James Knight's Blog

JennyMorgan

James has said elsewhere that to continue would cost him thirty thousand pounds. Twenty or so years ago I was in a similar position with my local authority and I was then told that it would cost me twenty-five thousand pounds and even if I won, as I probably would have done, there was no guarantee that I would be able to recover my costs and that it would tie up related matters for not less than two years,  I suspect James is now in the same or a similar position. In my opinion James has made the right decision.

PS, by the way, I won the 'related matter'!  

• Like 4

Vaughan, I do believe that your quote is slightly misleading, which is colouring JM's response, it is always said there is a bible quotation for every event, but looking at other translations of that verse in this instance translates differently - ie 

It is hard for you to kick against the goads

so in your quotation the word pricks is not being used in the vernacular, but to infer constant attacks or digs at someone

prick noun [ C ] (FEELING)

5 hours ago, grendel said:

Vaughan, I do believe that your quote is slightly misleading, which is colouring JM's response, it is always said there is a bible quotation for every event, but looking at other translations of that verse in this instance translates differently - ie 

so in your quotation the word pricks is not being used in the vernacular, but to infer constant attacks or digs at someone

No, not misleading at all! It was bang on the money, one way or another and probably both at the same time.

1 hour ago, marshman said:

And surely its time to move on? James has a business to run - personally  I would be glad to get away from the hassle and concentrate on doing my job!

I'm sure that James would dearly love to do just that but, unlike some, James clearly cares for the environment that he he lives and works in. My hat is well and truly off to James for both sticking to his guns and more importantly, standing up for the long term good of the Broads, the one that his children and grandchildren will inherit. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, marshman said:

For what its worth, I still think James could be better employed full time at WRC rather than as a activist!

If it is JP's downfall he is after, then it will take someone higher up the food chain I am afraid! And he will exist even if you all doubt it!!

I'm not so sure that JP's downfall is the ultimate aim, after all the devil you know is better than the one that you don't. Jame's blogs clearly highlight the Authority's more objectionable shortcomings, righting those blatant wrongs is, I suggest, the ultimate aim of both James and a large number of the Little People. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Now there I think I do agree with you. The Dr with clipped wings would be the better outcome.

I think we have established that there is nobody prepared to bite that bullet though? DEFRA aren’t interested sufficiently (apparently) to intervene so nothing can seemingly be done. As long as there are people like James to chip away though, maybe something will give - eventually. 

• Like 4

I think that bringing it to peoples attention is the important thing, then when you see something being done that may not look quite correct, questions will begin to be asked, rather than ignoring the problem and assuming it is a one off incident, once people are aware of the issue, its less likely that little things will be ignored, and more chance someone will question an iffy decision.

• Like 2

I am holding on to the old saying “give someone enough rope and they eventually hang themselves”

At some point something has got to give.  Dictators usually end up getting toppled and in my hopeful mind its only a matter of time.  

How does it work with pensions?

Will Toll Payers be covering pensions for these people long after they finally get themselves removed or is that not where the money comes from? It should not be a given Job for life, how many people can say they have that kind of security these days? 

You would think they would be grateful for their standing and not abuse privileged positions.  No matter how good you “think” you are theres always someone better, maybe even cheaper.

Ive said before, a person who has to remove folk as they cant deal with different opinions is a dangerous person to have on the payroll. But he just carries on doing it.  Makes him look terrible in my opinion. 

• Like 2