A Real Treat - Sherz And Linz 2018 Boat Trip

DAVIDH

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Very good video but and a big but I do not agree with smoking on board.   Very unpleasant for other users.

Which is why some boats have a no smoking policy , Katie doesn’t smoke onboard Cerise Lady but I do vape aboard as does Katie however as soon as we are moored she is straight away ashore and sparking up 

4 hours ago, Hylander said:

Very good video but and a big but I do not agree with smoking on board.   Very unpleasant for other users.

I believe hire boats are classed as public places just like busses, trains, pubs and taxi's etc, therefore smoking on board is no longer legal.

Excellent film though, I have just binge watched their previous two as well while waiting for undercoat to dry

• Like 1

Love Sherz and Linz. I always look out for their videos too. They are such a lovely couple, very down to earth and I love they adopted a rescue dog. Always find their YouTube videos amusing and well edited.

I must admit that Graham and me are a more than a bit anti-smoking though, having lost my Grandfather and Mother-in-law to lung cancer, and also Graham’s Grandad.

• Sad 1

I also lost my dear Dad through lung cancer.   They say (whoever they are) that second hand smoke is even worse.    The thought that someone had been smoking in bed is beyond bad.    Smoke permeates the upholstery and just makes the whole place stink and go a yellow colour. uggh!!    I can remember as a child my parents each smoked 40 cigarettes a day.       I have never smoked after witnessing all that.

My mother smoked, my father never did. I had a 60 Marlboro a day habit which I stopped in the mid 90s but I have never objected to others smoking around me. The people with whom I'm staying, she smokes about 10 a day (She's 90) and her son smokes a pack of Amber leaf every 3 or 4 days.

I feel it should be the choice of the hire yard as to whether smoking is allowed on their boats as long as they clearly state whether it is or not.

• Like 1

I only spotted this a couple of weeks ago but I think @johnsherz had to re-upload because there had been some problems with the original music he'd used.

Others have said it and I'm with them - Sherz and Linz are my favourite of all the Broads Youtubers and yes I think the length of the videos, the editing and general format is spot on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

My mother smoked, my father never did. I had a 60 Marlboro a day habit which I stopped in the mid 90s but I have never objected to others smoking around me. The people with whom I'm staying, she smokes about 10 a day (She's 90) and her son smokes a pack of Amber leaf every 3 or 4 days.

I feel it should be the choice of the hire yard as to whether smoking is allowed on their boats as long as they clearly state whether it is or not.

Like others I thought it was the Law  of the Land now that smoking was banned from public places.

It may well be the case Hylander but if so, in my opinion, either the definition of "public place" or the "law of the land"  is wrong.

I see no valid reason why the inside of a hire craft is more public than the outside (where smoking is legal).

Either the government should outlaw smoking altogether or make sensible decisions as to their definitions as to where and when it can take place. 

Personally I see the smoking laws as they stand as a massive crushing of the freedoms of people. I further believe that if not countered, there is little to stop governments of any party making other restrictions that a free society would be less than happy. Using Diesel engines for leisure activities springs to mind! 

• Like 2

Don't know about England but in French hotels you can specify a smoking or no smoking bedroom, although the law about "public places" is just the same.
At the end of the day I don't hire any more and will only hire from non smoking Establishments.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I smoke,  I know I shouldn't but I do.

I am happy with the ban and can't believe we all used to smoke inside pubs and restaurants.

I only smoke in my kitchen near a huge extractor hood,  if the grandchildren are about I sneak outside.

On my own boats I only smoke outside,  it just seems to be the right thing to do.

• Like 3

I watched the film the other day and noticed Linz smoking, as far as I know if anyone else is going to use the boat it is a public place and therefore illegal to smoke in it. When I was working as an HGV driver we had our own lorries but agency drivers worked on night runs and used what ever vehicles were in the yard, if we smelt cigarettes in the morning and reported it the agency was told and said drivers did not come again

• Like 1

Having read the comments below the post on You Tube ,  one of those referred to smoking on board.     I noticed that the reply stated that on certain cheaper boats Richardsons still allow smoking.     So anyone who cannot afford a boat other than a cheap boat is going to get that disgusting smell throughout the boat.    What is wrong with smokers smoking outside,  my hubby used to smoke and he would never dream of smoking in bed (dangerous for a start) and also the smell, let alone the health implications for kiddies if they were the next family on board.

It seems that there are few things that carry such "hard line" views but smoking is certainly one!

Without wishing to inflame any tempers, I have to ask what the "health implications" are for a person of any age to be in a confined area where someone has smoked over a couple of hours ago. Personally I would have said "none at all".

It is these over-reactions that de-value genuine concerns and real dangers. Sorry if this seems an attack on you Hylander, but I have to take issue with your assertion... " let alone the health implications for kiddies if they were the next family on board."

• Like 1

I tend to agree with you in a way MM but if it were me and it was my family I would not like it one bit.   These days it is expected that people do not smoke and those that do are very much looked down on.  I will tell you a tale.   My elderly sister and I (when Mum was still alive) were at the hospital visiting.   Sis was dying for a fag and we decided to go outside and so my sister could have her cigarette.      We walked away from the front doors and she lit up.  All of a sudden this loud speaker (the whole of Kent could hear I am sure) bellowed "This is a non smoking area put that cigarette out".    Well we looked at each other startled and ran up the road like two naughty school children.   We did laugh and had to walk a long way for this blessed cigarette.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Hylander said:

These days it is expected that people do not smoke and those that do are very much looked down on.  

I am not sure I can agree with that Hylander. I think it is accepted that there are people who smoke and it is their right to do so. As for looking down on smokers, is that what you really meant? To look down on someone who is exercising their right to do something you personally don’t approve of? I can’t believe you really meant that! I will add here that I gave up smoking some 40 years ago having seen my grandfather die from lung cancer and almost losing a dear friend (at the age of 30) to a blood clot. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke on a person and the way it clings to everything but I would never look down on a person because of it. 

I used to smoke at  least 30 a day on a "good" day!  Rothman International which my local shop used to get in specifically for me and which I used to buy 200 at a time. I gave up on the persistent  nagging of Tony and because a good friend of mine had had a very difficult life bringing up 2 children  as a single parent and had met a man who was emphatically non smoking and had told her that they had no future together while she smoked. She had promised to give up on New Years Eve 1989 so thinking me smoking would make it harder for her and I wanted her to have a better future I gave up too and have never smoked since. I always loathed a smoky atmosphere and used to buy bulk orders of anti smoke air fresheners from the wholesalers so my home never smelled even when I smoked. Today  I really dislike the smell and notice it instantly. Also because smoking is not nearly so prevalent these days as it was it's much more noticeable I think. I would hate to use a boat that smelled of stale cigarette smoke and anyone lighting up  in close proximity to my grandchildren would incur my extreme displeasure. the irony of this tale is that I never smoked again but my friend didn't manage to quit and he married her anyway!

Carole

29 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I am not sure I can agree with that Hylander. I think it is accepted that there are people who smoke and it is their right to do so. As for looking down on smokers, is that what you really meant? To look down on someone who is exercising their right to do something you personally don’t approve of? I can’t believe you really meant that! I will add here that I gave up smoking some 40 years ago having seen my grandfather die from lung cancer and almost losing a dear friend (at the age of 30) to a blood clot. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke on a person and the way it clings to everything but I would never look down on a person because of it. 

Vanessan - 'looked down on' was exactly how my sister and I felt that day.    You would have thought we had done something really bad.    Smokers are banished to an outside shed in most places.     So yes I did mean what I said ,  having been on the end of being bellowed at.

47 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Vanessan - 'looked down on' was exactly how my sister and I felt that day.    You would have thought we had done something really bad.    Smokers are banished to an outside shed in most places.     So yes I did mean what I said ,  having been on the end of being bellowed at.

I get your meaning now, when I read your post originally it came across to me as if you looked down on smokers. I didn’t think that could be the case, didn’t really sound like you at all! Glad I clarified that, apologies Hylander.