Closed Season - Have Your Say

well I would go and complete this, but as i dont fish (apart from complements) I have no ideas what should and shouldnt be, so I would be as like to say closed season from 1st january until 9pm on the 31st december as any other with absolutely no basis for my opinion, so as such I will avoid participating (did I tell you I am allergic to fish too ).

I did go fishing - once. when I was small, a friend took me - we went down the local river, sat on the bank- on a wasps nest and I was ill for 3 days with about 30 stings, so as well as being allergic to eating fish, I have a strong allergy to fishing - I could sit and watch someone else doing it all day - especially if it was them that sat on a wasps nest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, grendel said:

I could sit and watch someone else doing it all day - especially if it was them that sat on a wasps nest.

If there's a spare seat I could sit and watch that with you, maybe give a running commentary (or just insert the bleeps), sounds like good entertainment.

For heaven's sake! How much longer is this farce going to go on for?

These faceless shiny pants wasters of our hard earned tax payers money are still chewing the fat over the subject of the closed season. This subject should have been resolved years ago. I smell "jobs for the boys" and who is paying for it? Yep you my friends.  

Sack the lot of them, abolish the closed season and lets get on without all this bull***t and save the country a load of money paying wages to a load of tax wasters. After all, the longer it goes on the more drain on our taxes to basically are a bunch of non productive people who have never contributed anything to our country except endless bull**it. 

Sorry, but that is how I feel about the waste of money in our government  and the way everything is strung out just to keep overpaid shiny pants wasters in the sort of job of which they would be incapable of doing in the real world.

Moderate this or what? I really don't care. :default_2gunsfiring_v1: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Needless to say, Breydon, but I disagree! By and large there would be no need for an army of pen-pushers if anglers were to police themselves. For those who want to fish fifty two weeks of the year then what's to stop them? Plenty of pits, puddles, lakes and canals, plus the open sea, all there for those who want it. For those who want and respect the close season then we have our rivers thus there is a close season for those who want it and for those who don't, well there are plenty of opportunities for them too. Hands off our rivers!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Breydon said:

For heaven's sake! How much longer is this farce going to go on for?

These faceless shiny pants wasters of our hard earned tax payers money are still chewing the fat over the subject of the closed season. This subject should have been resolved years ago. I smell "jobs for the boys" and who is paying for it? Yep you my friends.  

Sack the lot of them, abolish the closed season and lets get on without all this bull***t and save the country a load of money paying wages to a load of tax wasters. After all, the longer it goes on the more drain on our taxes to basically are a bunch of non productive people who have never contributed anything to our country except endless bull**it. 

Sorry, but that is how I feel about the waste of money in our government  and the way everything is strung out just to keep overpaid shiny pants wasters in the sort of job of which they would be incapable of doing in the real world.

Moderate this or what? I really don't care. :default_2gunsfiring_v1: 

I tend to find the more someone needs to rant, or use profanity to make a point, the weaker their argument is. Sadly, informed or unbiased fact on the closed season is very hard to find. Studies by pro angling groups suggest abolishing the closed season would have no impact on fish health and stocks. Those by anti angling groups suggest exactly the opposite. As with most things in life you could give the same "expert" the same "facts" and get any number of different outcomes depending on where the funding is coming from. 

Got to say I agree with Peter, there are plenty of opportunities to fish away from the rivers for the three months of the closed season. There is no good reason that I can see for any change.

• Like 10

I've not been a 'regular' angler for many years. When I was the closed season was an issue even then - ove 50 years ago.

True, evidence on impacts on fish stocks iswas and even now is, hard to come by.  What is beyond dispute is that the bankside vegitation is during the 'closed sesaon' undergoing its greatest growth period. Along with  this birds, mammals and certain invertibrates are in their breeding season.

For these reasons alone I feel that there should be no change in the current arrangements.

• Like 7

Please correct me if I'm wrong here but...

When I used to go fly fishing, the season started on April 1st though some reservoirs started theirs on March 15th. The closed season for trout started on the 1st October. I think those dates are more or less right.

I don't know but always assumed that trout fishing in streams had the same season. Is that correct?

If it is, there seems to be a bit of a knowledge gap from those who wrote the questionnaire who seem to think that the trout season is the same as the course season, and if that's the case then I'm not sure that this exercise is worth the time and energy being put into it!

• Like 1

I can’t give any facts or quote any research or studies, other than what is already available for viewing. What I do know is that I absolutely love the close season as, for 3 months, the banks etc are available for mooring. It’s been said many, many times I know, some agree and some disagree but of course that will have no bearing on this particular consultation. Just had to have my say!

• Like 2

Done.  

Abolish the close season totally, it has nothing to do with spawning, fish will spawn according to weather conditions. If you have a very mild winter, spawning will occur as early as the begining of February, and as late as August, i know, i`ve witnessed it myself. Also, if there was NO closed season on rivers, then non club members (like me) will be able to fish on free rivers, and not get ripped off by thieving clubs through excessively high day ticket prices.

• Like 1

Basically, what I am saying although I am in favour of abolishing the close season is the shiny pants useless in other industries wasters get their finger out and stop making a jobs for the boys and damned well make a decision!

Apparently there will be another consultation in the Autumn. Thats after numerous meetings with a load of free food, drinkies and whatever, all paid for by us.

Talk about stringing the job out!

If the Environment Agency or the Broads Authority were a proper industry it would be  bankrupt.

Its all jobs for the boys! And you lot are paying for it through the nose!

• Like 3

Basically, what I am saying although I am in favour of abolishing the close season is the shiny pants useless in other industries wasters get their finger out and stop making a jobs for the boys and damned well make a decision!
Apparently there will be another consultation in the Autumn. Thats after numerous meetings with a load of free food, drinkies and whatever, all paid for by us.
Talk about stringing the job out!
If the Environment Agency or the Broads Authority were a proper industry it would be  bankrupt.
Its all jobs for the boys! And you lot are paying for it through the nose!

Does this mean BA moorings will be closed to boaters all year round now?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1