Beccles Old Bridge Passage In March

Thiswan

Hi, I'm hiring a boat for the week beginning the 9th of March on the Southern Rivers and would really like to go down to Geldeston Lock. I've checked for low tides at Beccles old bridge and with an Air Draft of 6.ft  9, I think I should be fine, but I notice clearance listed refers to the Summertime tides what are the chances of maybe getting under and not being able to get back? Does anyone know the highest low water expected at that time approximately? Anyone ever been stuck the other side of a bridge? only happened to me the once at Thorpe but only had to wait for a few hours thankfully.

Sorry if this should have been posted in the Bridges section.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thiswan said:

Hi, I'm hiring a boat for the week beginning the 9th of March on the Southern Rivers and would really like to go down to Geldeston Lock. I've checked for low tides at Beccles old bridge and with an Air Draft of 6.ft  9, I think I should be fine, but I notice clearance listed refers to the Summertime tides what are the chances of maybe getting under and not being able to get back? Does anyone know the highest low water expected at that time approximately? Anyone ever been stuck the other side of a bridge? only happened to me the once at Thorpe but only had to wait for a few hours thankfully.

Sorry if this should have been posted in the Bridges section.

I would agree with Grendel, alternatively, i`m not sure if Beccles yacht station is open this time of year, but if so, give them a call and they will be able to tell you, or alternatively, call Hipperson boatyard and ask them, the same goes for Deby`s quay, they`re 100 yds from the bridge, so they should be able to help you out.  One thing i will say, if you have to wait for the clearance to be right when ABOVE the bridge, you could moor up at the Beccles Lido pontoon for a while. It`s a very pleasant spot, we moored there last June when we had an too little for the bridge. I`m really glad we did, nice picturesque spot, and some good fishing.

• Like 1

:default_blink:

Hi.

I was not expecting the Pub to be open it would be interesting as the last time I went there 1972 it was lit by candlelight and a little voice came out of the darkness "We only have bottled Beer you sit down and I'll get it" someone later told me I'd met the Ghost of Susan! was the live Susan still around in the 1970ties?

28 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Please tell us of your experiences at the Locks. New set-up, it's certainly not the Locks as we know it. 

The Wherry in Geldeston is worth a visit though. I expect that would be open being a village pub. Very good it was too the last couple of times we visited, and on the second visit it was clear that they had successfully attracted local custom. In fact the last time we were up that end of the river we had abandoned The Locks in favour of The Wherry (before The Locks management changed hands I should add).

• Like 1

Yes I think I've been there twice it was sometime in  the 80ties on White Dolphin from Hippersons  went in at the beginning of the week and the landlord gave us a long spiel about special ale that he was trying out only for customers he liked etc, We went again the night before we had to return the boat and yes the same spiel to the letter. I can't remember if the pub had its own mooring or did we moor near that old concrete bridge and walk?

Memories ahhh

Hi Thiswan Rise and fall at beccles  between a foot and two foot you can moor at the yacht station even if not open its all open park land,  to wait for the tide same at the other side coming back at the lido/swimming pool some of the bends can be shallow on the inside at low water. John

• Like 2