• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

marshman

Horning Village Car Park ( By The Swan )

2 minutes ago, grendel said:

simple park your boat in the car park. take a good long run down the straight, ignore the corner and you might just make it.

There is a certain pub at Burgh St Peter, which shall remain nameless,  where a local did just that! Well, not quite but he parked his boat on a trailer in the car-park just to make a point. Must have been ignored though as moorings are still charged for. However, boat mooring is less expensive than for parking your tent or caravan for the night!

The Swan owns, the Car park, the sailing club car park, the Swan green, the Sailing club island, the grass in front of the Swan, and the land under the parish road which goes round the Swan.

12 ft depth from the bank, from the end of the gravel path on Swan green, round to the SC car Park and the Island are leased to the Sailing club. Which costs a fair amount of money. (that's a battle when that gets revalued every 5 years IIRC).

The Sailing club has some security of tenure due to one of the clubs founders being an owner of Norwich breweries, which at one time owned the Swan, setting  the terms of the original lease, . They do however have to pay a market rent for the lease...

The Tarmac'd Swan Car Park is leased to  a parking company, which I believe makes the Swan around £50,000 a year..

PS, I'm not on the committee or held a "official" role, this is just information I've picked up over the last 40+ years at HSC..

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Paul said:

Shhhhhhh, dont tell everyone but the Parish Council do provide a free car park in Horning at the parish hall. You can walk down Mill Loke and come out by t he staithe or cross the playing field to the footpath that comes out by the New Inn.

Just don't tell everyone ....

Have you used that footpath from the playing field recently Paul? We tried to find it last October but there seemed to be work going on in that area and it wasn’t very evident. We ended up retracing our steps back across the playing field and down Mill Loke, the dogs didn’t complain anyway as they got a longer walk! 

Horning is a lovely village, I accept parking charges as just one of those things these days.

I have never moored at Horning for a quick pint in one of the nice pubs as I've never seen a space free!!! I know you can book but fancying a quick pint when you see a nice pub isn't quite the same thing as booking in advance. 

I should cruise down there out of season I guess :12_slight_smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

I should cruise down there out of season I guess :12_slight_smile:

Last Tuesday lunchtime you could have had the choice of any mooring you wanted at Horning!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Regulo said:

Last Tuesday lunchtime you could have had the choice of any mooring you wanted at Horning!

regulo was there and frightened the others away

• Haha 2

That could have been it, I suppose!:default_wink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vanessan said:

Have you used that footpath from the playing field recently Paul? We tried to find it last October but there seemed to be work going on in that area and it wasn’t very evident. We ended up retracing our steps back across the playing field and down Mill Loke, the dogs didn’t complain anyway as they got a longer walk! 

They may have been working on the path itself as i understand they have resurfaced it and made it "accessible". You certainly can't miss it now unless you are looking too far down the field. The path cuts in from the end of Pinewood Drive by the bowling green and leaves the playing field behind the play park, bringing you out opposite what was that little row of shops next to the New Inn, of which I think only the Golden City remains, the other two having been converted to residential. It shows up well on google maps aerial photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1