Bow Thruster Fitting

This would rather indicate that should Griff become physically less able, he'd sooner sell his share in BA than make it suitable for use in his dotage.

Not gonna happen.

As long as I'm able to control the helm - then the deck crew can do the rest.  Besides to be honest even if I was to consider fitting a pu55y button to 'B.A' I'm not sure there is enough depth in her hog / fwd bow to facilitate one without major surgery.  That major surgery would no doubt fall on my shoulders, another reason for it not to happen - as if I needed one

Griff

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I'm not sure there is enough depth in her hog / fwd bow to facilitate one without major surgery.

This is a definite factor when trying to "retro-fit" a bow thruster to an already built boat.

Anyway, where I grew up, the "bow thruster" was the boat hook!

• Like 2

On 12/01/2019 at 19:05, BroadAmbition said:

Not gonna happen.

As long as I'm able to control the helm - then the deck crew can do the rest.  Besides to be honest even if I was to consider fitting a pu55y button to 'B.A' I'm not sure there is enough depth in her hog / fwd bow to facilitate one without major surgery.  That major surgery would no doubt fall on my shoulders, another reason for it not to happen - as if I needed one

Griff

The so called ***** button as  you call it is because my wife is disabled and no use at all when it comes to mooring up, and my balance is at best questionable since an infection damaged my inner ear, it's pretty much to ensure we are safe and don't put ourselves or others at risk when manovering  in tight spaces, like lots of things in life if it makes things easier and safer that's got to be a good thing, would you call abs on bikes like triumph tigers scardy cat brakes , no of course not , they are not essential but nice to have , thanks for all the other advice we have had a couple  of quotes and are progressing with our purchase , sorry for not replying or updating thread sooner but we are surrounded by boxes and busy busy sorting stuff out for the house move..

• Like 5

Hey Jocave, I ain't saying boats shouldn't have em, that's up to the owners, it's just not for me as I've said we couldn't fit one without a whole lot of bother even if we wanted one.  Down the road we will no doubt consider fitting a power winch for the mudweight as and when I/we get to the dotage stage of our live but as of yet we manage ok without.  The pu55y button name as it's called is generally well known.  I can't claim fame and fortune for thinking that one up, it's been out there for as long as I can remember.  I will freely admit the pu55y buttons on Indy (She had fwd and aft thrusters) are a real bonus / aid, and yes I have used them.

As well as the horrible noise they generally make, something else that grates with me is seeing hire boats trundling along on the river and the helm is using the fwd pu55y button whilst they are underway for course corrections - That surely can't be right let alone hardly efficient

As for the Tiger - No it doesn't have ABS, it was about the only optional extra I didn't specify when I ordered the bike.  I had considered it but had formed the opinion at the time that it led some bikers to put to much confidence in the system to get them out of trouble, I like to think of not getting into trouble in the first place, although I will freely admit I have got that one wrong too on the odd occasion.  Maybe I should have gone for the ABS in hindsight, but it's a complicated system that can't go wrong or need servicing

Griff

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

The scream of a protesting, abused bow thruster can be quite impressive!

You ought to hear them when they are trying to steer themselves into locks on the French canals. Some of them use little short bursts, as though they are trying to play "Ilkley Moor Bahtat" on the bow thruster! 

It doesn't work of course, as the turbulence from the thruster is being washed away by the forward motion of the boat, so it has little or no effect. A bow thruster should only be used when the boat itself is stationary.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

t doesn't work of course, as the turbulence from the thruster is being washed away by the forward motion of the boat, so it has little or no effect. A bow thruster should only be used when the boat itself is stationary.

I never knew that, and nor do a lot of other folkl!