Car Talk

LondonRascal

But would an electric bike get you going Griff without all the engine noise and traction issues? I can't imagine that ever being as much fun as a proper one - Agreed 100% Neither can I

I assume the tesla has to make a noise at low speed to keep pedestrians on their toes, spokey dokeys?

Nope - Its silent.  However when in reverse it emits a strange 'Whistling' sound, this is not the elec motors or the drive but a sound to make pedestrians aware that you are reversing

What is fun is the horn - It is programmable with dozens of options.  some of them proper funny, he sounded a few of them off there is a Ladies sarcastic voice saying - Well Really?' another ' I don't believe it' another - a genuine farting sound (Proper funny is that one)  another musical horns and many others, you can adjust the outside volume too

Whilst out on our drive I commented to him as we came out of our village that a car behind us was a bit close (We were crawling along at 15mph) he said he won't be in a moment, out of the 30mph restriction we crawled and it was like we had instantly engaged warp drive - Wow.  Captain Kirk would have been suitably impressed 

Griff

16 minutes ago, lurcher said:

looking at the 0 to 60 times of the Tesla,in the real world i recon it would be disappearing into the distance as i desperatly tried to get the front wheel of my old R1 back to the ground.

Speak for yourself - If I recall, my GSXR-1100 does 0-60 in 2.8 or so :446_bicyclist:

6 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

My Blackbird would do 0 to 100 in first gear in around 4 secs.  And top out at 185 mph. 

I've had mine up at 165mph a couple of times (legally before anyone says anything :default_cool:)

Once on the Isle of Man on the mountain, going away from Creg ny baa and once on a German autobahn, loaded with luggage.

Exhilarating to say the least !

Our god son works for mercedes in the development of electric motors, he is of the opinion that we are still ten years before they are a completely viable alternative, I think a lot depends on where you live, our boatyard have ordered an electric pick up, excellent idea for trips from the yard to the river, all on the flat. On the other hand where we live in the Peak District you can forget the manufacturers battery life predictions.

Looking at the average speed on my car computer, it would appear to be around 28mph, no matter where I seem to go, this also makes a mockery of riding big, daft fast motorbikes, my 1948 AJS is more than capable of keeping up that average and 100 mpg, seems to me we have made little progress since 1948.

Having said that, I still have a big, daft fast motorbike for those odd days when 28 mph just won't scratch the itch.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Ad Blue,  Yet another PITW (Pain in t wallet)

MrsG's Q5 needs top ups as does daughters Q7 and her partners huge Mercedes thing.  Fortunately the 'GriffTile'  Trevor Transit doesn't

Anyroadup my Farmer mate buys this stuff in about 1000 litres a go, currently priced at :56p per Litre.

Bro' reported today that he topped up with Ad Blue (Company vehicle) at a Shell garage (Others are of course available), price per Litre? £1:80  Wow -  they are probably buying the stuff in at around 50p per Litre.  That's some profit margin and yet another avenue to rip off motorists

Relieved that my 'GriffTile' van & 'B.A' don't need the stuff

Griff

Sigh, its' gets worse, I'm livid :default_smiley-angry047:

I was washing the 'GriffTile' van yesterday and I noticed that both front inner wheel arch liners were noted by their absence :default_jumelles:

Then I started doubting mysen - were they ever fitted?  but those delicate wiring looms, washer bottles / pumps etc look to too clean / new condition for them not to have been fitted

Called in at Fords this morning - Yes they were fitted from new to protect items mentioned above. Then the sales counter parts department guy said - Let me guess, they are no longer there?  Then they have been nicked mate - Its a common occurrence and you are not the first and won't be the last.  They are easily removed in about ten mins each side without removing a wheel if you know what you are doing.  Cost to replace - £288:00 plus around 2-3 Hrs of my time

The theft will have happened sometime since beginning of April and yesterday, either outside my hovel, the Wetshed or Shipyard at Lowestoft as makes no difference

I don't have the time available until next month, I can see me taking them to Germany and fitting them over there on Bro' in laws drive (If there is room to transport them int back of t van)

FFS - Where's my Browning?  :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Griff

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That is mad Griff - why on earth would someone want to nick your wheel arch liners ?

I know wheels can be nicked (from bitter experience), and catalytic converters, but where is the resale market for Transit wheel arch liners ?

The world is going bonkers ...

It is no consolation I know, but imagine the damage that you could have done if it were not nice dry weather and instead you were driving snow, ice and road salt grit up into those electricals.

5 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Seems highly likely or stole them to replaced damaged ones.  Whichever, I'm having to spend time and money, both of which currently are in short supply

Griff

A quick Google and nothing shows up as being a common occurrence and they seem reasonably cheap to buy on FleaBay. I would guess an unlucky one off. More than likely someone doing a cheap crash repair and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It strikes me that if someone is doing a moody repair on a van to sell, that a pair of dirty wheel arch liners are probably better than a pair of shiny new ones which would prompt the buyer to investigate further.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Typical - just checked my dashcam - it's gone faulty and not recorded anything for goodness knows how long.  Ball peen hammer here I come :default_pcwhack:

Tip - Never buy a 'Toguard' dashcam

Griff

Actually - it might not be the dashcam, it could just be the memory card that is faulty.

Memory cards, in fact all 'flash' memory including SSD drives, can only be written onto so many times before they fail. This life expectancy is often known as the 'total bytes written' capacity. Depending on the technical architecture, this can be anywhere between 1,000 and 100,000 read-write cycles.

For instance, a 480 GB SSD might only have a total bytes written life expectancy of 160 TB

So with a dashcam, you are continually recording and hence writing and overwriting the data, and eventually the card will fail.

If you look at the warranty on memory cards, it usually excludes their use in dashcams, CCTV and other continuous recording devices.

My advice would be change the memory card and see it the dashcam now works, then change the memory card every 3 months or so. But in between, take the card out periodically and try an watch some footage to see if all is OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1