Car Talk

LondonRascal

Despite my Dad always having bikes I had absolutely no interest until last year when the appeal suddenly hit at the age of 32, so time for you yet Rob! I done my CBT, Theory, Mod 1, Mod 2 Tests and got my license in May 2018. Like you I do not do things by halves and I’m now on my 5th bike! A Kawasaki Z900RS. I really enjoy riding but also enjoy looking at the pros and cons etc of all the different biking kit - leathers, textiles, helmets, gloves, luggage etc.

1CF5311F-1EA9-46F5-B707-F4A551ECAD18.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris1986 said:

Despite my Dad always having bikes I had absolutely no interest until last year when the appeal suddenly hit at the age of 32, so time for you yet Rob! I done my CBT, Theory, Mod 1, Mod 2 Tests and got my license in May 2018. Like you I do not do things by halves and I’m now on my 5th bike! A Kawasaki Z900RS. I really enjoy riding but also enjoy looking at the pros and cons etc of all the different biking kit - leathers, textiles, helmets, gloves, luggage etc.

1CF5311F-1EA9-46F5-B707-F4A551ECAD18.jpeg

Nice to see Kawasaki have re born the Z900 right down to the colour scheme. Sold both my old Z900 & the Z1000 last year.

A friend of mine has 3 originals, beautiful bikes. My bike gets so much attention, a lot of people ask what year it is... Thinking it’s 1970’s! People recall trips they had on originals in the 70’s & 80’s... People that have walked past my house for years and never spoke will stop and engage in conversation about the bike. Bikers are a friendly bunch.

3A6997A2-B3D4-48D0-9105-D9B010085E77.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris1986 said:

A friend of mine has 3 originals, beautiful bikes. My bike gets so much attention, a lot of people ask what year it is... Thinking it’s 1970’s! People recall trips they had on originals in the 70’s & 80’s... People that have walked past my house for years and never spoke will stop and engage in conversation about the bike. Bikers are a friendly bunch.

3A6997A2-B3D4-48D0-9105-D9B010085E77.jpeg

Nice looking bikes however the dye in the wool purists would argue with you on being original. It is funny how much people want to tell you their stories wether it be bikes, cars or boats.

Blimey! Apparently when asked why the new retro version doesnt have the original style pipes Kawasaki said because back in the day everyone changed them to 4 into 1 and to save weight. Seastars told me the 900RS was their biggest seller last year but I haven’t seen another one on the road yet. 

3 hours ago, oldgregg said:

This is a big deal 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47799998

Some other manufacturers are currently making very bad hybrids (especially a certain german brand) because of Toyota's foresight in patenting the best way of doing things a long time ago.

I'm not so sure it's that massive. Whilst it's true that Toyota stole the march on hybrid technology they have been overtaken in recent years, especially by Hyundai and Kia who share Hybrid technology which is well ahead of Toyota now. If anything this is Toyota trying to standardise hybrid technology to their own model.

Well the old and crappy below standard hybrid technology in our petrol Lexus delivers 50mpg from a 3.5lt V6. Even more round town. It also does 140mph where allowed and feels like a sofa driving along. Having driven both Kia and Hyundai models in the US for work trips I wouldn’t get your hopes up of them supplanting Toyota any time soon.

• Like 1

Sorry to steering things away from two wheels, back to four..But today I took an impromptu trip with my phone to record the cars sounds, transmission changes and general performance.  I think it all sounds and behaves fine, other than that relentless  whine of the AC Compressor (pretend it is a Supercharger lol)

I am now becoming concerned I have another issue with the X5, the steering. Having been assured by the garage it is normal, and what I had before was abnormally firm, I can't help but wonder if it is. It is simply so light my little finger can turn the wheel lock to lock with hardly any resistance whatsoever when stationary.

I mean there is light steering, but this is on another level and vastly different to how it felt prior to the water pump going. It does 'weight up' considerably at over 40MPH so there is some electronic goodness going on  and working but it just feels horrible and vague below this speed. Maybe it is just how it should be, but it has kind of ruined the driving experience and turning into side streets or out of them  is like learning all over again how much to turn the wheel and when.

Oh well all first world problems I guess.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Malanka said:

the old and crappy below standard hybrid technology in our petrol Lexus delivers 50mpg from a 3.5lt V6

I didn't realise it was quite that bad, I personally think Toyota Hybrid is quite good, just being caught up by other manufuacturers and according to most journalist's reviews overtaken by some. Still, it is always good to hear an owners opinion. Your figures do bear that out though. My 3.0 V6 Mercedes will do 155 (electronically limited), gets me to 60mph in around 6 seconds, returns 50mpg on the motorway (though not at 155!) and unlike your Lexus can tow a two tonne caravan, and is still LEV exempt, so I do see your point. 

You have got me thinking which Lexus you drive. I know the LS and LC 500 can push 150mph plus as can the GS450 but none of those will return 50mpg. My boss has a 2018 GS450h which averages 38 which I think is bang on what most websites suggest for that model. He's quite dissapointed with his, and was expecting better. Still, his previous car was a Tesla, so the only way is up!

1 hour ago, Pumpmedic said:

Go find another of the same year and "Test drive " it for a comparison.

Good idea..

I mean logically, it all makes sense. You have a water pump that is breaking down and causing a lot of load to be put on the belt to drive it long before it finally seized and took the belt out with it. When I had the car recovered I cannot remember though did the steering feel super light for that short period between water pump failing and belt breaking and me pulling over.  I do know once the car was recovered and I drove it the short distance to the Marina the steering feeling 'really light'. I accepted the cause was there was now no load on the engine from the Alternator, as it was this I thought had gone due to the charging system going down.

I therefore presumed once fixed, the load would be back on the engine and the steering would 'firm up' again. When I collected the car and found the steering was super light still I pulled over an called them - no I was told, what I have now is how the car should have been all along. Now the water pump was replaced, the added load the failing one was putting on the drive belt had gone so now the system could operate as it should. Super light at low speed and firmer at higher speed.  Sure enough it does get very much firmer at higher speed - previously it seemed to just stay 'firm' regardless of low speed or high.

I've done a google and found many F15 model owners unhappy at the super light steering compared to the previous generation X5. It clearly seems a 'thing'. My concern is since the steering on the car is electric and nor hydraulic, and since it is programmable between speeds, has something else gone wrong and mine has ended up being 'over boosted' and too light. If I give the same model as mine a spin and find it is the same as mine, all well and good - just need to accept it. If I find it is firmer as mine used to be, then what the hell is that going to mean - I will tell you, more pounds to be spent :34_rolling_eyes:

I suspect then it will turn out only a main dealer can sort out, and knowing the dealer in Norwich they will end up saying something like "its not showing any fault codes it must be just how it is meant to be". 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paul said:

I'm not so sure it's that massive. Whilst it's true that Toyota stole the march on hybrid technology they have been overtaken in recent years, especially by Hyundai and Kia who share Hybrid technology which is well ahead of Toyota now. If anything this is Toyota trying to standardise hybrid technology to their own model.

Have you looked at how the Kia / Hyundai system works? It's not quite as bad as the VW group implementation, but it also uses a DCT (VW group did not invent DSG, Borg Warner did) and is neither elegant or reliable.

The only advantage to their system is that it simulates old fashioned gearchanges better. That's not really a plus, it's just for people that can't embrace change.

Journalists would have no idea about what makes a well-engineered hybrid system, let's be honest. All they ever seem good at is talking about "high quality plastics" like they have any idea about material science.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Have you looked at how the Kia / Hyundai system works? It's not quite as bad as the VW group implementation, but it also uses a DCT (VW group did not invent DSG, Borg Warner did) and is neither elegant or reliable.

The only advantage to their system is that it simulates old fashioned gearchanges better. That's not really a plus, it's just for people that can't embrace change.

Journalists would have no idea about what makes a well-engineered hybrid system, let's be honest. All they ever seem good at is talking about "high quality plastics" like they have any idea about material science.

Yes, quite closely when I was looking at my last new car, and all of the awards the system has won, even before Toyotas huge recall last year damaged it's hybrid reputation. In the end I decided that if I went for a hybrid it would have to be the Volvo V60 diesel plug in even though that is not the greatest hybrid around. I would not want to give up the ability to tow, and along with the Mitsubishi PHEV it's one of the few hybrids with any kind of towing capability. In the end there was simply no valid argument for me in a hybrid over a straight diesel, at least for our main car. When the trusty old Honda finally pops it's clogs then it might be time to look again for our runabout.

As for volkswagen, I have never owned one and wouldn't touch one with a disinfected bargepole. Several family members have, both Polos and Passats all four cars concerned had problems, surprise surprise, with the gearbox. 

• Like 1

Hi Paul we have one hybrid, an RX450 f-sport which is limited to 140 mph. Our other car is Millie the beast which does 0-62 in 3.5 seconds and tops out aerodynamically at 195mph. The coupe does 200 but the cabriolet isn’t as slippery through the air. Millie is an f-type SVR. 5 liter V8 and 575 ps. 

We will be driving her to Norfolk at Easter via the A5, A61, and A81 in Germany all of which adds up to 485km of derestricted driving. Few things are more fun than flashing over huge 7 series BMWs in Germany. They hate it as they love their willie competitions. What they care about is what you drive and where you go on holiday, they couldn’t care less about houses. Quite different from the UK Switzerland or Belgium.

Happy motoring 

M

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Millie is an f-type SVR. 5 liter V8

to hell with all this talk of hybrids and VW's, lets stick to Millie. I am rather partial to the f-type in all it's guises. My dream car would probably be a Praga R1R, just because it's so insane, but would love an SVR convertible. The best I've had out of the merc with the roof down is 135, I dread to think what 190 with the top down would be like. It would probably rip my hair out, if I had any left.

9 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Few things are more fun than flashing over huge 7 series BMWs in Germany. They hate it as they love their willie competitions.

And well done for flying the flag (yeah, I know Jaguar hasn't really been British since Noah ran aground). I'm all for it!