for athleticism and speed and thus is safer... especially at wild moorings which are our favourite and often involve a good jump or climb disembarking and casting off.

Also of course they are brilliant at helping with tricky moorings in wind and tide... I wouldn't give up the power steering in my car either :12_slight_smile:

• Like 6

Rene is at a point in life where jumping about is a no-no! Therefore when we are aboard, I have to do the shoreside stuff. With Sunbird having a high profile out of the water, a stiff breeze can make things tricky in some situations. The bow thruster is invaluable at these times, Rene can keep the bow in, while I attend to the rear line. Saves a lot of dashing about on the bank! Also it makes manouevring in our particular marina situation a doddle, without it I have to admit, I'd struggle. I COULD manage without it, but it makes our boating a whole lot easier, and safer.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ray said:

One point about bow and stern thrusters that is often overlooked is accessibility. By no means in our dotage both my wife and I are subject to stiff and sometimes painful joints, being able to keep the boat against the bank takes away any need for athleticism and speed and thus is safer... especially at wild moorings which are our favourite and often involve a good jump or climb disembarking and casting off.

Also of course they are brilliant at helping with tricky moorings in wind and tide... I wouldn't give up the power steering in my car either :12_slight_smile:

26 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Rene is at a point in life where jumping about is a no-no! Therefore when we are aboard, I have to do the shoreside stuff. With Sunbird having a high profile out of the water, a stiff breeze can make things tricky in some situations. The bow thruster is invaluable at these times, Rene can keep the bow in, while I attend to the rear line. Saves a lot of dashing about on the bank! Also it makes manouevring in our particular marina situation a doddle, without it I have to admit, I'd struggle. I COULD manage without it, but it makes our boating a whole lot easier, and safer.

These are the things that the ‘experts’ amongst us don’t ever think about. The fact that we now have these little extras to help us in our old age and infirmities, mean we can continue our enjoyment of our vessels for a few more years. Why struggle (or even give up) when help is available? 

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, vanessan said:

These are the things that the ‘experts’ amongst us don’t ever think about. The fact that we now have these little extras to help us in our old age and infirmities, mean we can continue our enjoyment of our vessels for a few more years. Why struggle (or even give up) when help is available? 

Such a true statement, I personally haven't reached that stage yet where I can't manage without help but when that time comes I to will consider things like bow thrusters, as said before would you want a car without power steering, if you love your house and where you live would you want to move into a bungalow? Or in the house you know and love and put a stairlift in your existing property, Boats are the same no point in making life difficult for yourselves If there is an improvement you can make that enables you to continue your enjoyment, do it.

• Like 7

Bow thrusters are like abs brakes, parking sensors, self parking on cars  not essential  BUT!  anything that makes boating , driving a car  safer and avoiding possible damage to other cars/boats can't be bad or wrong to use , it's only older electric thrusters that are noisy my hydraulic ones are silent and can be used for any length of time unlike older electric one's. Having twin engines on a broads boat is also not essential But makes mooring and maneuvering much easier. john

• Like 4

Having lived on ours for nearly 20 years we are no longer as nimble as when we first moved on. Ruth suffers with arthritis now and my back and knees are not their best, none of which are going to improve. We fitted a bow thruster to Lady Linda when we bought her and in windy conditions it's essential also when leaving our St Olaves mooring where we have to back down a narrow chanel past 4 or 5 other boats. It really doesn't matter how much experience you have the wind can catch out the best of us. A bow thruster can save the day.

Anything that will keep us afloat is got to be worth having.

Colin :default_beerchug:

• Like 8

Much is said about bow thrusters, mainly in favour, but with a few purists taking a slightly condescending view (now you do understand what I mean by "condescending" don't you.")

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I would never ever in a million years have one on 'B.A'

This would rather indicate that should Griff become physically less able, he'd sooner sell his share in BA than make it suitable for use in his dotage.

For me, I shall keep boating for as long as I can whatever changes I have to make to my boat.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

For me, I shall keep boating for as long as I can whatever changes I have to make to my boat.

Hear hear, I think that goes for quite a lot of us. I don’t even care if my boat ends up a mass of grab rails, at least I will feel safe! :default_icon_bowdown: - that’s me trying to find the grab rail!!

• Like 1

A huge number of assumptions here. Older traditional boats weigh double or even triple the weight of “modern boats” whatever that’s supposed to mean. Usually have bigger prop diameter deeper keel usually made of Iron and a much bigger rudder. All of these individual items contribute to not needing a bow thruster. The problem if that’s the phrase needed a solution and bow thrusters are it. The reason wooden boats aren’t in the majority is simply cost. Maintenance costs building costs and so on. Not innovation or anything else. Costs drove the problem and a solution was found. 

There will come a day when I can’t access our boats high freeboard. When that day comes I will go for the alternative “modern craft”. My children will then be custodians of the old lady. Until then I will continue to poke fun at those extolling the virtue that is a solution to progress caused issues.

😇

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Bow thruster aka pu55y button.  I would never ever in a million years have one on 'B.A' - Never missed not having one either.  However on 'Indy' they are a real bonus and aid to approaching or leaving a mooring.  I really don't think that any broads cabin cruiser really needs them but then again I do understand the attraction and the aid they give to skippers, especially novice skippers.  Whereas on 'Indy' not having them would make life somewhat interesting mooring her up in a strong cross wind.  What I absolutely hate about bow / stern thrusters is the horrendous noise they make whilst being used.  The reason for that is the shallow draft of most Broads cruisers.  The bow and stern thrusters on 'Indy' are proper strong ones and they are almost silent - Deeper draft of course

Griff

Has Griff not spoke to Robin about the bowthruster he wants to fit .Its got remote control, bluetooth, wifi,spotify and satnav.Sure to be a winner. :default_icon_liar:

Paul

• Like 1
  • Haha 4