Lifejacket V's Dehumidifier

Something a little strange just happened. 

I'm having a tidy up here at home, and dug out some old auto lifejackets out from a cupboard and put in them next to the dehumidifier which it's on and running... It may be coincidence but one auto jacket just went off itself!?! I know you guys love a challenge can anyone work out why this went off itself? Clearly these things should go off when they are wet not perhaps when being dried? The cartridge is way out of date (2014), to be honest I didn't know they was in there. 

Also does anyone know how I get the bloody air out of it now?? 

• Like 1

Maybe the auto inflator was a little damp, but not enough to set it off and the movement combined with drying out (shrinking) the paper inflator was just enough.

Would have been funnier if you had been trying it and went to the loo and got wedged in the head!!! Or was the question on how to deflate sent from the head?:default_icon_bowdown:

good reminder though to check all mine. 

Just some numbers to give perspective. 

Parts per per million in air we breathe in roughly 400PPM.

Air we breathe out when exercising roughly 40,000PPM. 

So so no you’re going to suffer any ill effects from the very small volume of gas in a canister for a life jacket. 

Nuclear subs  run at something over 3000 PPM all the time with no ill effects. 

Humans show ZERO response to elevated levels of CO2 lower than 5000 PPM. 

At elevated levels what you feel actually isn’t real at all it’s feels like an inability to breathe however the oxygen is still being absorbed effectively. The stress felt is due to the elevated level of co2 not a lack of oxygen. Carbon Monoxide is the one to worry about. Not Carbon Dioxide. 

Humans produce huge volumes of this gas just respiring , but the human amount from any and all sources  is dwarved by that produced by termites by an order of magnitude in fact. Those pesky devils also produce the worlds largest input of methane too. Pesky little blighters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Yall.. I did read through a YBW post and seems it's pretty common for these to go off themselves if they are past the sell by date.. Certainly a perfect time to check them really I guess.

I must say this is the first time I've seen one of these inflated (touch wood) and it wasn't inflated that well or that large of an area, I'm really not sure it would help with my erm mass.. Although I use a better one. I guess maybe the CO thing was a bit old too, it kinda spelt like rotten eggs when it went off. Thankfully no dizzyness from deflating it although with this pesky manflu I have I probably wouldn't have noticed.

No lessons learnt though, check them all, no point having them if they are unusable...

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

Thanks Yall.. I did read through a YBW post and seems it's pretty common for these to go off themselves if they are past the sell by date.. Certainly a perfect time to check them really I guess.

I must say this is the first time I've seen one of these inflated (touch wood) and it wasn't inflated that well or that large of an area, I'm really not sure it would help with my erm mass.. Although I use a better one. I guess maybe the CO thing was a bit old too, it kinda spelt like rotten eggs when it went off. Thankfully no dizzyness from deflating it although with this pesky manflu I have I probably wouldn't have noticed.

No lessons learnt though, check them all, no point having them if they are unusable...

Hello Alan, 

We always change the gas bottles at the same time as he activator use by date, you usually get a couple of years on them when the kits are purchased. We have four auto life jackets on Ranworth Breeze and change the cartridges and activators  at the same time and leave one of the old kits as standby.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1