Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

marshman

Horning Village Car Park ( By The Swan )

Recommended Posts

Just a quick heads up that this car park has now gone hi tech ( - with a corresponding increase in charges!)

Now has loads of smart new signs and an obligatory camera so be warned that if you outstay your time you will have an automatic fine.

Swan users can input their details in the pub but for other mere mortals its now a £1 an hour!!! Seems a bit OTT for Horning but it will put pressure on the rest of the village, particularly in the road just up the hill!!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kill the towns kill the villages, that's what parking charges do eventually nobody will want to park and the shops and businesses that relied on custom from road users will suffer and close, probably including the swan as people Just don't want a problem when parking and will drive to the next pub that has their own Free car park.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vicious circle. Fewer shoppers leads to fewer shops which leads to fewer people out and about, leading to fewer pub customers. Bad move all round. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years back, I used to park in there for free. Then it went to pay machine. Now it's Hi-tech. For a small village car park. Talk about overkill. Marshman, when you say "input their details in The Swan" does that mean you can use it free if you dine in The Swan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I maybe be wrong, but believe that the Swan (Vintage Inns) owns or leases the car park? Which is why it is free for their customers and also for the coaches that drop of for The Southern Comfort and the staff of The Southern Comfort. I believe they lease, rent or have some arrangement with The Swan.

If that is the case then you can see why they would want to try and protect an asset that is for their customers from being abused by all and sundry! If it is indeed still a parish or council car park then that is a different matter.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

What does Packman think he's doing???

Not sure what jurisdiction he has over private car parks? Other than making sure the OTT signage is toned down, which I believe it has been a little since last year?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eddybear said:

Kill the towns kill the villages, that's what parking charges do eventually nobody will want to park and the shops and businesses that relied on custom from road users will suffer and close, probably including the swan as people Just don't want a problem when parking and will drive to the next pub that has their own Free car park.

It would appear that Mitchel and Butlers do own the car park and therefore it is free to the pub customers. Perhaps if the businesses in Horning offered to pay M+B towards the maintenance of the car park then they might let their customers also park for free? Near me there is a similar situation with a small parade of shops with double yellow lines outside. All day long people use the nearby pub car park to park and do their shopping. All hell broke out when they started to lock the car park during the hours they were closed and policing who parked there when they were open. You can still park there if using the pub!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shhhhhhh, dont tell everyone but the Parish Council do provide a free car park in Horning at the parish hall. You can walk down Mill Loke and come out by t he staithe or cross the playing field to the footpath that comes out by the New Inn.

Just don't tell everyone ....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the Pub need to protect parking capacity for their patrons but there is also the view that someone prepared to travel to Horning and vist the local shops etc has a significant probability of visiting the Pub also?   

Maybe seasonal charges could be a fairer solution?  So in the winter when the place is very quiet the local shops still get some passing trade.....without getting stung with parking charges,  or has the EU banned goodwill these days to?!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

What does Packman think he's doing???

well as long as he can make it a national park car park, he can put the prices up :default_coat:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you mean the car park that I think you do, we parked there last year and didn't mind paying. It's just a bit hit and miss with any pay-up-front car park as to guessing how long you might be. We didn't use the Swan, we walked down to the New Inn, wandered around the shops, then back to the car.

Paying for parking is a fact of life in most places apart from retail parks and out of town shopping centres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the mention of cameras and entering details bells ring for me to suggest or ask if M & B have given over the actual running of the carpark to some evil beings like parking eye?? If so, practice your appeals!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it was parking eye that got a whole bunch of us from work at holiday inn when we were doing some training, the tablet we were supposed to use to register our cars wasnt available, so we all filled out the paper forms, and we can only surmise that one sheet wasnt handed in (or input into the computer) either way we collectively appealed at the same time and got it squashed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SwanR said:

Paying for parking is a fact of life in most places apart from retail parks and out of town shopping centres.

You're not even safe with that stay too long, or return to soon may be to collect a family member that wants to spend some time in the shop but not with you (yes the wife) and you could find yourself with hefty parking fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eddybear said:

You're not even safe with that stay too long, or return to soon may be to collect a family member that wants to spend some time in the shop but not with you (yes the wife) and you could find yourself with hefty parking fine.

That does seem to be the case. We quite like the fact that at least if you have to pay and have paid by phone you can extend your parking time from your phone if you're held up for any reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

What does Packman think he's doing???

 

13 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Not sure what jurisdiction he has over private car parks? Other than making sure the OTT signage is toned down, which I believe it has been a little since last year?

ECIPA, You're quite right matey. My comment was just a playful prod at Marshman, one he quite rightly totally ignored. :default_smile:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't  particularly bemoaning the fact that you have to pay, other than £1 per hour in Horning is a little steep, but the fact that they have gone this way in a village where even the yellow lines are seasonable!! And yes you can do it by phone and yes it is one of those pesky parking companies. All a bit unnecessary IMHO as it is basically designed to catch the unwary!!

I was merely drawing your attention to it so none of you do have to practise your appeal letters!! I fact the cost of it all will probably outweigh the benefits as there is still plenty of on road parking around the back, if you know, less than 100m away!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

It would appear that Mitchel and Butlers do own the car park and therefore it is free to the pub customers. Perhaps if the businesses in Horning offered to pay M+B towards the maintenance of the car park then they might let their customers also park for free? Near me there is a similar situation with a small parade of shops with double yellow lines outside. All day long people use the nearby pub car park to park and do their shopping. All hell broke out when they started to lock the car park during the hours they were closed and policing who parked there when they were open. You can still park there if using the pub!

Perhaps then there is a strong case for pub customers being charged (say £1 per hour) to park on the Village Staithe.....:default_norty:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the question remains, why parking is free to pub customers. If you arrive by boat and use their mooring, it's not free!!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I guess the question remains, why parking is free to pub customers. If you arrive by boat and use their mooring, it's not free!!!!

An issue that I have with one or two pubs!  Overnight mooring, fair enough, but just dropping in for a pint, not on.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beccles has stacks of free parking, vibrant town.

Lowestoft has stacks of pay to park, town centre dying on its feet.

Obvious conclusion.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I guess the question remains, why parking is free to pub customers. If you arrive by boat and use their mooring, it's not free!!!!

simple park your boat in the car park. take a good long run down the straight, ignore the corner and you might just make it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, grendel said:

simple park your boat in the car park. take a good long run down the straight, ignore the corner and you might just make it.

Wonder if Euro Car Parks would contact the BA for owner details though! Still would create a handy new slip way across the green! :default_rofl:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • NBN Mobile App

    Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

    Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.