Waterproofing A Canopy

kezolah

I have heard of folk using thompsons water seal to good effect but not tried it myself (yet), for algae prevention patio magic works a treat and is much cheaper than wet'n'forget but has the same active ingredients, isn't it amazing how the cost drops when they don't put a picture of a boat on the tin.....

I've used fabsil on the seams of a vinyl canopy and it never quite stopped leaking, not tried it on canvas.

• Like 1

We also use Fabsil. We clean the canvas first and inspect for any repairs, and then apply the Fabsil whilst the canvas is still damp. Use waxed chord/cotton to avoid leaks.

If you have any pick-nick tables in your marina these come in handy for applying the proofing to the zipped out sections. Try and pick a dry day if you can to allow the canopy to dry out after applying. Treat any leeks in seams/zips with canvas wax (the sticks come in a couple of shades).

We need to do ours ideally before the season start but it is all down to the weather.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

1374603334_Screenshot_20190130-093141_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.d053c840015349f20e94ddc1593662a1.jpg

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

I have heard of folk using thompsons water seal to good effect but not tried it myself (yet), for algae prevention patio magic works a treat and is much cheaper than wet'n'forget but has the same active ingredients, isn't it amazing how the cost drops when they don't put a picture of a boat on the tin.....

I've used fabsil on the seams of a vinyl canopy and it never quite stopped leaking, not tried it on canvas.

Just remember Patio Magic is a very strong "Biocide" (kills Bio) and is a Marine Polutant. Note the aquatic warning.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Just remember Patio Magic is a very strong "Biocide" (kills Bio) and is a Marine Polutant. Note the aquatic warning.

Absolutely, don't even think of spraying it on! I use a 1:4 mix with water and brush on doing as much over land as possible.

4 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

We also use Fabsil. We clean the canvas first and inspect for any repairs, and then apply the Fabsil whilst the canvas is still damp. Use waxed chord/cotton to avoid leaks.

If you have any pick-nick tables in your marina these come in handy for applying the proofing to the zipped out sections. Try and pick a dry day if you can to allow the canopy to dry out after applying. Treat any leeks in seams/zips with canvas wax (the sticks come in a couple of shades).

We need to do ours ideally before the season start but it is all down to the weather.

Regards

Alan

Where do you get the wax sticks Alan and do they come in black? We thoroughly cleaned and reproofed the canopy on Hot Gossip  last year but didn't manage to totally eradicate the resulting slight weeps on some parts of the seams.

regards,

Carole

3 hours ago, addicted said:

Where do you get the wax sticks Alan and do they come in black? We thoroughly cleaned and reproofed the canopy on Hot Gossip  last year but didn't manage to totally eradicate the resulting slight weeps on some parts of the seams.

regards,

Carole

Hi Carole,

I usually get ours from Brian Ward's but I am not sure if they do any in black.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1