Anyone Recognise This As A Broom?

2 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

You fancy doing the survey? 

I think Vaughan may have just spat his tea out at that one...

I'm no marine surveyor. I have a reasonable knowledge of Broads boats but not in terms of the technical detail you'd need to inform a purchase.

• Haha 1

What I would say is that be very aware that this boat may well have a wooden superstructure, and if that's the case then you're looking at wooden boat levels of maintenance on the exterior.

An all-fibreglass boat will cost you more, but will just need a good wash at the start of the season and ideally a polish and to then be kept clean and sensibly looked after.

Any wooden boat really wants to be kept in a wet shed, and that will cost you more every year than just a regular mooring. You can of course put a cover on it, but then you've got to keep that maintained and keep taking the thing back on and off every time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I think Vaughan may have just spat his tea out at that one...

It was a glass of Minervois Rosé actually.    :6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:

Note the emoticon, for Broadscot's birthday.

Its hard to tell from photos but that does look like an AF hull and the windows are what you might see in a steel boat such as a Pedro. Again I am guessing but the superstructure appears to be in plywood which, hopefully is of marine grade. In which case I recommend a survey to make sure that the ply has not started to delaminate. It all looks a bit "new" to me, so hopefully no damage has been done but when plywood delaminates, you are too late.

There does not appear to be a canopy for the upper steering position so that plywood varnished top is totally exposed to the weather, as is the instrument panel itself.

Nothing wrong with a BMC 2.5 diesel. Indestructible!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The hull certainly looks like a Broom 37 hull. But it's probably a custom top as suggested. Was the Hulls sold off as just Hulls?

Don't forget the BOC is only for "True Blood" Brooms, lol. Hopefully you get an answer, If not I can try and stick on the owners facebook group and see if anyone can shed more info although I suspect no more than advised already :) 

3 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

The hull certainly looks like a Broom 37 hull. But it's probably a custom top as suggested. Was the Hulls sold off as just Hulls?

Don't forget the BOC is only for "True Blood" Brooms, lol. Hopefully you get an answer, If not I can try and stick on the owners facebook group and see if anyone can shed more info although I suspect no more than advised already :) 

lol, read about the BOC and being "True Blood" from another thread on here. I`ve sent them a few photo`s and fully expect a "Nay" in response tbh.

Might take you up on the facebook offer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pumpmedic said:

read about the BOC and being "True Blood" from another thread on here

I'm not sure I agree.... but pomp and tradition of being with the brand, I suspect it will change though considering the sad end of production. 

Let me know, it's more of a social club/group though than a knowledge group, I suspect we have more knowledge on here but certainly worth a shot if needed.

• Thanks 1

If it is a one off, you should be aware it will have a more limited appeal in the marketplace - it may also be a slightly unusual construction all of which will affect resale value.

But whatever you do, do not think having a proper survey is a waste of money - its for your own peace of mind and quite literally your insurance.

That upper steering has River Thames written all over it and you should remember that at that time there were a number of boatbuilders on the Thames who could have put it together.

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with the Claytonrite window seal for inland waterway use or sheltered estuary. They are not suitable for open water sailing because they can be "punched in".  

Going back to the 50s, 60s and 70s they were used extensively on boats, cars and caravans. One of their problems on boats was the accuracy of the builders jigsaw, especially on the corners where there was a tendancy to go oversize having pencilled round the pane, be it glass or plastic. On the plus side the system makes window replacement easy. Before working on such windows it is advisable to purchase a "Claytonrite Laceing Tool" to insert the tightening strip.

Personally I have never had a problem with this type of window but have had plenty of leaks in the Seaglaze metal surround type. I think it is because they can flex with the boat more readily and there is no sealant to harden or  have UV effect.

52 minutes ago, marshman said:

If it is a one off, you should be aware it will have a more limited appeal in the marketplace - it may also be a slightly unusual construction all of which will affect resale value.

But whatever you do, do not think having a proper survey is a waste of money - its for your own peace of mind and quite literally your insurance.

Thanks for all replies much appreciated and a proper survey will/ would of been done as my head rules my heart lol.

Anybody want to take a guess at the asking price based on 1982 Broom, thorneycraft 2.5 engine, bsc march 2020, strong bank of batteries, hot & cold pumped water, meaco dehumidifier, inverter, vetus 1.5kw thruster, 4 burner gas cooker, full size 12v or 240v fridge, all singing bells & all microwave, electronic safe, trumatic warm air system, 240v/ 12v lights, usb sockets. Looks like solid wood fit out everywhere and a large folder of receipts / paperwork.

• Like 1

I found it on preloved, lots of pictures and though I don't know much and wouldn't want to cast aspersions, something doesn't seem right.

Also this on canalplan.org.uk

Ow Much Built by Broom in 1982 - Length : 9.2 metres ( 30 feet 2 inches ) - Beam : 3.1 metres ( 10 feet 2 inches )
Powered by an Inboard Diesel engine with a capacity of 2500 CC. Registered with Environment Authority - Thames Region number F041532 as a Non Hire Annual Private Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Thursday 23rd May 2013 ) "

9 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

Well that`s sunk the "Take a guess at how much" competition - Cheers mate!

Yep found the same info as I said earlier.

So what doesn`t sit right with you about it?

Sorry   :default_icon_redface: ....well they can still have a guess.

I have seen up close under the floor of a Broom built around that time and the quality of the timber work on this one doesn't look anywhere near as good.

Yeah interesting. Although it looks in good condition, I'd say for 1 it's way over priced. I won't say how much we paid for our Crown but you will find Ocean 37's and continentials listed for the same price.. they don't sell for that price but yeah I won't pay anywhere near that listing price.

In terms of the interior it's certainly looks to be a non broom interior from the ones I've seen. There are a number of little things which looks a little broomy but it could just be copied slightly.  The floor beams though look as simularly crude to our floor beams but it could be the case that this was how it was supplied. Needless to say ours is a "True blood" lol.. (Number 3 apparently).

Look outside of Norfolk and the thames for a good prices ;) Don't forget that the Perkins engines are being hard to maintain now although I know where to get some supplies. Happy to help with anything though.

There really is no 'true blood' argument to have.

• Aquafibre was Broom's sister company and they used to lay up all of the mouldings.
  • There were a set available for anyone to buy, and once a Broom model had finished its production run (and in some cases during) those mouldings were also made available for any yard to buy as a set of mouldings - or indeed just a hull.
  • If it wasn't fitted out by Broom, it's not a Broom. It's that simple.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, oldgregg said:

There really is no 'true blood' argument to have.

• Aquafibre was Broom's sister company and they used to lay up all of the mouldings.
  • There were a set available for anyone to buy, and once a Broom model had finished its production run (and in some cases during) those mouldings were also made available for any yard to buy as a set of mouldings - or indeed just a hull.
  • If it wasn't fitted out by Broom, it's not a Broom. It's that simple.

So something like this... could an individual buy a hull alone? or was these sold to a yard to fit out as required?

I kinda disagree with the non broom thing.. surely a boat is all about the hull really? If it's a "Broom" design hull then it's a Broom boat etc (Ok what's up top matters for resale etc but I would think it's cool to honour the reputation of the hull?).  I must admit though this does seem a bit unique to Broom or other norfolk builders as other manufactures didn't really do this as far as I know.

Yes they could buy all or part of the mouldings. DIY was a thing back then.

No! If it was BUILT by Broom as a production model it's a Broom, otherwise it's an Aquafibre.

Even technically if it was a non-production model built by Broom it's an Aquafibre - ie if it were a Crystal 37 built by Broom (I don't think they built any of that design, but you get what I mean).

• Like 1

As for guessing the price, with no prior knowledge on this one I'd suggest 35K. I don't know that Aquafibre were particularly fussy as to who they sold their mouldings to. The layout suggests that the builder knew something about boats. My only reservation would be if it was DIY by a house builder! She appears to be unique and a lot of people will be shy of the single engine but for me that would be a part of the attraction. As for the possibility of the superstructure being timber, If it's been well sheathed, and maintained then I see no problem. It's a combination that I would be happy with, especially as condensation will be less of a problem.

3 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

Explains a lot of the BOC's views then ;) Interesting stuff though.

Yeah I think they're perfectly correct in their stance.

I've seen an Aquafibre Pearl 38 on the Broads to which the owner has added 'Broom 38' badges because Broom fitted it out. It's a Broom fitout, but that boat will never be a 'Broom 38' because it's not a production model. There is a Broom 38, and that's something different entirely.

• Haha 1

All Broom Skippers seem to be sold as Broom Skippers no matter who by or where they were fitted out.... not even as Aquafibre Skippers!

As for the boat in question on here I have seen similar style interior in an Andrews (of Bourne End) build. They used to buy in hulls for their new builds and were quite prolific builders of both cruisers, some sea going, and slipper launches. 

My first question would be what are the bulkheads made of? You can always tell the quality of a build by the material behind the veneers or formica's. There are a lot of chipboard bulkheads out there!

A well maintained plywood top will be better than a poor condition fibreglass one by the way. 

12 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

All Broom Skippers seem to be sold as Broom Skippers no matter who by or where they were fitted out.... not even as Aquafibre Skippers!

As for the boat in question on here, My first question would be what are the bulkheads made of? You can always tell the quality of a build by the material behind the veneers or formica's. There are a lot of chipboard bulkheads out there!

A well maintained plywood top will be better than a poor condition fibreglass one by the way. 

Wouldn`t expect a Broom fit out to use chipboard or am I being naive?

Interesting what you say about a well maintained plywood top, I was just searching 4mm and 6mm plate. :default_biggrin: