Somerleyton Bridge!

Guest Jupiter Mist

Hi all,

an update on Somerleyton Bridge!!! :naughty:two gunstwo guns

After a fabulous weekend meet with many other NBN members at WRC, with the sea conditions not looking good to get back, a few of us chose to see if the bridge test at "somerleyton" would allow us to pass through at the same time, and cut out the sea route.

On arrival things didnt look good and the bridge were none too keen to let the three of us (R&R, Clandestine and Sea Hunter) attempt to pass through on their "test". Infact, beyond that, there was no further communication from the bridge! More than less than helpful!

After an hour of waiting for some kind of advice as to whether they were going to attempt a swing, we called the BA and suggested they might want to send a ranger to "negotiate " our passage, as by this time, Ian, robert and I had anchored in the approach to the bridge and we were causing uneccessary grief to other boaters!

BA responded promptly and sent a lovely chap (who we know) and we explained that we needed to make a decision on whether to wait till tide drops and start removing boat parts to get under the bridge later, or all take a detour and moor up at Lukes (luckys) oulton broad establishment!!! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

With the help of the BA, we learnt that the earlier attempts to test swing had failed due to the hot weather causing the bridge to stick (ie nothing to do with the bearing that was being replaced).

Anyway to cut a long story short....another attempt was made at 4pm to open and.....wooo-hoo...they opened the bridge fully...allowing the three of us to pass!

Now!

We cannot confirm that the bridge is now functioning as normal...we can only say that we did infact pass through it this afternoon, so things are looking quite promising!.

I will take this opportunity to say how impressed I was with the response from BA to send a ranger at literally minutes notice to assist us in resolving what could have turned out to be an ugly situation!!! (ie three sealines forming a blockade!!!!) :pirate:naughty::naughty::naughty: :pirate

Leroy Bling (aka Volvo pentaman!)

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Hooligans!!!!! Yosser Hughesat the Helm (Boys from the Black Stuff!!) Or was it Citizen Smith (In the case of Adam!)

We were listening in on 12 - very entertaining!! :pirate

Come the glorious day bruvva, up against the wall, bop bop bop. Ah i remember it well :lol::lol::lol:

Have to admit that Adam is a total rebel when it comes to demonstrating and led both the crew of Clandestine and R&R completely astray. :naughty::naughty:

Chanel 6 did become the plotting channel with even infiltration discussed at one time. (popping bits of boats in the way of the bridge if any daylight came visible)

The plan was to do 6 swings, all test with the first just a few inches and then each consecutive swing being slightly further all with much measuring.

Think the sight of three Sealine warriors, anchored in the river at staggered intervals making passage all but impossible, may have proved incidental in the first test reaching full open.

Many thanks to the bridge operator, think Adam must have flipped from channel 12 to 6 for more plotting when responses did come and although not a lot of information was passed on I am sure it was all that Mr. operator had and he did patiently answer each call.

And thanks for the mediation offered by Mr. BA Ranger and Network Rail, think a thank you should also go to the men with the hammers who did in fact get the bridge open for us.

I am sure we are all aware of where in Network Rail the disgraceful performance regarding fixing and maintaining the swing bridges lies and it most definitely is not with the boys on the ground. cheersbar

Have to admit that Adam is a total rebel when it comes to demonstrating and led both the crew of Clandestine and R&R completely astray. :naughty::naughty:

Chanel 6 did become the plotting channel with even infiltration discussed at one time. (popping bits of boats in the way of the bridge if any daylight came visible)

The plan was to do 6 swings, all test with the first just a few inches and then each consecutive swing being slightly further all with much measuring.

Think the sight of three Sealine warriors, anchored in the river at staggered intervals making passage all but impossible, may have proved incidental in the first test reaching full open.

Many thanks to the bridge operator, think Adam must have flipped from channel 12 to 6 for more plotting when responses did come and although not a lot of information was passed on I am sure it was all that Mr. operator had and he did patiently answer each call.

And thanks for the mediation offered by Mr. BA Ranger and Network Rail, think a thank you should also go to the men with the hammers who did in fact get the bridge open for us.

I am sure we are all aware of where in Network Rail the disgraceful performance regarding fixing and maintaining the swing bridges lies and it most definitely is not with the boys on the ground. cheersbar

Doh! its always me isnt it!!! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

On a serious note, regardless of whether Network Rail intended on fully opening the bridge today or not, two things are definitely worth mentioning.

1. The project for replacement was carried out more or less in the (although somewhat rediculously long) published time so hats off for that to NR on this occasion..... and...

2. BA and NR have had a practical demonstration that the river is for navigating and that river users 'could' if need be, become 'lawfully disobidient' and could cause problems if they are not rightfully represented and this should serve at least as a 'warning' that licensees' tollerance to loss of navigation is not taken lightly!!! All beware!! :pirate

Sorry can't edit post but mine should have read, thanks to the mediation from BA Ranger with Network rail. with exception to the Bridge operator and the Men with hammers I would not wish to express any gratitude for the assistance that NR have provided.

Gavin you are absolutely right and I think the next broken bridge may well be met with a rafted pontoon party of boats effected, crossing the entire river.

It will not be until the problem is causing sufficient embarrassment to NR that anything will be done and a bit of local and national coverage will do their PR no good at all.

the BA will not be able to insist that boats move as for those involved the navigation will already be blocked and all will merely be waiting to make lawful passage.

Those too tall to fit under bridges that are supposed to swing are no longer prepared to be trodden on.

:Stinky:Stinky:Stinky BOAT POWER

hi guys,

channel 12 was like ,ermmm, entertaining lol,,anyway today mon,we arrived at the bridge at 1145 and the guys were working on it,the bridge was showing one red flag ,and the sign saying bridge will open,the operator comfirmed that they were carrying out test swings all day.Thier bieng 9ft 6 inches showing we slipped under.....holy backsides it was close!! i now know every rivets dimensions!! :o