Hi Everyone, Im Looking To Purchase

mdblackburn

Hi Everybody,

I am a newbie to this site, but not to boating on the broads, having owned 3 different broads boats, 1st boat 16foot birchwood day boat got me hooked, then we bought a viking 20 "wookie" lovely weekend cruiser, and our last boat which was sold last October a 30 foot bounty which we renamed "sally's dex".

So we are now boat less, and i'm not happy, can't find a replacement for the bounty 30, I am wondering if anyone on this forum may be able to help? I am looking for an aquafibre pearl 38 or aquafibre diamond 35 or something similar, any idea's welcome, I have cash waiting for the right boat.

any suggestions would be most welcome, I am missing having a boat badly, and its only January.

thanks mark.(newbie)

• Like 1

Sadly though you will not get a Diamond cheap. I think the cheapest recently has been around £50k and they tend go up to £75k.

There is a Diamond at NBS but thats probably been for sale at the end of the season for many years - but it will be in reasonable condition although the  hull will need work after being in hire for a long time. They should do that for you - the worst area is around the stern quarters but a surveyor would pick that out and you must use on on an ex hire craft.

I think the Pearl has gone - there are fewer of those around or seem to come up less often.

And no, my Diamond is not for sale  - not this year at least!!!

• Like 1

Hi Mark

Welcome to the Forum. Good boats tend to be snapped up very quickly. For example Swancraft had a beautiful Alpha 35 for sale. I don't think it was even advertised. It was snapped up in a matter of days. I'm not sure if you are local. If possible you could try doing some footwork and asking around the yards and make local enquiries. The end of season is probably the ideal time but I'm sure you'll find something. It can be a case of waiting though. Good luck and do please keep us posted!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Hi Mark

Welcome to the Forum. Good boats tend to be snapped up very quickly. For example Swancraft had a beautiful Alpha 35 for sale. I don't think it was even advertised. It was snapped up in a matter of days. I'm not sure if you are local. If possible you could try doing some footwork and asking around the yards and make local enquiries. The end of season is probably the ideal time but I'm sure you'll find something. It can be a case of waiting though. Good luck and do please keep us posted!

The lovely Alpha 35 at Swancraft was advertised online as that is how we found the boat  - we are the proud new owners of her.  I have say keep ringing round the brokers as you do get to hear about boats that are coming up for sale before they are advertised. 

• Like 3

Hi Everyone,

thank you all for your contributions, very useful, yes i was aware of the boats at nbs both ex hire, and neither in great condition, not for the asking price, i have looked at the alpha 35 the jury is still out, im actually looking for something with 2 double beds in separate cabins, so that we can take the inlaws with us, which means big enough for me to be able to avoid them when i need too. (if the wife reads this only joking dear x )

I am fortunate enough to live local,  so keeping an eye on the market is not an issue, my only problem is i dont want to pay 40 to 50k and then have to spend loads of money on it, basically i want a fantastic boat for very little money!!! cheeky i know, but everyone's dream too, i expect we all want something for nothing.

we have been very slightly tempted by the aquafibre 37 sedan, on NBS reasonably priced i know, one of them has fairly new engine too, are they any good for broads cruising?, I love the rear deck space, as i am fishing mad, but these boats require modernising inside, and the forward v cabin needs to be fiited out with proper double bed, not sure what this would cost, but would also like canopy over the rear, have seen one with this done looked great, and bow thruster fitted, time i spent whatever that would cost would it be my ideal boat? dont know, but dont want to end up dissapointed.

Think i will just have to take advice from you guys and wait patiently.

thanks again

mark.

5 minutes ago, mdblackburn said:

Hi Everyone,

thank you all for your contributions, very useful, yes i was aware of the boats at nbs both ex hire, and neither in great condition, we have been very slightly tempted by the aquafibre 37 sedan, on NBS reasonably priced i know, one of them has fairly new engine too, are they any good for broads cruising?, I love the rear deck space, as i am fishing mad, but these boats require modernising inside, and the forward v cabin needs to be fiited out with proper double bed, not sure what this would cost, but would also like canopy over the rear, have seen one with this done looked great, and bow thruster fitted, time i spent whatever that would cost would it be my ideal boat? dont know, but dont want to end up dissapointed.

Think i will just have to take advice from you guys and wait patiently.

thanks again

mark.

NBS Sedan 37 & £29,950, is that one of them? Recent Nanni engine, Brown strip along bow? I looked at that last week and agree it needs modernising, the V cabin was very wet and if I recall there isn`t the sunroof fitted on that one either, did you look in the engine bay and see all the water in the bottom? Around 3k for a good canopy as well.

Jury is still out on that one as reckon it could be a nice boat with TLC & £`s.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mdblackburn said:

hi yes thats the one how much tlc? and how many £s will it be worth it? what do you reckon?

Sorry but I`m not able to advise on what it is worth as I`m still learning myself but for me it would be new flooring throughout, both heads need new walls etc, rework the V cabin, find and cure that leak, new mattresses all round, and rework the seating in the saloon plus I did notice parts of the veneer lifting away in places and the inverter is only really for the TV. Understand the owner is open to offers if that helps.

1 minute ago, Pumpmedic said:

Sorry but I`m not able to advise on what it is worth as I`m still learning myself but for me it would be new flooring throughout, both heads need new walls etc, rework the V cabin, find and cure that leak, new mattresses all round, and rework the seating in the saloon plus I did notice parts of the veneer lifting away in places and the inverter is only really for the TV. Understand the owner is open to offers if that helps. 

be interesting what sort of offer, they came from scotland and are ex hire, i may consider putting silly offer in, does anyone one know how much a bow thruster would cost fitted?

1 hour ago, Pumpmedic said:

it would be new flooring throughout, both heads need new walls etc, rework the V cabin, find and cure that leak, new mattresses all round, and rework the seating in the saloon plus I did notice parts of the veneer lifting away in places and the inverter is only really for the TV.

I'm no expert, however I suspect the costs would start to stack up particularly if you have the work done by a yard. If you are able to do it yourself it would be much less. Problem with leaks is that there can be more damage than is immediately visible. Always worth getting a boat checked professionally if you are in any doubt. As I mentioned earlier good boats tend to be sold almost before they hit the shelves so to speak. I think it is worth taking time and waiting for the right boat to come along. It will be out there, just make sure you are on the spot when it comes up! Fingers crossed for you and please continue to keep us posted. Good luck! :default_beerchug:

• Like 3

Id agree and also say be very careful with anything thats showing evidence of leaks.  

Windows/Hatches/Cleats/Deck Fittings etc that are poorly sealed and have been left to let water through really can do a lot of damage which may not always be immediately obvious.  Things can be resealed (some things easier than others) but spending your time chasing rainwater leaks on your boat will very quickly get annoying, theres also nothing worse than wet bedding.  There is definately something going on in the fwd cabin on the NBS sedan (from the pictures) If interested I would proceed with caution. 

The water under the floors may be less of an issue, (so long as its not at the floor bearers!)  It could be where the topside leaks are gathering or it could be engine/domestics/stern gear related.  I would be more concerned by anything leaking in from above.  As far as your onboard experience goes that might be your the biggest PITA! 

You will quickly find that boats are not trouble free and definately in the 30k area theres bound to be things that might end up need doing.  If its direct from a hire fleet you could be in for a bit of a unpleasant surprise.   (I speak from experience!) 

But some of us call that fun! 

• Like 3

It`s always worth remembering that if a hire boat is being sold off, it`s more likely to be because it will need a great deal of money spent on replacements, repairs, and upgrades, and it`s not worth them paying out for a list of expensive parts and staff wages to keep her up to speck, as they may not be able to recoup a large investment out of what little profit they may make on her through several seasons. 

In short, make sure you`re not going to buy a money pit that`s going to cost you dear, only to sell her on at a loss later, meaning all you`ve done in reality is financed the restoration of a boat for someone elses benefit when you do come to sell it.

SpeedTriple, I understand what you are saying but don't completely agree. There can be a multitude of reasons for a hirefleet selling off some of it's older craft, and I would suspect that perhaps the lack of new fandangos could well be one. Todays hirer seems to demand modern lines, and modern facilities believing old boats are old hat.

I would consider an ex-hire craft from a yard updating their fleet could well be the best way to go. 

Your warning not to buy a money pit is sound enough but I see no likely difference between a neglected private boat or a tired ex-hire craft for that potential elephant trap.

Having said that, as the OP has stated he is far from new to boat ownership, he will already know that "Boat" is synonymous with "Money pit".   

• Like 5