Broads History and Old Photos websites

AdnamsGirl

• 1 month later...

Hi Carol

There is this site http://www.remembernorfolk.org/ which has got collections of archive photos on it. It took over from ARCH which was a Council funded project until the money ran out. It's something we avoided getting involved with at the Ludham Archive and we decided to do our own website.

Commanet is no more so websites with that name will no longer work. I think Comma went bust.

Nigel

Ludham

• 10 months later...

Found this newly posted video - thought it was really interesting and the original 8mm film really well shot. I remember growing up in the 70s, things certainly seemed alot more carefree in those days. Alot of the footage reminded me of my own childhood and I suppose little things that you remember to some degree make you feel sad that you can't turn the clock back, even for one day....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Having just watched that Utube clip it reminds me of

just how busy it was in the 60s/70s! Yarmouth was at

times rafting up 3 deep which was interesting if you

wanted to get away before the boat on your outside

did'nt!! I remember the toilets emptying direct into

the rivers too. My uncle once commented looking over

the side at Yarmouth "Ok Brown, you're through"... It

had to be explained to me what he meant! It also

reminded me of how many casual moorings there were

which have long since gone. Seeing the boat going

through Potter bridge brought back memories of taking

6 berth cruises myself with ease.

Carol, just watched your Broadland Memories 1930's

DVD. Loved it! And No, I was'nt about then before someone

comments!

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately, remembernorfolk.org which I mentioned above is no longer working. It did have a number of photograph collections from various archive groups but the funding ran out. It had been kept running (but without updates) for some time now, and now it is gone.

Let's hope that some of the archive groups create their own websites.

Fortunately, the Ludham Archive stayed out of it. We are still up and running. www.ludhamarchive.org.uk

Nigel

• 1 year later...

Here are a couple of extra links:

The Catfield village site. It has a small history section. The Catfield Archive Group is also starting up and there are details on the site.  http://www.catfield.org.uk/index.htm

Flegg Island. The Flegg area was once an island, hence the name. This site is really for those tracing their family trees in the Flegg area. The site went down after the owner died but it has been recreated and is now managed by the Ludham Archive Group http://www.fleggisland.co.uk/

Lots more has been added to the Ludham Archive Website if you are interested in this area. http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/

Nigel

Ludham

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Came across a 1961 Blakes catalogue,  I had kept from back then because of this picture taken at the Pleasure Boat at Hickling, my family were on Calm Waters from Fowlers of Oulton Broad, and friends on the 'Windboat' in the forground, so assume taken in 1960.  It now seems amazing that most boats could get through the bridge  back then but not now, Obviously the boats are bigger, and many of them are not 'Bridge shaped'  and not even ;Boat shaped' as a Potter Heigham bridge pilot once told me!  Recently we hired an Electric day boat from Phoenix to explore the upper Thurne, which was much more peaceful than the usual noisy Diesel offerings.

P1020089.JPG

• Like 4