James Knight's Blog

JennyMorgan

In this case links to the relevant blogs, information that James is content to go public with, have been provided. I'm, to a degree, between the devil and the deep blue sea on this one, I can only publish a link when the author goes public, I'm sure that you can appreciate that. From my perspective James is more articulate and very often better informed than myself so I am content to pass on links to his blogs.

• Like 2

For anyone wondering who Richard Starling is then here's his profile as a member of The Broads Forum, the now defunct BA consultative group:

Member: Richard Starling. Organisation: Broads Reed and Sedge Cutters Association Richard Starling is a member of the Broads Reed and Sedge Cutters Association (Brasca). Richard lives at Somerton and harvests reed and sedge at Martham Broad National Nature Reserve on the Upper Thurne. Richard is also a Parish Councillor, a member of Norfolk Wildlife Trust and a member of the British Association of Shooting and Conservation. Brasca was formed in 2003 to represent the interests of self-employed reed and sedge cutters working in the Broads. The cutting industry was previously in decline but close working with the Broads Authority has brought about many improvements. Problems with poor access onto remote or difficult reed beds have been solved and old equipment replaced with assistance from the Authority’s Sustainable Development Fund. The improvements have helped to attract younger persons into reed and sedge cutting which in turn will ensure the future of this sustainable management of the Broads reed beds and fens. Brasca’s priorities remain to increase reed and sedge production to meet the needs of the UK thatching industry which is still heavily dependent on imported materials. Importance must be placed on working with wildlife and seeking improvements to the environment and in particular with the water quality of our Broads and rivers. Brasca supports the need for the local population in the Broads to have elected representation on the Broads Authority.

Richard has also been on the committee of the Broads Society.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3