Places To Moor

Andydhewitt

Salhouse Broad, Ranworth, Ludham Bridge, Fleet Dyke, Acle Bridge....to name a few..there is a wide choice and in September you shouldn't have much trouble compared with say, August. There's a publication on the Broads Authority website called, The Broadcaster and that has a basic map for you and cruising times suggested, between locations.

• Thanks 1

Hello Andy,

Welcome to the forum, all the above suggestions are good it is up to you to decide if you want to moor outside a pub or just at the side of the river or on a broad, there are riverside 24 hour moorings outside Wroxham Broad, you can moor at Salhouse Broad but on the river and in the broad you will be charged for mooring. Mooring at Horning can be an issue even in September so as suggested booking a mooring at the New Inn is a good option.

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum Andydhewitt!

A lot depends on whether you are an experienced boater or completely new. And also what time you get away from the boatyard. I remember our first year on the northern rivers hiring out of Wroxham, the 45 minutes to Salhouse Broad was far enough. Likely to be plenty of moorings in the Broad or on the spit on the main river. For me that was a good length of time to get a bit used to the boat handling, get my first mooring done without fighting for a space, and then get settled and unpacked. Bear in mind, you do have to pay to moor there but the money goes towards the upkeep of the Broad and nature reserve as I understand it.

Now that we're more experienced we would usually go that bit further. Ranworth is two hours from Wroxham. The staithe may be full but there's usually room on the Island, although again, you have to pay for that mooring. But I like somewhere less crowded for my first go with a new boat!

• Thanks 1

Hmmm ... well ... it takes me 45 minutes ... perhaps that includes a few minutes for deciding exactly where to moor and coming towards the bank extra slow with extreme precision ... or going round twice for my first mooring!! :default_rofl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Seriously though,  (me serious?...well, yes I can be now and again). For me the joy of starting off from Wroxham, which we’ve done a couple of times from the NBD/Faircraft Loynes Yard...can never remember what name they go by,  is an early start through the bridge and up to Coltishall. Lovely and quiet above the bridge!  That would be our ideal start to our holiday. We managed to get up to Coltishall Locks at the start of our March-April 2018 holiday. Not always possible though as it depends how high the river is. Check out our account in the holiday tales section of the forum. We were on Fair Regent, which is what I put in the title of the blog.

If the river levels allow, just above the bridge is also a lovely final evening’s mooring.

• Like 3

That's a great idea Helen. We've not managed it yet. The last time we hired from Barnes Brinkcraft they were too worried about the possibility of heavy rain to take us through. They thought we might have got stuck the other side ... I guess we could have spent four days cruising up and down between Wroxham and Coltishall ... plenty of pub stops and no-one else getting through the Bridge!!

7 hours ago, SwanR said:

That's a great idea Helen. We've not managed it yet. The last time we hired from Barnes Brinkcraft they were too worried about the possibility of heavy rain to take us through. They thought we might have got stuck the other side ... I guess we could have spent four days cruising up and down between Wroxham and Coltishall ... plenty of pub stops and no-one else getting through the Bridge!!

I get the impression that Barnes are ultra-cautious about taking boats under Wroxham bridge at certain times. We were upstream of the bridge last October when we had some heavy rain. Barnes were apparently refusing to take any of their boats under while the pilot was happily shunting boats back and forth. The gauge was showing 6’5” and I saw Broadlander and Broadway come through with room to spare. It did make me wonder if that gauge is correct but I know that’s been discussed many times. Incidentally the downstream gauge was showing 6’7” when we passed it a few minutes later so there is definitely a discrepancy!

• Like 1

It’s been measured and graphed using pixilated shots it’s apparently ( gulp) 5 cm

Im not that certain myself but have done 6’6” with 4 of 5 cm to spare and we are 6’6”. Was a leap of faith lol . Don’t miss the middle 

Well, we wouldn’t dare going under Wroxham Bridge after a lot of rain or even with rain forecast, especially after our Dilham/Wroxham bridge experience last April, when there was a lot of rain overnight and we had engine problems in the morning.  We were lucky on that occasion, as it takes some time for the rivers to rise following rain. It was stressful though! However, Coltishall and Dilham are still our go-to places if the bridge clearances look ok and there hasn’t been much recent rain. 

Even better, on a Hunter’s boat (and a deceasing number of motor boats) is getting through Potter Heigham Bridge. Bliss! The bliss bit being how quiet it is, even in high summer. Worth getting a day boat to explore if your boat can’t make it through.

😀

• Like 2