• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Ray

My Tip For Cleaning Spilt Sump Oil.

Now, this could in fact be everyone's tip but having worked it out for myself and being in the very rare position of having a tip to share instead of asking for one, here it is.

My boat has what seems to be a drip tray as part of the GRP moulding under the engine. Possibly they all have, but I saw that it was about full of old black oil sloshing around and needed dealing with, having first ascertained that I don't have an oil leak.

An old pillow case with half a dozen handfuls of cat litter in it was tied at the opening and laid flat in the tray.. 24 hours later it was lifted out with no drips in the cabin and the tray empty enough for a good wipe down with paper towels to finish the job.

You're welcome :default_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Ray said:

My boat has what seems to be a drip tray as part of the GRP moulding under the engine.

This is to stop the oil getting into the bilge and getting pumped overboard into the river.

We had to fit these trays in the mid 80's onto the narrowboats and install pads in them.

£10 from Screwfix gets you a spill kit with pads you can use to drop in the tray to monitor and catch any leaks.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lubetech-15ltr-oil-spill-kit/99764

With my Enviromental ISO head on you'd get another tick for using the snake round the fuel pipe on deck whilst refueling.  (as if)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Siddy said:

We had to fit these trays in the mid 80's onto the narrowboats and install pads in them.

£10 from Screwfix gets you a spill kit with pads you can use to drop in the tray to monitor and catch any leaks.

Excellent idea, just been on their website better than using old towels and making a filthy mess of everything, The oil I get in the drip tray isn't from leaks its every time the engines serviced and the filter is changed so will be leaving pads in the drip tray from now on, our last boat we had a minor flood which caused oil in the drip tray to get into the bilge what a mess don't want to go through that again.

• Like 2

Our Bounty gets mainly water in the tray under the engine,from the hatch area,we use a pick up tool  and a nappy to soak it up ,job done.:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

We've found puppy training pads very useful for minor leaks and condensation drips. Cheap as chips.

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 1

a couple of disposable nappies under the engine are very good at absorbing the odd drips of oil and water that build up.

• Like 2