2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

The rules really are very simple...

Restored woody gives way to scruffy GRP

Clean gives way to dirty

Experience gives way to Novice

Intelligence gives way to stupidity

Gentlefolk give way to thugs

and finally … Everyone gives way to me. 

I love this, this needs printing and framing!

1 minute ago, vanessan said:

And it doesn’t stop at first time hirers! I wouldn’t mind betting there are more than a few privateers that have no idea of how the horn should be used or the rights of way on the rivers. “Just give way and relax” - perfect sense. 

This is true. Vessel B in my example (the shouty one) was not a hire boat.

Good topic. The number of times I have had to quickly go astern to avoid someone cutting the corners on the Ant too. Dangerous in many ways especially if the water level is low. 

Life is too short for stressing, issue is most folks forget their boat weighs 6 or more tons and has considerable forward momentum even at minimal speeds. Malanka is 11 and although nimble takes a wee while to anchor up if necessary.

M

6 minutes ago, Davydine said:

I love this, this needs printing and framing!

This is true. Vessel B in my example (the shouty one) was not a hire boat.

Sounds like a privateer who thinks he knows it all and should be looked up to as he has his own boat! Funny thing is, you come across these people every day on the roads too. Won’t give way to anybody and behave like they own the highways. Sad really. 

• Like 2

When my Dad taught me to drive 45 years ago the first thing he told me was to treat all other vehicles as if they were about to cause an accident. I think they call it defensive driving now.

I bring the same to helming and give way at all times especially if there is an opportunity for doubt or indecision, I'm in no hurry and have made plenty of mistakes of my own in the past and will make more in future without doubt.

I don't like shouty, bombastic and aggressive people... but you can find them anywhere and the majority of people are really rather nice.

• Like 7

Why is it that these "experts" that do all the shouting and horn blowing and NEVER do anything wrong are always in such a hurry that they cannot slow down for a second ,...wait for a second ......and then carry on with NORMAL blood pressure?

After all you are on holiday so take it easy and ENJOY yourself

Jeff

• Like 5

One of my favourite stories. I was sailing the dinghy one day, racing, on Hickling. I needed to put in a tack and there was a day boat crewed by an oriental group right where I wanted to go ( I was well over coming up to where the yachts moor, and they were well out the channel )

I hailed them several times, saying I was about to tack and to stand clear, finally stating " I'm a sailing boat, you should give way"

The answer, forever remembered......  " me ruddy motorboat - you give way ! "

• Haha 2

On 05/02/2019 at 08:23, Wyndham said:

I had no idea that horn signals are used to communicate.

We must have confused the hell out of some people in the summer when my Grandson found the horn button and what it did. :default_biggrin:

I

We must have confused the hell out of some people in the summer when my Grandson found the horn button and what it did. :default_biggrin:

I'm well known for giving people the horn:default_biggrin:

I once not too long ago, probably last year,   entered the Ant got round three bends and met Albion under sail coming down river,  she had her sail out good n proper too.

Knowing as we all do that power gives way to sail and also knowing that due defference is in order where Albion is concerned the order was given by myselt to myself - 'About turn'    Only that would have been kinda awkward in the narrow confines of the Ant with the Albion bearing down on us. We could have passed but it would have been wherry tight.  Only one thing for it.  Astern we went all the way back out onto the Bure.  Safest and easiest way to give her a trouble free passage.

Now that is what's called 'Giving way to sail'

Griff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Once, on the Bure I saw (and heard) the Captain of a Richardson's craft loudly tell the skipper of Albion that he (the Wherry) was on th wrong side of the river. How did I know he was the captain of the cruiser ? His hat titled him thus :default_norty:

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Poppy said:

Once, on the Bure I saw (and heard) the Captain of a Richardson's craft loudly tell the skipper of Albion that he (the Wherry) was on th wrong side of the river. How did I know he was the captain of the cruiser ? His hat titled him thus :default_norty:

I've had the same, sailing down the River Ant. As the motor cruiser was going up river in the middle, there was just a small bit of space both sides..