It's Early January, No Strictly

10 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Postcard answer - Opportunity Knocks with Huey Green ?

Griff

I'm glad you posted that Griff otherwise that was going to bug me all day because I couldn't remember where I had heard it. The only thing I could think of was 321 and Dusty Bin! :default_rofl:

19 hours ago, vanessan said:

I can honestly say I’ve never heard of that although I’m sure it would have been on in my young days. Can you put a year to it Carole?

It could have been as early as the late 40s as I was very young but certainly early fifties I'd imagine. In the same programme there were stories about a cowboy called Hank which were told in a somewhat crude aniimated form.

Carole

12 minutes ago, addicted said:

It could have been as early as the late 40s as I was very young but certainly early fifties I'd imagine. In the same programme there were stories about a cowboy called Hank which were told in a somewhat crude aniimated form.

According to Google it seems to have run from 1950-1956 I believe

1 hour ago, chameleon said:

ray , that was michael miles on take your pick

I thought that at first but now I’m not so sure. Take Your Pick was ‘open the box or take the money’ wasn’t it? Hughie Green definitely used the phrase (amongst others) ‘and I mean that quite sincerely folks’. They were the days of innocent television although I do believe behind the scenes all may not have been so ‘pure’!

3 hours ago, addicted said:

Carole

Now Hank I do vaguely remember!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I thought that at first but now I’m not so sure. Take Your Pick was ‘open the box or take the money’ wasn’t it? Hughie Green definitely used the phrase (amongst others) ‘and I mean that quite sincerely folks’. They were the days of innocent television although I do believe behind the scenes all may not have been so ‘pure’!

That's how he used to sign off -"This is your quiz inquisitor Michael Miles saying Goodnight". Not forgetting Bob Danvers Walker with his gong in the Yes No Interlude. "So you're Bert Bloggs from Basildon?", "Yes",  Bong. Next!!!! Oh, how we laughed! No wonder I'm a bit simple now, our brains were addled with this nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

I think the Hughie Green quote may have originated on  " Double Your Money"

Carole

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vanessan said:

Hughie Green definitely used the phrase (amongst others) ‘and I mean that quite sincerely folks’.

He did indeed, in the golden era of the catchphrase. 

Green was Paula Yates' father of course, who married Bob Geldof, so their daughter Peaches grandfather. 

• Like 1