Hi Everyone, Im Looking To Purchase

mdblackburn

The AF37 Sedan doesn't really need a thruster, it's a great hull that handles very well. Would be awesome with a thruster though, obviously.

What is not so good about the sedan is the visibility from the helm position. You sit too far from the screens which are too shallow, and the moulding for the back end of the lower cabins makes it worse as they intrude too much into the space.

I think the real problem is that the hull wasn't designed for the sedan so they've had to make sure the superstructure wasn't too tall to make it unusable on the Broads.

When manouvering, you find that you have to poke your head out of the side windows or through the roof hatch, neither of which are particularly well positioned.

Having hired one of these, and used the smaller Bounty 34 Sedan (the Traveller, to give its proper name) several times I would say that the smaller boat is infinitely better.

I think that's borne out by the fact that when Ricko's had Princess (AF37 Sedan) they didn't let all that well and both have been sold, whereas the Melody (Bounty Traveller) are one of their most popular boats and are forever out on hire. And I think Princess was actually slightly cheaper as well.

The boats from West Highland Sailing have had a hard life. Remember that they were on the Caledonian Canal since the 90's, and most of them will have been on the rocks at some point. You only have to look at the Loch Ness lifeboat's YouTube channel to see how many of the WHS boats were run aground, mainly because they never had enough power to get you out of trouble.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with everything Oldgregg says about these boats, as I have operated some of them in France. They are quite comfortable inside and the patio doors to the aft well make a very nice space.

They have a bad tendency to leak through the windows and they were not built with anywhere near enough fixed ventilation. We had to modify this all through the boat. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

SpeedTriple, I understand what you are saying but don't completely agree. There can be a multitude of reasons for a hirefleet selling off some of it's older craft, and I would suspect that perhaps the lack of new fandangos could well be one. Todays hirer seems to demand modern lines, and modern facilities believing old boats are old hat.

I would consider an ex-hire craft from a yard updating their fleet could well be the best way to go. 

Your warning not to buy a money pit is sound enough but I see no likely difference between a neglected private boat or a tired ex-hire craft for that potential elephant trap.

Having said that, as the OP has stated he is far from new to boat ownership, he will already know that "Boat" is synonymous with "Money pit".   

Hi John,

If you read my post again a little further down, i do mention about doing upgrades etc, and about what little profit they get, because basically as you rightly say, they are less up to date, so very likely to be considerably cheaper. Replacement engines, gearboxes, central heating units etc etc etc are all very expensive, so if a fleet has to spend thousands, then they have to weigh up whether it`s advisable to commit to a lot of possibly non profit making investment for little if any return. 

Another point you make re the same could be said for private boats, yes i completely agree, but did`nt think to make that point.

John, i`ve agreed with something you said, is that a worrying thought? lol. 

• Haha 1

And providing you get the price right if it needs replacing it's much better to fit your new choice rather than someone else's inferior cheaper choice that you than throw away a new but not wanted item,ie a new engine is your choice          of make and power rather than a boat yards cheaper smaller one. John

21 minutes ago, annv said:

And providing you get the price right if it needs replacing it's much better to fit your new choice rather than someone else's inferior cheaper choice that you than throw away a new but not wanted item,ie a new engine is your choice          of make and power rather than a boat yards cheaper smaller one. John

On that note anybody have a ballpark figure for a yard to gut and replace everything in two heads in an Alpha 35? New wall panels, showers, taps, the complete job.

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 00:24, dnks34 said:

Id agree and also say be very careful with anything thats showing evidence of leaks.  

Windows/Hatches/Cleats/Deck Fittings etc that are poorly sealed and have been left to let water through really can do a lot of damage which may not always be immediately obvious.  Things can be resealed (some things easier than others) but spending your time chasing rainwater leaks on your boat will very quickly get annoying, theres also nothing worse than wet bedding.  There is definately something going on in the fwd cabin on the NBS sedan (from the pictures) If interested I would proceed with caution. 

I have quoted you dnks34 not because I disagree with anything you say but just to put another perspective on the "leak" front.

I would guess, based on nothing than my conversations with people, that 75% of broads boats leak, even if the owners don't know it yet, and in the 30k and below range I would guess that at sometime all have leaked and most still do. If you buy a boat that shows no signs of leaking it doesn't mean it isn't leaking. But a boat with signs of leaking doesn't mean it's wrecked, I mean how are the owners expected to know (and deal with) a leak unless they see the signs.

As dnks34 says, proceed with caution, but don't get too hung up on the leak situation, because sooner or later you'll be chasing one.!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Hi Everybody,
I am a newbie to this site, but not to boating on the broads, having owned 3 different broads boats, 1st boat 16foot birchwood day boat got me hooked, then we bought a viking 20 "wookie" lovely weekend cruiser, and our last boat which was sold last October a 30 foot bounty which we renamed "sally's dex".
So we are now boat less, and i'm not happy, can't find a replacement for the bounty 30, I am wondering if anyone on this forum may be able to help? I am looking for an aquafibre pearl 38 or aquafibre diamond 35 or something similar, any idea's welcome, I have cash waiting for the right boat.
any suggestions would be most welcome, I am missing having a boat badly, and its only January.
thanks mark.(newbie)

Hi Mark
Just a question, is the Bounty you sold the boat just gone on sale at Waterside? May I ask why you sold it please it’s just that I am currently looking for a Bounty 30 or maybe a 37, I have currently got a mk2 Hampton
Thanks Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Hi Stephen,

:default_welcome:

Can`t see two Bounty boats on the broads being named "Sally`s Dex" so if it was sold last year then proceed with caution. 

After months of searching I brought a Bounty 37 last week but I got lucky because it had only been placed with the broker for 2hrs when I walked in their office. 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2019 at 09:44, Minifer said:

The lovely Alpha 35 at Swancraft was advertised online as that is how we found the boat  - we are the proud new owners of her.  I have say keep ringing round the brokers as you do get to hear about boats that are coming up for sale before they are advertised. 

If it is the one I think it is then you have one fine boat Minifer.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2019 at 11:45, Pumpmedic said:

If it is the one I think it is then you have one fine boat Minifer.

Yes pretty sure it is the same one, not sure Paul has sold another Alpha 35 recently.  She is indeed one fine boat, way beyond our expectations.  We were considering a Bounty as well, but having had a Bermuda 34 for a few years I really like the raised helm on the Alpha.