Baby Ducks

garryn

'Garryn' isn't that far out, as Egyptian Geese are more related to Shelduck than other species of geese. They are one of the many 'invasive species' that inhabit our area. As has been mentioned, they can breed early in the year and can continue breeding throughout the year.

They can be extremely aggressive, both amongst others of their ilk and to other species, killing other waterbirds which stray into their territory. The unfortunate thing is, I'm told they taste very fatty with a slight 'fishy' taste, so are not popular with wildfowlers, thus their numbers are unfortunately increasing unchecked, to the cost of our indigenous waterbirds..

One thing a lot of people never know is that most wildlife breed according to climatic conditions, hence why a lot of fish can spawn as early as the beginning of February, and as late as August, which makes a mockery of the closed season. I can`t see why this would be any different for other species of wildlife, especially when you see birds building nests a few weeks back, and new hatchlings being fed already. I used to watch "Springwatch" where this very subject was brought up. They had planned to show certain species nesting and breading, but had to suddenly redirect their format at other species as the original ones had already bred and fledged.

58 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Came out of the Ferry Inn at Horning the other week to be approached by this goose at speed. Scared me silly hence the action shot as I ran away! 

6EE9B143-B547-4F02-9327-EF7FD9147BEE.jpeg

That's what geese always look like when I come out of a pub! :12_slight_smile:

• Haha 2

I once walked through a field of geese to a remote house, when I arrived the owner asked me how I had got past his guard geese, they hadnt made a sound. I think as I just walked through as though I had a right to be there they just ignored me - I have never really had problems with geese.

18 hours ago, Lulu said:

Came out of the Ferry Inn at Horning the other week to be approached by this goose at speed. Scared me silly hence the action shot as I ran away! 

6EE9B143-B547-4F02-9327-EF7FD9147BEE.jpeg

15 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I wonder if The Ferry charges them mooring fees too 

It’s probably the goose that guards the moorings and collects the fees - you didn’t pay did you?!!

45 minutes ago, grendel said:

I once walked through a field of geese to a remote house, when I arrived the owner asked me how I had got past his guard geese, they hadnt made a sound. I think as I just walked through as though I had a right to be there they just ignored me - I have never really had problems with geese.

There must be a very simple reason for the geese letting you walk through the field, now I wonder what that might be.............:default_norty:

18 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

a lot of fish can spawn as early as the beginning of February, and as late as August, which makes a mockery of the closed season

Sounds like the closed season should be extended to cover 01 Feb - 31Aug ......

28 minutes ago, Paul said:

Sounds like the closed season should be extended to cover 01 Feb - 31Aug ......

Why not have a year round closed season in that case?. 

Whether people like it or not, fish will never spawn to a calender date, and will always do so to climatic conditions, they always have and always will, so why have a closed season full stop?. You could go to a river in mid April where the fish have spawned already, yet authority (that 9 times out of 10 does`nt actually know anything they`re talking about, but they have the correct university degrees etc) will say you are not allowed to fish there.