Anyone Recognise This As A Broom?

1 hour ago, Pumpmedic said:

Thanks however I`ve been given pointers to tell if it is a Broom fit out and same for the hull with or without the builders plate after all if people can swap a vin plate on a car then surely the builders plate is a doddle unless I`m missing something which wouldn`t be the first time lol. 

Very true but my gut feeling is that there won't be one. The advert features well over 100 pictures but not one of the builders plate, surprising, just about everything else has been photographed.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

Great questions and points being raised, much appreciated people.

Maybe I should hire a minibus and take some of you with me to the viewing. :default_beerchug:

I wouldn't if there is a pub nearby. They may never get to the boat :default_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I've just had a peruse of all those photos and she certainly is an impressive craft if bought at the right price. The look of the window arrangement has a vague suggestion of that used in the Dutch steel boats like Stevens and Linssen. Oddly enough I found myself hummimg a certain song! " Oi! Where's me tiger head "?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

window arrangement has a vague suggestion of that used in the Dutch steel boats

Funny that you should write that! It crossed my mind that she might now have a steel superstructure. Not likely but not impossible. My train of thought, now, is that the forward section of superstructure is basically original whilst the aft cabin is of a later date. It is certainly a tad box like and slightly at odds with rest of the boat, sufficient to warrant asking questions. 

Unless things have changed drastically the good folk at Penton Hook are very helpful, they might also be able to answer a few questions.

• Like 2

Great minds, and all that! I have been thinking that it looks as though someone has put the superstructure of a Dutch steel Pedro on the Broom hull. But they can't have done, surely? It would capsize!

It will be interesting when we finally know the pedigree of this boat but I suspect that there has been a serious re-build from the original.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

It will be interesting when we finally know the pedigree of this boat but I suspect that there has been a serious re-build from the original.

Several years ago now a friend of mine had a small yard & moorings where the engine compartment of a sport cruiser caught fire causing severe damage. The end result was a quality repair with the boat being two feet longer, a new aft cabin and engine room plus the hull was re-lined! A quality job, the owner was well pleased.

• Like 1

Having reviewed the advert I think that as a condition of purchase I would insist on a new boat safety certificate being issued. I say this because a number of pictures show a mass of electrical wiring which I truly doubt to have been professionally installed. Let's just say, room for concern, and maybe a price drop. The advert has also had a large number of views yet she is still up for sale thus the vendor might well be open to a realistic offer, good luck.  It's unusual to see white painted rubbing strakes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Having reviewed the advert I think that as a condition of purchase I would insist on a new boat safety certificate being issued. I say this because a number of pictures show a mass of electrical wiring which I truly doubt to have been professionally installed. Let's just say, room for concern, and maybe a price drop. The advert has also had a large number of views yet she is still up for sale thus the vendor might well be open to a realistic offer, good luck.  It's unusual to see white painted rubbing strakes.

Thanks for the concerns, I had made a note of the wiring and it is one of several points I am awaiting a reply on. 

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I say this because a number of pictures show a mass of electrical wiring which I truly doubt to have been professionally installed.

I have just looked up this advert and there seems to have been a retro - fit of 220 v plug points around the boat, presumably so that one can stay aboard in a marina on shore power. I agree that this arrangement should be thoroughly tested by an electrician, especially for earthing.

There are certain areas of the interior which are reminiscent of Brooms outfitting but others that are not. It all looks very new with very high standard of varnishing so I expect the boat has just had a very extensive refurbishment. Below the floorboards, it is another matter! A lot of bodging by the look of it. The Trumatic gas heater, however, is very efficient and very quiet. You can run them independent of shore power.

The poor old engine looks as though it has been left to fend for itself for many years but at least it is the later Thornycroft marinisation rather than the original BMC Commander. I notice hydraulic drive, which is a plus point.

That's all I can guess, from the photos!

• Like 1