• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Pumpmedic

Anyone Recognise This As A Broom?

Evening,

Came across this and current owner of 18yrs say`s it is a one off bespoke Broom 37. Welcome any insight from you knowledgeable people of the forum.

Broom 37 one off.jpg

• Like 1

That is one good looking boat! Don't take this as gospel but whilst the hull looks familiar, might be Broom or Aquafibre, the topsides look to be a one off, possibly sheathed ply. I really like the look of this one, even though it doesn't have a sail! It looks well thought out with no unnecessary bling!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks JM, interior looks good as well. Good point about the topside as I hadn`t considered that.

9 minutes ago, Maxwellian said:

Yes I remember it well, one broom lasted X years! lol

Sorry for the tangent so early in the thread, first thing that I thought of.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

Thanks JM, interior looks good as well. Good point about the topside as I hadn`t considered that.

Thanks.

The panels, although well proportioned and she does look right, appear to lack the curves that one might expect of a moulded structure. I might well be wrong though!

Funny thing about it is there is only one window in the rear cabin, at the centre of the bow as expected but no others.

Haven`t seen it in the flesh but the photos do look good and I can afford it. Still running the 2.5 Thorneycraft engine though.

Windows don't look Broomlike! Notice how they are all in rubber frames - or look like it! That's not like Brooms either.

Picture looks like the Thames - boat looks pristine on its maiden cruise - is that a clue??

Cannot see what she`s called or any reg number.If you know any of them, have a look  at the website " the boat index" that may give some indication.

paul

• Like 1

Sent a couple of photos to BOC as suggested and I`ll try that site, thanks Paul.

26 minutes ago, scaniaman said:

Cannot see what she`s called or any reg number.If you know any of them, have a look  at the website " the boat index" that may give some indication.

paul

Well according to that site she is a Broom built in 1982 however where as the site say`s 30 x 10ft the owner claims 37 x 12, at least the 2.5 engine matches.

Marshman is absolutely right about the windows, probably built for the Thames as a river rather than as an estuary boat.  Is she single or twin screw?

Single 2.5 Thorneycraft engine. Can you explain about different windows for the Thames build.

Ow Much14.jpg

Ow Much11.jpg

Ow Much18.jpg

Ow Much12.jpg

Ow Much13.jpg

• Thanks 1

By very definition, she can't be a Broom unless they built her. If the builder was sold a full or partial set of mouldings for fitting out, then it's an Aquafibre. 

A lot of stuff gets listed by brokers as 'Broom' because a) they don't know any better and b) it sounds good.

The hull does look like it could be Aquafibre, certainly, and I'd agree that the superstructure looks to be DIY so it'd need to be very carefully surveyed.

• Like 2

I say!

Very nicely fitted out inside. That is definitely a one - off job. Looks more like a Cotswolds pub!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

That's tasty! Re the windows, rubber gasketed windows of the time were prone to popping out, large ones even breaking if a heavy wave came over the side. As for the single engine, two are not really required on the Broads, or the Thames for that matter. To my mind she's an out and out river cruiser and a very nice one too.

3 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

By very definition, she can't be a Broom unless they built her. If the builder was sold a full or partial set of mouldings for fitting out, then it's an Aquafibre. 

A lot of stuff gets listed by brokers as 'Broom' because a) they don't know any better and b) it sounds good.

The hull does look like it could be Aquafibre, certainly, and I'd agree that the superstructure looks to be DIY so it'd need to be very carefully surveyed.

You fancy doing the survey? The more I look the more I like her for the money being asked.