Keep Your Eyes Open, Please

OldBerkshireBoy

Hi all, After scouring websites and marinas for two months I thought I had my first boat  :default_eusa_dance: only to be outbid or undone by some underhand nonsense by the broker :default_2gunsfiring_v1: so can I ask you all to keep your eyes open for anything that has a single engine, is around 35-37ft in length with low airdraft, easy to get on and off with minimal steps inside. Don`t mind travelling to view so wherever you are in the country please keep your eyes open.

Finders fee offered and thanks in advance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Recently I have noticed that Summercraft have been selling off by craft from their hire fleet , it may we’ll be worth ringing them to see if they have anything suitable for you , if you can get past the blue and yellow colour scheme you would be hard tasked to find better maintained and cared for boats.

That's not a bad shout, and they refuse to sell them in those colours, so it's not as bad as you'd think.

Usually the yellow gets painted white so you're left with a blue which isn't too bad on its own.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

Hi all, After scouring websites and marinas for two months I thought I had my first boat  :default_eusa_dance: only to be outbid or undone by some underhand nonsense by the broker :default_2gunsfiring_v1: so can I ask you all to keep your eyes open for anything that has a single engine, is around 35-37ft in length with low airdraft, easy to get on and off with minimal steps inside. Don`t mind travelling to view so wherever you are in the country please keep your eyes open.

Finders fee offered and thanks in advance.

Waterside marine have a good selection of Alphas ,single engine and low air draft.How many berths are you looking for?

13 minutes ago, Aboattime said:

Waterside marine have a good selection of Alphas ,single engine and low air draft.How many berths are you looking for?

Thanks, just had another look and nothing new there today. Find them generally overpriced for what they are, as an example the Alpha 35 has a major roof problem (been dragging an experianced person around with me to viewings) and their customer service re "It`s in the workshop at the moment, I`ll get back to you" needs some improvement.

Ideally 4 berth.

Probably a bit too small , and pictures are confusing as I’m sure the pics showing purple interior are from the former Ludham Bridge hire boats and not the one being offered for sale 

https://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/used-boats/sheerline-24-brink-of-peace-2-608.asp

also may be fruitful if you contacted Faircraft Loynes as they also have been selling some of their fleet (both Diplomat class for example to Richardson’s)

Chances are anything ex hire split level with a sliding roof could well have come to grief with a bridge at one time or another.  

We looked at the Alpha 35 when we decided to buy years ago and of the few we saw at the time the sliding portion of the roof had been previously damaged on most of them, one was so far bent out of shape you could have got your arm  through a gap on one side, another had been fished out of the Bure by  Wroxham Bridge, worrying stuff when you are a prospective purchaser.

When the lottery comes up (ha ha) a centre steer Alpha 35 (or even better the rare 32) would certainly be on my short list as would any Alphacraft. But like everything its always best to get the advice of an expert if you are in doubt. There is a design flaw with the centre steer Alphas in that the canopy is not a good fit and compounded by problems with the double cable arrangement which raises and lowers the canopy. However when properly maintained and set up they shouldn't cause any problem.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

When the lottery comes up (ha ha) a centre steer Alpha 35 (or even better the rare 32) would certainly be on my short list as would any Alphacraft. But like everything its always best to get the advice of an expert if you are in doubt. There is a design flaw with the centre steer Alphas in that the canopy is not a good fit and compounded by problems with the double cable arrangement which raises and lowers the canopy. However when properly maintained and set up they shouldn't cause any problem.

On our Alpha 32 the sliding roof is a good fit and the electric switch makes the lowering etc really effortless,never had any problems.