Hello

Rich

11 hours ago, vanessan said:

:default_welcome: from me too. Are you a boat owner or hirer?

Thanks. I'm a boat owner, but nothing posh.  Just a little Shetland.  Someone kindly stole my outboard over the winter, so I need to get the new one fitted before I next venture out....

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Hi Rich and welcome

That's proper infuriating, hope your insurance is providing you with a new one, even then your loss of NCB  will sting a bit

See you afloat

Griff

Thanks.  It wasn't a particularly expensive outboard, so I've not claimed.  Just bought another second hand one from eBay.  I've registered this one and it's got warning stickers on it, which should make it less likely to be stolen.

• Like 2

If you have to leave your outboard attached, could be worth getting one of those police covers you leave on instead of the hard cover. Makes them less attractive to nick, knowing the scum have to sell them on without the original cover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/01/2019 at 09:17, MauriceMynah said:

Welcome from me too Rich, Where is your boat moored, with a bit of luck there will be a member close by who can keep an eye open on your boat.

Thanks.  I actually keep my boat on a trailer and just launch and recover for days out.  The engine was stolen during a fishing trip in the Lake District over the winter.  I've registered the new one with secureoutboardssolutions.com and it's got warning stickers all over it, so hopefully it should deter people in a similar way to the Police hood covers other members have suggested.

23 minutes ago, marshman said:

They certainly act as a discouragement! I believe that the Police have yet to have an outboard reported stolen with one of those attached, although it would not be a deterrent if they really wanted your outboard!!

Thanks for the advice.  The worse part was the damage they did removing it.  It had a lock and a chain, so they smashed the lock and broke off the cleat which the chain attached to.  This caused a lot of damage to the transom, and several days in my garage getting covered in fibreglass to patch it up!

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, Regulo said:

If you have to leave your outboard attached, could be worth getting one of those police covers you leave on instead of the hard cover. Makes them less attractive to nick, knowing the scum have to sell them on without the original cover.

Thanks for the advice.  I've registered the new engine and you get WARNING stickers which act in a similar way I guess?

Not having a hood on an outboard would make it more difficult to sell certainly - do not the stickers come off with adhesive removal??

Certainly on the Broads those Police hoods seem to be a deterrent - who wants to go through the pfaff of getting a new hood, or not if its fairly old, before selling stolen property on?

39 minutes ago, marshman said:

Not having a hood on an outboard would make it more difficult to sell certainly - do not the stickers come off with adhesive removal??

Certainly on the Broads those Police hoods seem to be a deterrent - who wants to go through the pfaff of getting a new hood, or not if its fairly old, before selling stolen property on?

They advertise them as tamper-proof, so difficult (but not impossible) to remove.  Knowing my luck I'd remove the hood and then lose it! lol  Like other members have said, anything to make it less attractive than the one next door!

34 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I would also go for the security hood. The more trouble the would be thief would have, the less desirable your motor becomes.

In addition I'd have a sticker saying "The outboard on that boat over there is much nicer than this one!"

Loving the sticker idea, don't think I'd be popular though!