Rats

Wussername

Nothing to do with rats, but we did have an infestation once which probably cost us close to the OPs losses.

We had a cat, not the healthiest of specimens at the best of times, but we went through a period of constantly taking her to the vets with some kind of stomach upset. The insurance was useless as they only pay out once per condition, so every time we picked up the tab.

Then by accident we found the problem.

20150509_134001.thumb.jpg.cbc76f33c16222401f72e6442d6a1222.jpg

That is a form of flour mite that had found it's way into the cats dried biscuit cupboard and causing the problem.

These things are so small, you could fit 4 onto a grain of salt. I got the picture by getting them caught on sellotape and using a microscope from work to display onto a PC.

You don't know you've got them, even if they were all over your kitchen worktops, wipe your hand across and you'd just think it was dusty.

They are a nightmare to get rid of.

Sleep well everyone.:default_biggrin:

I've had a rat coming over the bottom wall of the garden due to them having apple and plum trees and fruit drops our way. I've had to wire fence the bottom decking off and place traps in bait boxes but this one is not playing game, the cctv picks up the eyes and it runs up the side path and across to the drive & it was 2 to 3 times a night.

I'm stuck with having the dog now and can't use my proven method which is sweet smelling liquid soap, they eat it and go and don't return.

Years ago my old man was in hospital and my mother ranting I can hear something at night etc so put it down to her been at home by herself, after a few night of having to get a taxi round after a beer & soap attack was used to prove nothing was there.

I put a dish of soap in the corner of the bathroom with toilet paper to see which route it was taking due to builders working in the house as well. She was right roland was there and it was flush through with soap and it had left poop all round the bathroom. I win.

On 13/02/2019 at 11:18, Gretzky said:

A friend of mine had mice on his boat a few years ago.

When I lived in the UK - shortly after we had moved out to the Cheshire countryside - mice got into the shed where I had stored a number of model /RC aircraft and they ate large holes in the wheels.

• Sad 1

We once lived temporarily (while between houses) in a house on a  farm. Although it  was a modern house it  soon became apparent that we had "lodgers" in the shape of mice. They got everywhere.  Fortunately I'm not  averse to them as some women appear to be. My bête noir is spiders. We were living there during the Christmas of that year and I had one parcel left unwrapped which I asked my daughter to wrap for me. It was a Terry's chocolate orange which had been left on a chair in the dining room. She brought it to me asking if it looked "right" to me. It ceratinly didn't half of it was missing! I then noticed a hole in the wall of the adjacent chimney breast. The only thing I had to hand to plug it at that time was a ball of tin foil which I stuffed into the hole.  Later on that day we heard  a real racket coming from behind the tin foil as the little blighters  tried to chew their way through it to get to the chocolate. A more permanent  remedy was applied  and that was the end of the problem in the dining room. After we had moved on we subsequently  learned that the adjacent house occupants were less than hygienic and when they vacated their house it was found to be so overrun with vermin of all types as to be uninhabitable until fumigated.

Carole

I don't normally leave fishing groundbait in a shed during the winter but I did forget one tub which I found today. Incredible, the little bar steward hadn't actually got into the container but it had nibbled about half way round the edge of the lid!  I was amazed! The grounbait is pretty pungent and it must have been a very determined and hungry mouse. 

P2152897.JPG

P2152898.JPG