Anyone Recognise This As A Broom?

Interesting to note that 'Ow Much' was for sale at least by June of last year. Either she is too expensive or there are other issues. Done well there shouldn't be an issue with sheathed ply. The quality of the joinery in the bilges is not high and I do marvel at the quantity of exposed fastenings.  If the person that fitted the topsides also fitted the floors and frames then I would be tempted to walk away.  As it is I would want an engineer to listen to that engine, dear old job if you have to replace it. The owner probably won't want another year of mooring fees etc., go in at 20k and stand firm. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

I`ve decided to walk away.

Why are Aquafibre Diamonds 35ft so darn expensive? Looked at one this afternoon, 1998 with Nanni engine, plenty of space for two, nice enough layout but asking the best part of £60k!!!

Firstly what people price their boats at is only a starting point, try an insulting offer! 

Secondly, probably wise to walk away. 

• Like 1

A bit of advice from a relatively new boat owner. Dont rush into buying. Myself and another NBN  member ( who will remain nameless unless he wants to admit it too!) belong to ' 3 Boats in a Year Club'.   

The first was too small, the second due to a back injury made it no longer suitable, our third, we feel finally is the right one despite a lot of work that needs doing.  We looked at many boats before buyng again, which we should have done right at the start.  We viewed three times before buying as this time we wanted to be absolutely sure before all this chopping and changing got even more embarrassing! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Definitely wise to walk away I think. Everyone on here is only trying to be helpful and advise against buying a money pit.

Diamonds do seem to command a good price, but they're a fairly spacious and sociable boat for 2-4 and are probably easy to keep warm in the winter. It's a good boat for a couple and with room for guests while still being short enough to be manageable.

Aquafibre mouldings are generally very solid although obviously anything can be wrecked by neglect. I think used prices reflect the fact that they're less trouble than some other brands.

Connoisseurs are also very solidly built, though the interior mouldings can cause issues and the ones which have come back from France can have poor gel coat. You should find an early eighties centre cockpit one from £25 - 30K though, with the later / refurbished ones going for more obviously.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

12 minutes ago, Lulu said:

A bit of advice from a relatively new boat owner. Dont rush into buying. Myself and another NBN  member ( who will remain nameless unless he wants to admit it too!) belong to ' 3 Boats in a Year Club'.   

The first was too small, the second due to a back injury made it no longer suitable, our third, we feel finally is the right one despite a lot of work that needs doing.  We looked at many boats before buyng again, which we should have done right at the start.  We viewed three times before buying as this time we wanted to be absolutely sure before all this chopping and changing got even more embarrassing! 

My name is Ray and I am a boataholic! :12_slight_smile:

Yes I too belong to the three boats in a year club. First too small and hard to manage, second was lovely and spent a fortune on it, third is baby bear's porridge... just right! :default_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well done Ray for coming forward! 

7 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Everyone on here is only trying to be helpful and advise against buying a money pit.

Im sure every boat is a money pit, it just depends on how deep you are prepared for the pit to be :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Definitely wise to walk away I think. Everyone on here is only trying to be helpful and advise against buying a money pit.

Diamonds do seem to command a good price, but they're a fairly spacious and sociable boat for 2-4 and are probably easy to keep warm in the winter. It's a good boat for a couple and with room for guests while still being short enough to be manageable.

Aquafibre mouldings are generally very solid although obviously anything can be wrecked by neglect. I think used prices reflect the fact that they're less trouble than some other brands.

Connoisseurs are also very solidly built, though the interior mouldings can cause issues and the ones which have come back from France can have poor gel coat. You should find an early eighties centre cockpit one from £25 - 30K though, with the later / refurbished ones going for more obviously.

From day 1 the help and advise given has been fantastic and much appreciated. Connoisseurs eh, I`ll going looking.

There's quite a few different styles to choose from, you'll find a gallery on the broads.org.uk database website.

Porter and Haylett was later known as Connoisseur Cruisers and more recently was part of LeBoat.

• Thanks 1

In reply to oldgregg. It was John Linford who sadly died in an airplane crash. He was unable to land in a fog at St Faiths so he requested permission to land at RAF Coltishall which he was near. They said no and I believe he hit a pylon or overhead cable.

This is what my father told me at the time. The Ocean 30 had the same hull as the Broom Skipper. The Broom Skipper hull and  superstructure was designed by R.M.Martins  but the Ocean 30 was I believe designed by John Bennett.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stationerystill said:

This is what my father told me at the time. The Ocean 30 had the same hull as the Broom Skipper. The Broom Skipper hull and  superstructure was designed by R.M.Martins  but the Ocean 30 was I believe designed by John Bennett.

Ah, thank you! This must be why I thought the Broom Skipper was on a Bourne hull.

The Norfolk Broads is a close - knit family!

Diamond 35's do hold their value well and oldregg is right - they just seem about right and their appearance does not seem to date much either.

The cheapest recently went for just under £50k I believe but that was a poor example and they seem to fetch from around £55k upwards, rarely less, I am afraid.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Pumpmedic said:

From day 1 the help and advise given has been fantastic and much appreciated. Connoisseurs eh, I`ll going looking.

The later ones had a very good air draught for a big boat, making them more likely to get under Potter Heigham than most modern boats. If I remember correctly the earlier ones, while not quite as low, still had a decent air draught.

I agree with Lulu! " Dont rush into buying. " On all the occasions I have bought a boat the looking has been the most enjoyable part to some degree. I almost regretted finally settling on one as I wanted to go and look at others. And, before anyone says "go and look at some then", its not quite the same when you are not actually considering buying what you see.

However, am I the only one that is just a tad sad that pumpmedic has passed on this boat?? Although it had some limitations, there is a certain attraction to it. Having said all that, keep looking and the very best of luck in finding your dream boat!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VetChugger said:

I agree with Lulu! " Dont rush into buying. " On all the occasions I have bought a boat the looking has been the most enjoyable part to some degree. I almost regretted finally settling on one as I wanted to go and look at others. And, before anyone says "go and look at some then", its not quite the same when you are not actually considering buying what you see.

However, am I the only one that is just a tad sad that pumpmedic has passed on this boat?? Although it had some limitations, there is a certain attraction to it. Having said all that, keep looking and the very best of luck in finding your dream boat!

In this case my head ruled my heart, that said I never did she her close up and maybe that was for the best eh?

By the way the hull moulding number I mentioned earlier is on the Transom in small numbers. What is a Transom?

44 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

By the way the hull moulding number I mentioned earlier is on the Transom in small numbers. What is a Transom?

Sometimes referred to as the blunt end, t'other being the sharp end. As for those numbers, IF my memory serves me right, I stress IF, are on the aft starboard quarter, just under the rubbing strake! (Right hand top corner of the back end in plain English).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

Opps! I knew that honest :default_blush:

If you're not careful they'll start using phrases like 'lying arthwartships' and things, there are some wierd words in boating but you get used to it in the end.

When you have klingons on the starboard bow you may have problems, or may have just had a glitch with the pumpout....

• Haha 8