Waveney River Centre Hire Cruisers

Boatingman

More fleets down south can only be a good thing.

I know many people prefer the southern rivers (I'm one of those people) and throughout the year there are always plenty of Northern hire boats making the trip. I think that probably many experienced boaters mainly hire from the North because the bigger yards have such a choice of boats and make it so much more affordable, and if they're out for a week or more then the two 'travel' days is no major hardship and potentially all part of the fun.

Certainly when I was out last year for Whitsun half term, pretty much all of Ricko's available boats were out and there was a big convoy of boats coming down to WRC and Oulton Broad.

I think the demand is there, but how it is marketed, positioned and priced is where the challenge lies.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

The larger 36 foot craft look very similar to the 37 foot Zircon Emblem which was moulded and delivered complete  to Ferry Marina from Haines.

They are.

Haines reworked Ferry's existing mouldings to improve the aesthetics and as part of the works they produced one complete boat.

Ferry have since completed further boats themselves from those mould tools, some of which have a similar layout and finish to the one Haines produced. I don't know who actually laid up the sets of mouldings, but the fitout was certainly in-house.

The Haines-built boat has stayed at Ferry, I believe.

• Thanks 2

Hi,

Waveney River Centre do build boats and as far as I can see none of the Ferry fleet is moving to WRC ? Tranquil Emblem the newest boat in the Ferry fleet was built/fitted out at WRC not at Ferry as confirmed by a You Tube video on the subject, Tranquil Emblem 2 which was mentioned on the website has now disappeared therefore its likely that this one if built stayed at WRC for the new hire fleet, as far as I can tell the fleet appears to all new 2018/9. I note one of the descriptions mentions 27ft suggesting the smaller low level bridge friendly mould may also appear (also used as day cruiser in the current WRC/Ferry fleet) although the pictures don't reflect this.

Neil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matt said:

I presume they will be moored and turned around in the current visitors mooring basin?

I'm hoping not because that could impact on available mooring space and turning space. The day boats are on the main river so I'm wondering if there's space for the new craft there also. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what happens in respect of mooring fees when WRC hire craft visiit other boat hire yards. Under the the arrangement at Ferry Marina, hire craft from other hire boat federation boatyards moored free of charge at Ferry Marina and boats from Ferry Marina moored free of charge in other hire boat federation boatyards. Under the new set up, as boats in the hireboat federation are currently charged to moor overnight at WRC, l assume it is possible that hire boats from WRC may be charged to moor overnight in hire boat federation boatyards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looked just now and I got pics and layouts plus pricing. Waveny Pisces looks a lot like one that was in the yard where my folks moor and was then at NYA Horning recently - if it is the same boat she is really lovely with an interesting layout, dual helm flybridge with wells and doors both fore and aft! Possibly a Sheerline 900 Sunbridge?

8 hours ago, WherryNice said:

I must admit I never really looked closely at the upper helm, bit of a shame if its all cramped.

It is not at all, but compromise had to be allowed for, so it means a bit of loss of headroom in the shower compartment below. It is difficult to fit "everything" into a small boat. These were indeed the Cirrus , built and designed for Crown Blue Line by Bounty Boats, although this one at WRC is a more modern version. I had the pleasure of being involved closely in the original design and specification, and Susie and I have had one or two very enjoyable cruises in them on the French canals.

These are a very comfortable little boat for two people and I can well recommend them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
James Knight, managing director of Waveney River Centre, said: “We know the quality of our boating holidays will be out of this world, which is why we’ve chosen to name our cruisers after constellations.
Oh dear.

Nothing like setting the bar high is there?!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, marshman said:

He makes it sound like his idea to have the hire cruisers at Waveney and its a whole new concept - methinks its very much his father in law at the helm, aided and abetted by the office manager from Ferry in Horning!!! 

Yup. And it's Len who is sourcing the new boats which will come later..

• 1 month later...