Syndicate Enquires

Admiral

Good morning everyone. I was looking at boats to hire for next year and I’ve realised that hiring three to four times a year is getting very expensive. As such I’m beginning to think that the best way to visit the Broads regularly is by joining a syndicate boat. However, I have very little knowledge about this process and would welcome any tips, help or advice on how I should go about it, questions I should be asking and more importantly boats available. After hiring Royal Oak last year I’m liking the look of Thunder that I’ve so far found but I’m sure there’s many others.

At the moment I’m only at the start of gathering information but if I want to visit the Broads more often and I can’t afford my own boat I think a syndicate is the way to go.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 3

Hello Russell,

As you be aware the forum has a wealth of forum members from most if not all of the boat syndicates on the Norfolk Broads.

The syndicates are slightly different in the way they are managed, some are by owners committee's, others are managed by a Management Company.

There are  single week, 2 week allocations,or 4 week dependent on the type of syndicate.

My advice would be check out all the styles of boats, look in detail at the contracts, your commitment with regards to the management fees, winter service fees or sinking fund(if applicable).

If you want any advice by all means contact me.

Regards

Alan

Alan Hood

Chairman & Trustee

Ranworth Breeze Boat Syndicate

• Like 3

My advice would echo Alan's, I would also add go for a boat with more berths than you think you might need.

Think about all the issues you may face as you get older, less mobility etc. and also where you want to go.

There are a few of us on here in the Thunder and Moonlight Shadow syndicates so any questions just ask away.

• Like 3

As a single person cruiser, I find the biggest advantage of being in a syndicate is that your options to hire are not being choked off by the number of boatyards now not hiring to us. I think Silver Cloud is a similar boat to Royall Oak but don't know if they currently have shares available. 

• Like 1

Thunder is a great boat, but not necessarily the easiest if you'll be single-handed - At 43 feet she can often seem to be just that bit too big to fit into the gaps people leave at popular mooring spots. Also, from the interior helm the visibility of the stern is best described as 'quite limited'. The size is also such that really you do want one person at the helm and then at least one person on deck (ideally at least two).

If you're planning on boating more as a party of two or three then she's a different proposition, and doesn't feel cramped with a larger party aboard. With a group of five mates, we've been able to use her comfortably with no-one making beds up each night as she has five separate beds (plus the saloon). There is plenty of space in the saloon and also upstairs, because of the large flat area on the aft cabin roof giving you more room.

Silver Cloud, Goosander or one of the Pearls (Moonlight Shadow / Evening Shadow) may be a good fit if you're mostly likely to be out on your own.

• Like 3

All of the boats quoted by OG are on the BCBM website along with loads of other usefull information.There is also Lightningcruiser.com a self managed boat, they have a share for sale as does Ranworth breeze. Other syndicates are, Southern Crusader, Blue Mist and even Broad Ambition,though you will need to own a Teak forest to persuade griff  to release a share lol. Good luck.

paul

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thunder is a great boat, but not necessarily the easiest if you'll be single-handed - At 43 feet she can often seem to be just that bit too big to fit into the gaps people leave at popular mooring spots. Also, from the interior helm the visibility of the stern is best described as 'quite limited'. The size is also such that really you do want one person at the helm and then at least one person on deck (ideally at least two).
If you're planning on boating more as a party of two or three then she's a different proposition, and doesn't feel cramped with a larger party aboard. With a group of five mates, we've been able to use her comfortably with no-one making beds up each night as she has five separate beds (plus the saloon). There is plenty of space in the saloon and also upstairs, because of the large flat area on the aft cabin roof giving you more room.
Silver Cloud, Goosander or one of the Pearls (Moonlight Shadow / Evening Shadow) may be a good fit if you're mostly likely to be out on your own.

I was looking at silver cloud but no shares available yet, I was thinking Thunder as future proofing myself in case I do end up bringing friends or family along but thank you for the information on Thunder. It’s given me more to think about and yet I have to admit I still like the look of it. It’s a cracking boat and got a soft spot of that type of design.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scaniaman said:

All of the boats quoted by OG are on the BCBM website along with loads of other usefull information.There is also Lightningcruiser.com a self managed boat, they have a share for sale as does Ranworth breeze. Other syndicates are, Southern Crusader, Blue Mist and even Broad Ambition,though you will need to own a Teak forest to persuade griff  to release a share lol. Good luck.

paul

Hi Admiral,

I own a share in Lightning, and like you, decided if we were going to hire several times a year, i was better off buying into a Syndicate. I chose Lightning as at the time, her shares were cheaper than Thunder, though they are comparable now. Unlike Thunder, Moonlight and Evening Shadows, and Silver Cloud, we are self managed. If you`re interested, i can contact our chairman to see if we have a share available, if we have, i can give you his details so you can contact him direct.  

DAVIDH, we had an owner that regularly cruised Lightning as a solo crew, and he never had any problems. 

• Like 2

Hi Admiral,
I own a share in Lightning, and like you, decided if we were going to hire several times a year, i was better off buying into a Syndicate. I chose Lightning as at the time, her shares were cheaper than Thunder, though they are comparable now. Unlike Thunder, Moonlight and Evening Shadows, and Silver Cloud, we are self managed. If you`re interested, i can contact our chairman to see if we have a share available, if we have, i can give you his details so you can contact him direct.  
DAVIDH, we had an owner that regularly cruised Lightning as a solo crew, and he never had any problems. 

Thanks for letting me know. I had a look at the website and once again a beautiful looking boat and I loved how you set things out so clearly in the web page. I’d love to know if any shares are going but also if you message me your thoughts on the yearly costs associated with being in the syndicate. Not really looking for a breakdown as such just would like to know (on average, excluding fuel, pump outs etc) of what you actually pay every year after buying into a syndicate so I have a better idea what I’d be expected to pay every year for the upkeep and maintenance of the boat. As I said it’s all about gathering information just now and the more I have the better informed and prepared I can be

• Like 1

Personally I'd say thunder is too big if the majority of the time you're solo and to be honest all you really gain on thunder is two singles on the side at the back but you don't feel the benefit really of the extra 8ft in comparison to silver cloud.  Unfortunately not enough of this style of boat were ever made to have a luxurious layout for 2 couples or any other kind of layout that may have happened if more were about. 

I should say I am a very happy owner on thunder and absolutely love her but the first boat I ever went on was the same style Greenway marine ran and have always had rose tinted glasses on regarding this design ever since. 

Also you'll definitely save money on a syndicate instead of hiring a couple times a year just make sure you find out what's been done to the boat, what's planned, if there's any funds in the bank already for big plans etc etc. 

• Like 1

Hi Russell, whatever you choose make sure its got a bar fitted, that way your sure to have plenty of err crew to erm help.Hope your still going to do your vlogs
Paul

A bar!! I’ll need a bloody brewery installed
Yes I’d like to keep doing the vlogs if the other members of the syndicate didn’t have an issue with me doing them on the boat. Not so much the fact I was doing the vlogs but maybe more they didn’t want attention drawn to the boat. It’s something I would find out and make clear everyone is ok with before joining one

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Personally I'd say thunder is too big if the majority of the time you're solo and to be honest all you really gain on thunder is two singles on the side at the back but you don't feel the benefit really of the extra 8ft in comparison to silver cloud.  Unfortunately not enough of this style of boat were ever made to have a luxurious layout for 2 couples or any other kind of layout that may have happened if more were about. 

I should say I am a very happy owner on thunder and absolutely love her but the first boat I ever went on was the same style Greenway marine ran and have always had rose tinted glasses on regarding this design ever since. 

Also you'll definitely save money on a syndicate instead of hiring a couple times a year just make sure you find out what's been done to the boat, what's planned, if there's any funds in the bank already for big plans etc etc. 

I’ve got a soft spot for the design myself since hiring Royal Oak last year and the only other boat (Silver cloud) like it has no shares available at the moment hence the Interest in the larger versions of lighting and Thunder. Also seen the Shadows and like them as well but it’s just finding the boat that suits me not just now but long term if I want to bring friends or family with me or spend the majority of the time myself.

People forget about Evening Shadow as well moored at Richardsons Horning. We enjoy her and love the times we are on.

I believe the shares are all sold on evening shadow are they not? Sure I took a look at this one along with moonlight shadow

4 hours ago, Admiral said:

Thanks for letting me know. I had a look at the website and once again a beautiful looking boat and I loved how you set things out so clearly in the web page. I’d love to know if any shares are going but also if you message me your thoughts on the yearly costs associated with being in the syndicate. Not really looking for a breakdown as such just would like to know (on average, excluding fuel, pump outs etc) of what you actually pay every year after buying into a syndicate so I have a better idea what I’d be expected to pay every year for the upkeep and maintenance of the boat. As I said it’s all about gathering information just now and the more I have the better informed and prepared I can be emoji3.png

Hi Admiral (Russell?),

I`ve just heard from our Chairman re the Lightning Syndicate and we DO have a share for sale. I`m just off to bed, but will give you more info tomorrow if that`s ok?. I`l let you know costs etc, and you are always welcome to ask me for any more that you may wish to know about?.

• Like 2

Admiral

Our shares work out costing us just under £400 for each allocated week(plus diesel and pumpouts) and we have (in the last six months) had three extra weeks as well which have only cost us D & P. Yes there is the initial purchase price as well but that is hard to quantify as unless both boats get beamed up by aliens they will always have a value.

Steve

21 hours ago, Admiral said:

I was looking at silver cloud but no shares available yet, I was thinking Thunder as future proofing myself in case I do end up bringing friends or family along but thank you for the information on Thunder. It’s given me more to think about and yet I have to admit I still like the look of it. It’s a cracking boat and got a soft spot of that type of design.

Russ , I,m Chairman of the  Thunder Syndicate,  if you need any further info / questions just  PM me.  We currently  have a  half share (2 weeks) and very shortly a full 4 week share.     

• Thanks 1

Hi Russell, No shares available on Silver Cloud at the moment but one of our owners has intimated they may have to sell during this coming season due to a health problem. No problem doing blogs, we already have an owner who publishes on You Tube,

Couple of points about Silver Cloud. Very easy to handle solo. She should be treated as a pure 4 berth boat. The saloon seating does not convert so if if you had a larger party in mind she may not be suitable, The syndicate has a no pet policy. This is due to us having dedicated quilts and pillows left on the boat. All we have to bring is sheets, duvet covers and pillow cases which keeps the packing down but in my case costs a lot in cattery expenses! If you ( or any one else) wants any information about Silver Cloud feel free to PM.

Fred

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1