Mansion Guardshine

VetChugger

In years gone by I fondly recall the smell of wax polish especially at my Grans. I was looking for some wax polish today and all I could find is proudly deemed to be odourless! I don't want odourless! Neither do I really feel persuaded by the aerosol varieties. I want to smell that old furniture polish again! Anyone know of any that isn't just souless wax please?

• Like 1

Hello Trevor,

There are several types of wax made by Colron, Wheelers, Briwax . There are even waxes that are slightly coloured that can help with covering up scratches I even have a tin of Aristowax that was made in Norwich called Wood Silk Lavender Polish.

You need to search for these online or visit a good hardware shop, as already suggested the one at Loddon is worth a visit, one of the few places I know that stocks walking stick feet, these are ideal for use on our boarding ladders to protect the hull.

Regards

Alan

39 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Most good antiques centres sell traditional beeswax polish.

True but they are normally un-perfumed. VC is looking for "Bouquet" not just a "Fine Finish"  a bit like a good Burgundy.

6 minutes ago, grendel said:

well they should smell of beeswax, I am just trying to remember what olfactory delight Mansion Polish delivered, was it one of the lavender ones? or more beeswax smelling - actually I think it just smelled of floor polish.

Probably contained some Hydrocarbon solvent to aid drying that is now banned, that would aid the smell.

• Like 1

If you type "wax polish" into Amazon search you will see a myriad range of polishes, some scented, some not, at a huge range of prices too. You pays your money and takes your choice. I always like the faint smell of lavender in a room where the furniture has been polished and that is a remark that should be taken at face value.

Thanks very much one and all! I'm well impressed with the response and that some also likewise recall this olde worlde aroma. Sadly, in my neck of the woods, all the genuine hardware stores have long gone. We had some really good ones in both Wakefield and Leeds. Whilst I had "Glenmore" and, initially, "Crackers" I was regularly at the stores in Acle, Brundall, Loddon, Beccles and others I have forgotten. Must admit I never failed to get what I needed at the Acle store and, if they didn't have it, the man in the brown coat always said we'll have it a week on thursday!

Thanks again you've given me ideas to work with! The aroma shall return!

• Like 1