The Trial Run

Roger,

This one had me in pain from laughter last time I read it and it is just as good the second time round, keep it comming.

I think it is the total familiouraity that the whole ordeal brings, it just sounds so much more fun the way you tell it. cheersbar

Ian

Part Eight

The reverse manoeuvre has commenced, all is not well, but the crew rally round.

The Alifred, lay peacefully at her mooring. Immaculate, Gleaming chrome rails surrounded the decks. Pennants fluttered from the aerials. An imposing ensign on the stern endorsed the boats importance.

On board Mr and Mrs Entwhistle, Alice and Fred, both enjoying their customary sun downers of generous Gin and Tonics. (Indeed, old Fred also enjoyed a few sun uppers as well  plus a midday swifty or two, just to keep the tonsils lubricated  don't you know!!)

What caused Fred to look up, we shall never know. A sixth sense perhaps. As he looked out of the starboard window he saw this vision, this apparition, of a boat careering in full reverse towards the Alifred. On the stern, a wild looking women, hair blowing in the wind, clutching a boat hook like Bodicea ready to lance the enemy.

In this case the enemy was the highly painted white gloss of the Alifred.

Fred started to have a bronchospasm.

Alice desperately tried to find her glasses.

Fred reached the foredeck. Hyperventilating.

Put that ****** thing down woman
You could feel a solicitor coming on.

You can't moor here.......Pal!
You had the distinct feeling that he was not your Pal In fact you could hardly imagine him ever being your Pal

And then a miraculous thing happened. One of the fenders on Tranquil Moments snagged a rope attached to a mud weight. (hirers like to put mud weights down at ever possible opportunity  a feel good factor)
The boat slowed and slew to rest, inches from the gleaming paint work.

And then the true camaraderie of the Broads came to the fore. Willing hands assisted in the task of mooring the boat having of course been advised to turn off the engine.
Thanks a lot you guy's, must have been the wind that caught me

There was no wind

Come on inside Darling and have a nice drink
With shaking hands you gulp down a large Bells whisky.
After what you hoped was an appropriate period of time you decide to venture out of the stern door.

Fred was lying down in a darkened room

The chap next door seemed friendly enough.
Hi mate  how are you doing?
Oh hello! A bit frazzled I'm afraid
Don't worry about it. We've all been there
In no time at all other people gathered round to pontificate on the days events.
It was looking good.

After an enjoyable meal, the first day was coming to a close.

The children were put to bed, exhausted they soon fell asleep.

Mafeking, because of a rather unpleasant nocturnal condition, was placed in the middle of the boat, with the doors shut, and a window left open.

And so to bed.

You both snuggle down the duvet.

Gerald Darling was whispered in your ear.
You can't help thinking that it sounds promising.
Yes dear

The bottom of the bed is soaking wet!

In the still of the night, a Barn Owl hooted it's haunting cry, a distant cluck of a nervous Coot, the sound of water gently lapping against the hull, and, like a metronome, the steady relentless, muffled sound, of condensation dripping from the window onto the duvet.

Daaad!

What now?

I'm frightened!

THE END .............................for the time being.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with you on this one Jill,

wheres roger gone :(

I had exactly the same thought...there are a few more missing as well I think. :!::!:

Off on their hols maybe??

Regards:

Clive. :band:band:band

:santawave: :santawave:

Fantastic Link there :)

one of my favorites

"To and through Yarmouth

Some people think that going through Yarmouth is akin to rounding the Horn, this is patently untrue, the Horn being further south, and having slightly worse weather. But it can be a bit daunting the first time."

• 1 year later...

fantastic tale

and i can relate to

all the problems that first time handling

of the boats can bring :grin::grin:

i thought all the young chaps

who give trial runs where called simon :naughty:

Ive seen it 1000 times but never written down :clap:clap:clap

all so real, wether anybody would admit it we have all been there before and also cringed when we have seen it.

most trial run drivers have a speil and the jokes tend to go from one run to another, I had mine, it is hard talking to strangers (for me) but meeting so many different people is a great part of the life on a boatyard.

Roger, what happened next?