Car Talk

LondonRascal

2 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Instead of CD's in a changer magazine, you have mp3 files (in folders) on a USB stick.

It allows you to have more than just 6 'discs' and as there aren't any moving parts they're more reliable.

You can't get them for all systems but this is the sort of thing.... https://www.xcarlink.co.uk/bmw-usb-sd-interface-business-radio-or-navigation-with-text-display-and-plug-and-play-harness-new.html

Griff can always ask the little un how to get tunes on to the stick I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well my Ultimate hair dressers car, a mark 4 MX5 2 litre remapped, has a cd player, sd card slot and usb player so what do I listen, to usually local radio!. 

The remapping raises the bhp to 240 and tyres to zero!

I still miss my TVR Tamora (remapped) 415 bhp of noise, in a car weighing less than a metric tonne, in the dry 0-100 in 7.8 seconds 0-60 2.9 seconds. These figures are from the 1st owner on the Nurembergring.

In the wet left it at home!

paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Well my Ultimate hair dressers car, a mark 4 MX5 2 litre remapped, has a cd player, sd card slot and usb player so what do I listen, to usually local radio!. 

The remapping raises the bhp to 240 and tyres to zero!

I still miss my TVR Tamora (remapped) 415 bhp of noise, in a car weighing less than a metric tonne, in the dry 0-100 in 7.8 seconds 0-60 2.9 seconds. These figures are from the 1st owner on the Nurembergring.

In the wet left it at home!

paul

Impressive 👍

All this advice re 'Upgrading' the sound system is all very well and good, however I'm looking forward to using the cassette player and the cd auto changer, I mean just how big a choice of tracks do we need?  It's not like were driving from Canada to south America!  I might consider it later on down the road

Anyroadup over the past few evenings and at t weekend I got the front braking components, cleaned, painted and serviceable items renewed - Pistons / seals / dust seals / Guide rubbers / Bleed Nipples

Got in early enough today to get the offside built back up, I'll get onto the nearside tomorrow, daylight and wx permitting.  Then of course a test drive will be compulsory to bed the lot in

On a much lighter note, our ex babysitter popped by whilst I was fettling the brakes, made a fuss of Purdey and was admiring Zebedee informing me that I just had to take her out for a spin sometime in nice wx.  I tried dissuading her by stating that it was compulsory for her to wear large sunglasses a head scarf and an illegally short skirt.  Her reply? My Mum might have some big sunglasses, I can borrow a headscarf too, Short skirt - No problem :default_icon_e_surprised:

Griff

BA NBN 1272.jpg

BA NBN 1273.jpg

BA NBN 1274.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Instead of CD's in a changer magazine, you have mp3 files (in folders) on a USB stick.

It allows you to have more than just 6 'discs' and as there aren't any moving parts they're more reliable.

You can't get them for all systems but this is the sort of thing.... https://www.xcarlink.co.uk/bmw-usb-sd-interface-business-radio-or-navigation-with-text-display-and-plug-and-play-harness-new.html

Sorry M8 

I am with Griff here.

Not a Scooby

and not interested 😥

Now if you had posted something that would make it go faster......😁

• Like 1

There is no replacement for displacement 🤪

Agreed whole heartedly

I do worry about my M8 Griff's obsession with making it stop.

Put simply as per earlier photo's the brakes were in a bit of a mess, plus I will be chauffeuring precious cargo (Grandsons and Purdey)

Go faster stuff? - As previously reported, done that, K&N induction kit, replace belt driven fan with electric version, those two combined have found me about ten extra horses.  Engine treated with ZX1 as will the Diff and G/box when I get round to changing the oils.   I could go for a remap but at £160 it will only gain me another 15 horses, need more advice and thinking time on this one

This is a weekend toy, not destined to be a track car, although I might just have to take it round Cadwell for a spin sometime

Griff

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Sorry M8 

I am with Griff here.

Not a Scooby

and not interested 😥

Now if you had posted something that would make it go faster......😁

I'd argue that what you want is less weight rather than more power.

Look at the Lotus Elise - They used to come with a 1.6 litre engine with 134hp, but they weighed less than a ton so reached 60 in 6 seconds and cornered like they were on rails. Didn't even have power steering and didn't need it. The steering actually feels light.

Try one with a bigger engine and you'd run out of talent long before you ran out of power.

• Like 2

That's the nearside front brake assembly back together. Bled the remaining original old brake fluid out of the system, confident we now have fresh DOT4 throughout. Went for the obligatory test drive and bedded the brakes in. Just love driving Zebedee - Its proper addictive.

The brakes and discs can partially be seen through the wheel spokes - Looks kinda good methinks. Brakes are performing just fine, better than before.  A bonus was curing a decent 'Heavy' rattle in the cabin, my lad was in the passenger seat, moved the seat back. After he had departed, the rattle had gone - Bargain 

There won't be any progress now for a few days as we are off to the smoke tomorrow morning for the weekend. Primarily to see War of The Worlds Immersive experience along with what ever other attractions / shows takes our fancy - This is gonna be expensive :default_icon_eek:

Next on the 'To Do' list will be examining / servicing the spare wheel and its carrier etc. That should be a freebie - We'll see

Griff

BA NBN 1275.jpg

BA NBN 1276.jpg

• Like 2

WOTW was one of the greatest concerts I have ever seen.

Missed the first incarnation but saw it at the O2 in the 2010's 

Ricky Wilson played The Artillery Man and Richard Burton appeared as a hologram.

There were some thin performances namely Jason Donovan but overall the experience was awesome.

We did not get the best seats around a third along on the right of the stage but when a war machine marched past us breathing fire that actually warmed up I distinctly remember saying " well you don't see that everyday" 

Like you Griff it was the soundtrack of my youth.

Enjoy 😁

• Like 1

The war of the worlds we are off to see isn't a concert but the immersive experience.  Live actors guide you through 24 interactive scenes enhanced with virtual reality and multi-sensory effects – all set to Jeff Wayne’s iconic score.  I've had four tickets since early Jan

Tyres - Zebedee came with four brand new uns.   Fronts are Goodyear 225/45/16.  Rears are Firestone Firehawk 245/40/17

The spare is a space save carried under the boot in a plastic carrier thing.  We will see what sort of a state that is in not to mention the release mechanism etc.  May get a chance Sunday afternoon if the Wx is ok

Griff

I thought some may be interested inthis article I found in an old Model Engineer from about 1956 or 57.

20230313_180701.thumb.jpg.94cfc0db617f5fc66b4b4ed87e38e271.jpg

How things change..

I've also just found an article on battery powered rechargeable railcars which were trialled between Aberdeen and Ballater with a charging point at each station, around the same time.

18 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Also good to see you have decent tyres on ZB 👍

It's one thing I will not compromise on. 

For Jaguar it's Pirelli or nothing.

Tried Yokohama on my first Jaguar and they almost killed me.😲

FF you won’t beat Michelin. Best tyre on the market always have and always will be . You won’t beat their secret recipe in there tyre technology. 

Funny you say that about Yokohamas a set I had on my Old SD1 Vitesse nearly killed me when I wrapped it around a lovely old oak tree.. They had  lost their grip and died. It had the silly tread pattern of dots on the outer quarter of the the tyre. Even rotational at the time. I was going to Change them when I got the car as I had a set brand new Avon CR228s Blue Orange compounds sat in the garage. Wish I did now as I loved that car 😢

27 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

you won’t beat Michelin. Best tyre on the market always have and always will be .

26 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

have to disagree with you. back in the day the old michelin  x was terrible in the wet,  even when working for michelin and having the chance of free tyres supplied still preferred goodyear and bought same

1 hour ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

FF you won’t beat Michelin. Best tyre on the market always have and always will be . You won’t beat their secret recipe in there tyre technology. 

Funny you say that about Yokohamas a set I had on my Old SD1 Vitesse nearly killed me when I wrapped it around a lovely old oak tree.. They had  lost their grip and died. It had the silly tread pattern of dots on the outer quarter of the the tyre. Even rotational at the time. I was going to Change them when I got the car as I had a set brand new Avon CR228s Blue Orange compounds sat in the garage. Wish I did now as I loved that car 😢

I had Yokos on my old Primera eGT and they were brilliant - stuck to the road like glue, but only lasted about 7000 miles.  I’ve been using Goodyear F1 Asymmetric for quite a long time and find they are very good.  They suit my car, last quite well and aren’t extortionately expensive.

To be fair, tyre choice is a very personal thing, I think.  I won’t buy cheap Chinese tyres, or part worns.  You never know how many kerbs they’ve been bumped up and down and whether the structure of the tyre is damaged.

2 hours ago, unclemike said:

have to disagree with you. back in the day the old michelin  x was terrible in the wet,  even when working for michelin and having the chance of free tyres supplied still preferred goodyear and bought same

Blimey im quite shocked you saying that. I don’t know how far you’re going back with that.  I was in tyre testing for Avon Tyres  in the late 80s to 94 and the Michelins use to come out on top on all tests. We use to do with all the other Tyre manufacturers it use to be swings and roundabouts with the other tyre manufacturers good in dry terrible in wet. Norway was the best test for artic testing had some great fun out there in a MG maestro turbo at the time.

Michelin Truck Tyres well that’s another top secret story. No other tyre manufacturer can match the magical of retreading a case up to 3 times and sometimes even 4 times that’s the French for you .

You was so  lucky to get free tyres we was only aloud 20% discount off of ours if we bought them. In one case I had a friend at ATS he could get 20% off so he would get mine cheaper then I would get a further 20% off and basically I was getting the tyres cheaper than what it was to manufacture at the time 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I had Yokos on my old Primera eGT and they were brilliant - stuck to the road like glue, but only lasted about 7000 miles.  I’ve been using Goodyear F1 Asymmetric for quite a long time and find they are very good.  They suit my car, last quite well and aren’t extortionately expensive.

To be fair, tyre choice is a very personal thing, I think.  I won’t buy cheap Chinese tyres, or part worns.  You never know how many kerbs they’ve been bumped up and down and whether the structure of the tyre is damaged.

I think those yokos I had must of had 7001 miles on them Mouldy that’s why I crashed 🤣🤣

Tyres have come a long way since the days when the main choice was radial or cross-ply. With the difference in the performance of cars and especially the wheel sizes on offer matching the right tyre profile to your car is vital. There are a huge number of different rubber compounds used to give tyres different properties, depending if you want to get a Dacia Duster from A to B or your pride and joy around the Nordschleife. The best tyres are no longer made in Europe but in the Far East, especially in Japan and yes, sorry to upset you purists, China.

8 hours ago, Paul said:

Tyres have come a long way since the days when the main choice was radial or cross-ply. With the difference in the performance of cars and especially the wheel sizes on offer matching the right tyre profile to your car is vital. There are a huge number of different rubber compounds used to give tyres different properties, depending if you want to get a Dacia Duster from A to B or your pride and joy around the Nordschleife. The best tyres are no longer made in Europe but in the Far East, especially in Japan and yes, sorry to upset you purists, China.

It’s true that several manufacturers from the far east are now supplying tyres to the west, whose performance closely matches the best of the established brands.  Kumho and Hankook are based in South Korea and Toyo and Yokohama come from Japan.

Several of the best known tyre companies also have factories in China - Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli to name but three, however there are still far too many Chinese tyre brands of questionable quality, without the technology to produce tyre compounds to match the leading brands.  The tyre comparison tests show some of these to have poor road holding and abyssal braking performance, especially in the wet.

Even a Dacia Duster is more than capable of exceeding the UK speed limit and it is frightening to think that the car that is approaching you far too fast in poor weather conditions could be driving on tyres that take twice as far to stop in the wet as yours.

Sadly, the fact that there are just four relatively small contact patches keeping folk from very dangerous situations is forgotten by far too many people, who place cost over safety when choosing tyres.  The vast majority of inferior quality tyres on the market in the UK are supplied from Chinese factories.