Lovely Morning At Salhouse

Jbx5

50 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

A late start to work today so had the girls out for a walk around Salhouse broad. I thought it would be fairly busy as it’s half term but lovely and peaceful. The calm before the storm in a few weeks.

John

5AE8D4E5-8EE1-4015-B9B7-2C2989CBAB01.jpeg

D583AF74-5E4F-4C4D-8846-038D22362D88.jpeg

CDB492A0-4DBA-4940-BD99-DF51B4F7C20D.jpeg

Ok, where are the Moles there ought to be Moles!

• Like 1

Moles, moles, wherefore art thou moles...

It always strikes me as a very precarious existence, being a broadland mole. They often seem to live in places that are prone to flooding. I wonder, do they perhaps have 'floodproof' bolt holes, or do they have a 'sixth sense' that tells them when to move to higher ground, if flooding is imminent?.

I know they're not everyones favourite beastie, certainly not if you have a well tended lawn, which can turn into something resembling a Somme battlefield overnight. I have a sneaking admiration for the little velvety miners, toiling away in their own little niche environment, but then I don't have a pristine lawn... :default_biggrin:

One of our Airedale’s was a great Mole deterrent, she used to stand still cock her head to one side then tense and leap three or four feet into the air, then pounce paws down onto the offending pile on the lawn. She got really good at it. No mole, rat, or mouse was safe. 

She also had a penchant for hedgehogs, and subsequently died of a brain infection from bacteria from deer ticks found on hedgehogs. Very traumatic and quite horrible. We disabuse our current aireboys that hedgehogs are for chucking about the garden. Not always successfully but we do try. 

M

• Like 1

I can! lol

It's fitted out inside with solid mahogany and has all the gizmos and gadgets you could ask for. I only mention this to put the price in perspective. Asking price was £34,950 and we agreed on £30k.

It came with a full recent independent survey and the seller was a trusted source. I really couldn't be more pleased with her :) 

And thank you for the compliments

• Like 2

It is but lots of work has been done her over the years including window replacements.

What someone may be able to help me with is why is a Dawncraft 30 also  called a Bounty DC30. I can see the DC30 fits but where does Bounty come in?

For those with a memory, she was quite well known some years back as she was owned by a publican who did all the improvements and named her "Sir Losis of the River" :default_biggrin:

The hulls were moulded by Aquafibre who called them the DC30. I`m not sure if they were called that because Dawncraft had the first hulls with a Bounty custom wooden top, but there were several built. I think (though not 100%) this one may have been operated from Swancraft at Brundall. They had 2,  i think (again not 100 sure) they were called Swan Regent and Swan Regina. Maffets and Paul Pleasurecraft (later to become Arrow Boats) both had one each,  Maffetts was Kingfisher, reg no N694, Arrow Boats was called Cherokee, which was sold and renamed Goodall Gal. The last i heard was that Goodall Gal was moored somewhere in Stalham, and Kingfisher (still called Kingfisher) is moored in Hippersons yard in Beccles.

AND BEFORE YOU LOT SAY ANYTHING, YES, i know i should get out more lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I forgot to add, Kingfisher`s superstructure and fwd cockpit are slightly different to the others as John replaced the whole superstructure sometime in the 80s, and modified slightly by making them double skinned with 3/4" thick marine ply laminated to 3/4" solid mahogony outer. He also replaced and repositioned the water tank from the bow to elsewhere (aft cockpit locker?) so as to enable a slightly larger fwd cockpit, with a locker for rond anchors etc in the bow.

• Thanks 2

On 23/02/2019 at 09:14, Ray said:

Misty morning at Salhouse, same place but greyer.. brightening up soon hopefully. 

IMG_20190223_082630.jpg

I agree with everybody else, she really is a stunner, and one of my favourite looking Broads cruisers. We hired Maffetts Kingfisher many times between 79 and 2003.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are E469 which 'Boats of the Broads' tell me was Swan Regent!

Many thanks indeed for the info and compliments.

Our watertank is port side just astern of midships, there seem to be more lockers than possible in bother bow and stern wells, a bit like the Tardis!

Edit, she is now called Dakota

• Like 2