ratings on a dinghy

Hi Steve

Category A - Ocean.

Extended voyages with wind force in excess of Beaufort force 8, and significant wave height of 4 metres or above.

Category B Offshore

Offshore voyages in possible wind force of Beaufort force 8 and significant wave heights of up to 4 metres.

Category C Inshore

Voyages on coastal waters, large lakes, bays estuaries, or rivers, where wind force of up to force 6 on the Beaufort scale and significant wave heights of up to 2 metres may be experienced.

Category D Sheltered waters

Designed for voyages on sheltered inland waterways, including lakes, rivers and canals, where wind force 4 and significant wave height of 0.5 metres may be experienced.

regards

Wayne

I do think the RCD categories need to be taken under advisement and due diligence exercised, ours is cat “B†but I would be more than a little concerned at using her in 13 foot seas in a full gale. :o:o

There is I think from memory a little more to it than just the wind and sea height. I think I am right in saying that part of it is the distance from safe harbour that the vessel can operate.

If you only have a range of 150 miles then you can't possibly operate 100 miles from safe harbour hence a cat A ship with small tanks could be reclassified B. My Bosses Princess 65 is cat B just the same as mine, would they handle the same seas? I think not.