Car Talk

LondonRascal

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'm not much of car person. However if the tech wizzards can be believed the predictions for emissions charging won't come to fruition as autonomous vehicles will effectively render mass private car ownership a thing of the past. The choice people will make won't be "what car will I buy?" "But what service will I use?"

Wiki has an interesting article. Mobility_as_a_service

I wonder how the government/ council recoup the lost revenue... I can't see an autonomous vehicle getting a ticket. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see one of those doing my daily 120 mile round trip commute for the price it costs me at the moment, electric is out of the question as I could only just manage if there was a charging point at work (which there isnt) and as we are in an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere we arent even close to a town that might have one.

Where we live public transport is quick, efficient, cheap, readily available and simply the best I have ever seen or used. 

I don’t need a car here it’s our choice to have one. Even then I could use a red mobility shared car if I wanted. It’s our choice, any government that wants to remove that fundamental choice had better look long and hard first.

M

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

I'd like to see one of those doing my daily 120 mile round trip commute for the price it costs me at the moment,

Well it will have to make it cheaper or faster for it to work as a business. I guess.

You probably wouldn't pay per journey, you'd join your preferred service (VolvoCarShare.com).for instance, set level/ frequency of service you want and pay a monthly fee. All being well said vehicle will be waiting for you.... possibly with others inside depending on your chosen level of service. And off you go. No traffic jams. No signals, no drivers. All for a fraction of the cost, of owning/ maintaining/ insuring etc. You'll also likely be working on your laptop and so getting paid. This isn't some distant utopian dream we'll see  this in most of our lifetimes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Malanka said:

any government that wants to remove that fundamental choice had better look long and hard first.

M

Hi M, I don't think the government will remove that choice economics will. 

I'm jelous of your public transport choices! I don't do too badly in London as I can often add a bicycle into the mix which takes out some of the waiting around. 

Yeah Switzerland and public transport spoils us for choice.

My point earlier was economic development will drive the future not mandates from Brussels. So I agree with you but not anytime soon the technology is not mature enough.

I do have one question though. What are we going to do with all the diesel and petrol we get from crude from extracting the high value lubrication oils and volatile organics to make plastics? It’s not going to be used so what do we do with it??

lol

• Haha 1

We do both Grendel, depends which is cheaper. Leasing in UK is waaay more expensive than here. Both our lease deals are at rates less that 2%. In Uk it’s typically between 4 and 6%. You’re being ripped off.

Those companies borrow money from the same place we do but you get charged 6% and I get 1.8%. Quite a ridiculous figure for margin that simply cannot be justified as anything other than greed.

M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malanka said:

I do have one question though. What are we going to do with all the diesel and petrol we get from crude from extracting the high value lubrication oils and volatile organics to make plastics? It’s not going to be used so what do we do with it??

Probably use it to generate all that extra electricity we're going to need. :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

John you’re not wrong as that is what STORR is diesel generators to supply emergency leccy when a brownout happens due to unreliables. 

Really you couldn’t make it up, like converting a coal station sat on a coal mine with zero transport costs to use wood pellets imported from the US via road ship then road.... Face palm or what !!!

M

• Like 2

4 hours ago, scaniaman said:

HI Robin, there are four recalls on your vehicle  according to DVLA including an idler pulley which becomes detached and vehicles which are catching fire (see Daily Mail ) maybe worth a check to see they`ve been done 0800 777 109 ?

Paul 

Hi thanks for that info - I do have a whine from the engine, I suspect power steering pump because it gets worse when I move the wheel - but it is going to have some work done anyway. I am not spending out much though, so cheap and cheerful but might well see about MB have dealt with the recalls, they usually can tell by the VIN number. The X5 had an outstanding recall on the EGR Cooler but my one was found to be in great shape by Coopers and so without it showing any signs of problem won't replace for free

• Like 1

Looks very nice Robin , we have very fond memories of ours , if the grandchildren hadn’t have arrived we would still have had her .

one thing that always surprised us was how generous the boot was for a convertible , even when roof was lowered we managed to pack enough for a week afloat (without the groceries)

• Like 1

Sorry Robin, got that wrong what I should have said is all four recalls are for the BMW. The reason I mentioned the idler gear is because of your seized water pump .It could be linked to the idler pulley fault, in which case you might be able to recover the cost. The DVLA website gives some details in the car recall section or the telephone number I gave earlier is a BMW number and may be of help

Paul.

• Thanks 1

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:16, LondonRascal said:

Collected the SLK today, I won't go on in words here about it you can see the warts and all video tour here, for under £3,000 I am not complaing:

Also you will need to upgrade your hairdryer :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

So, finally got to put some miles one the SLK today - Heathrow to Wisbech then on to Norwich. Having done so I finally understand what all this talk of being a 'drivers car' is about.

First off this is a car produced to offer a certain experience. It is not a large four seater that happens to have a soft top, and it is not a fun runabout that lacks overall power but makes u for it being great in the corners (like an MX-5).  It really is trying to take you to the first step on the ladder of sports car ownership. 

Firstly I really believe everyone should at least experience open top motoring - even if it is a weekend rental, once in their life. It begins with the fact you are literally part of the entire experience of travel. You are very low down, so even a Ford Focus looks huge and you look up to them - this means you are much more aware of everything and everyone around you, you are in both feel and the literal sense more vulnerable.  Other road users giving a quick glance will not see you (happened a few times today) and I found now it is best to run with the dipped beam on to give me a bit more of a chance. You also hear everything, from the roar of tyres to the way straps holding loads on low loader lorries cause such a racket in the wind. Going through a tunnel on the M25 was a real hit for the sense as the noise was all around and incredible.  Then there is the smell, I am not just talking about the odd exhaust, but the distinct smell of hot rubber as you pass a laden HGV, to the different scents from different parts of the country - all this, everything you miss in any other car even with the windows down.

The other intoxicating thing about this car is the exhaust note - deep and low initially, then gets a bit more raw as the revs rise.  The car itself however makes you work. The steering is heavy, the brake pedal is heavy even the accelerator not only takes twice the effort to depress as the BMW but it has a lot more travel. Indeed it took me until today to figure out I had to move my seat a touch forward to be able to comfortable 'floor it'.  Once I had it brought a new smile to my face. Although the car is no slouch, and has no Turbo, above 4,000RPM it really 'takes off' and as you just can't help yourself and relish every slow down, so you can get on the loud pedal even if for a couple of blissful seconds for the lovely note of the exhaust.

But it is not without drawbacks, the seats are not the most comfy for longer cruising - they lack upper support at least for me, the cockpit while long is narrow. You want to bend you left leg and it hits the centre console and under the steering column.  But at the same time you do feel cocooned in the car, and everything is of a very high quality and soft to the touch.  Even though today was not exactly a summers day, with the windows up, air scarf on and heater set to speed 2 and 23c I was toasty in the cockpit with the top down. Would have been even better if the car still had its rear draft screen.

So got to my Mum's and Simon and her went out for a spin - he has come back going on about when he had a TVR and then an MX-5 and now..He has a RAV 4.  I suspect there is going to be some discussions between them about how it would make sense to get something like this again, great for a weekend break and some twisting country roads type thing...

I got set to making some improvements - like removing the broken rear boot emblem and putting a new one one, replacing both the rear indicator bulbs (too white for my liking) but the biggest thing was using some GummiPflege - this is a German made special grease - I think it is a Silicon base, but it comes in a small tube like a glue stick, has the consistency of Vaseline and is not that cheap for what you get.  However I have been told this is the best thing for rubber on the hard top seals - well any seals - and will stop the rattles, creaks and squeaks. Well, after a lot of patience working it in to the rubber I closed the roof and went for a spin - silence. No more creaks and squeaks and then took it through a car wash to see if there were any leaks I should know about, none at all.

So it might come as a surprise that I want to move on and sell the car already, but that is exactly what I plan to do...For another SLK..

The thing is I do rather like it, indeed I like it a lot. But there are things that need doing, and those things keep getting bigger - now if it was just one or two I am cool with that, but it is not and I would rather spend that money towards a less millage, slightly newer example than has not had 5 previous owners. It is due a service in 500 miles, and since the last one was a minor, this needs to be a major - and even if I took it to a cheap and cheerful place, the cheapest I have found is £216.00.

I've been in touch with a Mercedes independent in Loddon, found out what the whine is - no not the power steering pump, and highly unlikely to be an idler it is an AC Compressor that is on the way out, this is backed up too by a previous quote I have found in the service documentation from January 2018 where a number iof things were put right but at over £400.00 just for the compressor, the previous owner decided not to replace. The Air Conditioning works, but it is only a matter of time before the compressor gives up - either in a nice way, or in a bad way and takes out the belt like my BMW water pump did. 

On top of the service, the AC Compressor the blower motor bearings are shot - it sequels and rattles and struggles to get going - not a big thing really to replace, but another £200.00 odd for an aftermarket one, and the there is the MOT advisory last year for the badly scored and lipped front discs - and then they will need to new pads with the new discs..It all will add up to a fair whack without any labour charges being added in the mix.

So...I am considering getting the same model and engine size, but maybe one with the upgraded head unit that means I can connect a phone via Bluetooth that would be handy, and maybe a 2007-2009 model year with around 50,000 or so miles. I have seen some, indeed found a beautiful model being sold privately with only 24,000 miles and 1 owner. Thing is that one costs a lot more but looks fabulous. Of course there is nothing to say I don't get a younger lower millage car and it has its own problems - but I am just hopeful if that was the case, it would be a problem, not a few to deal with.

So, early days yet..I just hope nothing big happens especially with the AC Compressor in the next few weeks!

• Like 2

It begins with the fact you are literally part of the entire experience of travel. but with much improved all round vision  - this means you are much more aware of everything and everyone around you, you are in both feel and the literal sense more vulnerable.  Other road users giving a quick glance will not see you (happened a few times today) and I found now it is best to run with the dipped beam on to give me a bit more of a chance. You also hear everything, from the roar of tyres to the way straps holding loads on low loader lorries cause such a racket in the wind. Going through a tunnel on the M25 was a real hit for the sense as the noise was all around and incredible.  Then there is the smell, I am not just talking about the odd exhaust, but the distinct smell of hot rubber as you pass a laden HGV, to the different scents from different parts of the country - all this, everything you miss in any other car even with the windows down.

The other intoxicating thing about this car is the exhaust note - deep and low initially, then gets a bit more raw as the revs rise.  The car itself however makes you work. Twisting the go handle brings a new smile to my face. Although the car is no slouch, and has no Turbo, above 4,000RPM it really 'takes off' and as you just can't help yourself and relish every slow down, so you can get on the loud pedal even if for a couple of blissful seconds for the lovely note of the exhaust.

The above is just barely starting to scratch the surface of why us Bikers are addicted to riding powerful bikes,  But your description does make a stab at it.  Magnify it ten fold, then add in adrenalin on tap, add in grin factor, add in blisteringly impressive acceleration, (Most 'Big' bikes don't bother with a 0-60mph time we go for 0-100mph) top speed, braking, G force experience, getting your knee down (Or very close) catching the foot pegs, Reverse gyro steering effect, tipping it in and a whole lot more and you are getting close, even though my description is not doing it justice.  And I've not even mentioned those leather clad pillion lovelies   !! :default_norty:

Griff

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, scaniaman said:

Me again Robin why Not remove the Air Compressor drive belt so that you get rid of the noise (unless it has to drive other stuff) gets rid of the hum but you dont have the air con. Its only needed for five days a year anyway lol.

Paul

I have covered thousands of miles in two seaters of all types. We get lots of rain in this country and they suffer condensation badly. You really need the aircon dehumidifier on wet summer days.

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

It begins with the fact you are literally part of the entire experience of travel. but with much improved all round vision  - this means you are much more aware of everything and everyone around you, you are in both feel and the literal sense more vulnerable.  Other road users giving a quick glance will not see you (happened a few times today) and I found now it is best to run with the dipped beam on to give me a bit more of a chance. You also hear everything, from the roar of tyres to the way straps holding loads on low loader lorries cause such a racket in the wind. Going through a tunnel on the M25 was a real hit for the sense as the noise was all around and incredible.  Then there is the smell, I am not just talking about the odd exhaust, but the distinct smell of hot rubber as you pass a laden HGV, to the different scents from different parts of the country - all this, everything you miss in any other car even with the windows down.

The other intoxicating thing about this car is the exhaust note - deep and low initially, then gets a bit more raw as the revs rise.  The car itself however makes you work. Twisting the go handle brings a new smile to my face. Although the car is no slouch, and has no Turbo, above 4,000RPM it really 'takes off' and as you just can't help yourself and relish every slow down, so you can get on the loud pedal even if for a couple of blissful seconds for the lovely note of the exhaust.

The above is just barely starting to scratch the surface of why us Bikers are addicted to riding powerful bikes,  But your description does make a stab at it.  Magnify it ten fold, then add in adrenalin on tap, add in grin factor, add in blisteringly impressive acceleration, (Most 'Big' bikes don't bother with a 0-60mph time we go for 0-100mph) top speed, braking, G force experience, getting your knee down (Or very close) catching the foot pegs, Reverse gyro steering effect, tipping it in and a whole lot more and you are getting close, even though my description is not doing it justice.  And I've not even mentioned those leather clad pillion lovelies   !! :default_norty:

Griff

I have just ordered myself a second car (14 months away est.) A new small 4x4 for shooting and getting into some wilder places.

I was telling  a neighbour and he said he would never dream of buying a car with it's low 3 star ncap. I did laugh, this was from a gentleman older than my nearly 70 years, who on admittedly nice days only, rides an MV Agusta Brutale. 

• Like 1