• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Boatingman

Waveney River Centre Hire Cruisers

I have just received a New year email from Waveney river centre stating they are starting hiring out 

2 to 6 berth cruisers from easter no details as yet It states details will be in next newsletter or on facebook

Ray 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That could be very interesting. 

• Like 1

That's good news, given the shortage of South Broads hire boats. It will make a very nice starting location I feel and a good choice of first/last night moorings. 

• Like 3

Interesting that not long after the sale of Ferry in Horning, Len's associates restart the hire boat operation at WRC. I guess the new owners of Ferry must have known or expected such a development?

• Like 2

Details are a bit sketchy at the moment... I guess it will depend what moulds are in vogue.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Do we know for sure that all the hire boats were included in the sale of Ferry Marina??

The newsletter says “We think these Boating Holidays will be out of this world”. A bold statement so possibly something a bit different to the normal. Good news for the southern broads IMHO. I wish them well in their new venture.

• Like 4

Good news, Perfect spot for a long weekend aboard really.  Has there ever been a hirefleet out of there?

• Like 1

It is a good spot and hopefully will help attract more people to the South. We don't want everyone getting in on the secret, but a bit more of the tourism cash going that way wouldn't hurt :default_norty::default_norty:

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

It is a good spot and hopefully will help attract more people to the South. We don't want everyone getting in on the secret, but a bit more of the tourism cash going that way wouldn't hurt :default_norty::default_norty:

But you have moved up North ;) I'd love to be based back down south although Broadsedge is just too perfect!

A hire fleet did run from there many years ago named after football teams if my memory is correct I believe Peter (Jenny Morgan) was involved or knows about it.

Ray

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boatingman said:

A hire fleet did run from there many years ago named after football teams if my memory is correct I believe Peter (Jenny Morgan) was involved or knows about it. Ray

Indeed it did but it died a natural death being too far from a railway station at a time when trains were more or less synonymous with Broads Holidays. Later on Fowlers of Oulton Broad moved there with its fleet of 18 boats. That wasn't a huge success mainly because of being cut off from the outside world, no nearby pool of suitable staff, that there were far easier ways of making money, marina, pub and caravan site, plus a healthy offer from Ripplecraft of Somerleyton for the boats to be moved there which we gladly accepted.  A new hire yard, with customers arriving by car rather than train, must surely stand a good chance of success, I wish James & Co well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This would certainly be of great interest to us and I'm keeping an eye on their Facebook page from hereon. 

Mind you, we hired a day boat from there summer before last, and that road down to the site is a nightmare for anyone who gets nervous around single track lanes with passing places ... it seemed to go on forever!

• Like 2

On 01/01/2019 at 18:55, Graham47 said:

“We think these Boating Holidays will be out of this world”.

Probably going to name their boats after planets - Jupiter, Mars, Saturn etc. I guess they will start as they did at Horning with second hand boats, establishing the business and giving time to build new ones. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SwanR said:

This would certainly be of great interest to us and I'm keeping an eye on their Facebook page from hereon. 

Mind you, we hired a day boat from there summer before last, and that road down to the site is a nightmare for anyone who gets nervous around single track lanes with passing places ... it seemed to go on forever!

You aren`t joking! Was on that road a couple of days back in a Transit size van, seemed like 4 miles long. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most people in caravans do it once!! My mate caught his van and gauged the side when he had to pass a truck coming the other way. His fault, he loved the site but won’t be going back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

Probably going to name their boats after planets - Jupiter, Mars, Saturn etc. I guess they will start as they did at Horning with second hand boats, establishing the business and giving time to build new ones. 

Thinks... I wonder how many people wold make a booking over the phone saying "I'd like to hire Uranus"

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

But you have moved up North ;) 

Yeah, although not because of the location. I'd prefer to have a mooring like our current one, but in the South...

They don't seem to really exist, though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Thinks... I wonder how many people wold make a booking over the phone saying "I'd like to hire Uranus"

You never know,it's a funny old world:default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Reply:

Would that be for three nights, four nights or a full week, sir?

• Haha 2

I've only ever driven down that road once, around 20 years ago. It sticks in my mind how long it seemed to take and how relieved I was to reach WRC. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

only you MM, now go saturn yours.

• Haha 2

If I drive to the WRC then I tend to head that way from Haddiscoe rather than Gillingham, darn sight easier. 

• Thanks 1