Countryfile 10/02/2019

MauriceMynah

11 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

"English Nature or natural England is not an organisation I have any faith in".

Nor me, to be honest. But, as the government agency charged with overseeing such projects, they're the people the Broads Authority have to please, or the required dredging just won't happen...

I don't have a problem with what is being done on Hickling with the dredging or the way the spoil is being used and what it will create but I do have a problem with the spin as to the extent it will benefit wildlife and also on blaming the limited number of boats that can use the area for causing problems with clouding the water, it would also be nice if they got their facts right as last time I counted there were more than five rivers feeding the Norfolk-Suffolk broads, the Thurne windmill part was interesting though.

Fred

• Like 2

What they did not say it is in part being funded by Europe and is a CANAPE project - Creating a New Approach to Peatland Ecosystems! Hows that for an acronym??. And new reedbeds will benefit wildlife and will help get rid of those very shallow stagnant bays that surround Hickling and which are caused by the geese eating the reeds and leaving it open to wave action. What they have managed over the last few years has made a measurable improvement to the surrounds in some areas around Hickling and this is an extension of that. And doesn't everyone, including individuals, blow their own trumpet if they are achieving something - and why not???

And Fred of course you are right about the rivers - there must be several hundred  as indeed there are forming every single river in the world! Naming all the tributaries would have taken all the programme - there has to be some editing methinks!!!

Perhaps I am stating the obvious but I do know that Countryfile was in contact with the Authority regarding the BNP tag, subsequently Countryfile chose to delete any mention of the BNP. I can only guess that the information hastily supplied by a number of the so called 'awkward squad' outweighed the spin originating from on high. Yes, you could perhaps accuse Countryfile of being judge and jury but on this occasion reality and honesty came to the fore.  From when JP announced that the Broads was to be featured on Countryfile to the actual broadcast date was not long. BBC researchers were therefore quick off the mark! My hat is well and truly off to the BBC, obviously we can trust their information. Countryfile has acknowledged the legal position, as I've posted before the Campaign for National Parks has also acknowledged that same legal position and even JP has grudgingly acknowledged it when challenged, it must be true then! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marshman said:

What they did not say it is in part being funded by Europe and is a CANAPE project - Creating a New Approach to Peatland Ecosystems! Hows that for an acronym??. And new reedbeds will benefit wildlife and will help get rid of those very shallow stagnant bays that surround Hickling and which are caused by the geese eating the reeds and leaving it open to wave action. What they have managed over the last few years has made a measurable improvement to the surrounds in some areas around Hickling and this is an extension of that. And doesn't everyone, including individuals, blow their own trumpet if they are achieving something - and why not???

And Fred of course you are right about the rivers - there must be several hundred  as indeed there are forming every single river in the world! Naming all the tributaries would have taken all the programme - there has to be some editing methinks!!!

I wasn`t talking about hundreds just the 7 navigable ones, I agree its an improvement it was just  the exaggerated statement boats cause the problem with no mention of the benefits they bring to the broads.

Fred

• Like 3

In the case of Hickling when the wind 'hully hosses acroorse t' Broad' in trues Norfolk style, whipping up the waves, mud banks can and are washed away only to be recreated elsewhere on the Broads. Nature itself can lift and stir up the silt on a far greater scale than ever do boats. Ask any angler, the water is far more likely to be coloured with silt after a gale than it ever it is by boats.

• Like 1

Just to clarify my comment I am not being pedantic but when a public information broadcaster like the BBC puts out informative programmes then they need to be accurate, I have noticed inaccuracies on Country File and similar programmes with a semi-political agenda before  and while we may know better it is very easy to give people who don't a misleading impression and guide them into taking a viewpoint that suits the objectives , we already have our own past master at that.

Fred

• Like 2

Fred - you are being pedantic!! Is the BBC really regarded still as an accurate public information service anymore than say, a newspaper? Why should the BBC be more accurate than any other news, or information, provider?

In fact I find them a very biased, especially their news programmes, and I am afraid I expect them to be no more accurate than the Daily Mail - and that about says it all! Countryfile is prepared by humans and as it goes out at peak viewing times on a weekly basis, I would take all they say as being unverified - my guess is that they are more interested in providing good television rather than facts you can stake your life on!

However thats only my view....

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, marshman said:

my guess is that they are more interested in providing good television

I quite agree except for the bit about "good" television.

I fear that there is nowadays a genre of TV presenter which dishes out vapid "early evening" dross such as the One Show, who have never forgotten their Blue Peter origins and have thus never quite grown up.

Personally, I think the Broads got away with that programme quite lightly. It could have been a lot worse!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Hickling will disappear when natural England’s plan to stop fixing flood defenses and allow the sea in come to fruition. 

On record go check. 

M

That was actually one of the reasons that it was decided that the Broads could NOT be a national park, that too is on record. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malanka said:

Hickling will disappear when natural England’s plan to stop fixing flood defenses and allow the sea in come to fruition. 

On record go check. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/3337559/Plan-to-allow-sea-to-flood-Norfolk-villages.html

This might be several years old but never the less its still on the cards!

"Hickling will disappear when natural England’s plan to stop fixing flood defenses and allow the sea in come to fruition". 

I heard similar from a group (I believe they were called 'Save our Broads') who had a stall outside the old 'Broadshaven' pub at Potter Heigham in the early summer of 2006. The S.O.B. leaflets insisted that "It was Government policy, to allow a 'managed retreat' of sea defences and that several villages and the Upper Thurne Broads would be lost to the sea, with new defences built along a line in front of Hickling village and Potter Heigham". Just two years later, the new stone coastal protection groynes were being built at Horsey. In addition, a further phase of coastal  protection stone groynes began in 2015 between Happisburgh and Winterton. Plans are also in hand to repair/rebuild the concrete wall, which protects the dunes along the Waxham stretch of coast.

It would seem, there's an awful lot of money being spent, on sea defences (not to mention the dredging work at Hickling Broad), in an area where the intention is to allow the sea to break through and flood. I think the 'Norfolk Wildlife Trust' and it's members too, will be a little miffed, having just spent £2,300,000 buying the Hickling Estate from the Mills family. You would have thought they might have had their 'ears to the ground' before spending that amount of money on what is apparently, soon to be sea bed...

Doesn’t anyone do Irony on this forum. 

Natural England shouldn’t be permitted to sell snow to eskimos never mind advise our parliament so stuffed with PPE degrees they wouldn’t recognize fact from fantasy. The stupid is palpable. 

Keep your eyes and ears open Natural England are about nothing natural... 

Culvert clearing and the Summerset levels anyone??

M