Riverside Restaurant Norwich

Hylander

If it goes then NR will be happy as that will be the last reason they need a lifting rail bridge for. If they had half a brain it would be worth them buying it and scraping it. 

Im not in favour of losing lifting bridges, but the only time the rail bridge will lift is 3am on a Sunday morning if you book it 2 yrs in advance (ok I made the last bit up), but even if you get past that and the other lifting bridges you wont get to the yacht station. So it’s turn back round time. 

• Like 1

The big problem is where will it go to be successful again?. It`s pointless taking it to Brundall, or anywhere else on the Yare, as access and parking in most areas is mostly non existant. It can`t get under Gt Yarmouth bridges, and is probably too big  to go up the Chet, so that leaves the Waveney, again with little access for vehicles and parking, except for Beccles and Oulton Broad?. I think the only thing to do is to take the top off it, and build a houseboat out of it.

Although I agree that in some ways it is sad to see its demise ,I also wonder why any businessman or woman would find it a sensible project , Norwich City currently has many A3 premises available for rent in good footfall areas where the overheads I would presume are equivalent or possibly lower than a decaying floating boat.

I can see potential for a floating restaurant on something such as Southern Comfort which could cruise the rivers whilst serving a good quality fixed menu .

• Like 1

Live aboard HbMo, Houseboat in multiple occupation, perhaps, a first for Norwich if not the Uk or world even. As offices and retail properties have migrated to homes and schools Norwich is fast becoming more metropolitan and its only a matter of time before land based opportunities shrink and water based ones swell...

15 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Live aboard HbMo, Houseboat in multiple occupation, perhaps, a first for Norwich if not the Uk or world even. As offices and retail properties have migrated to homes and schools Norwich is fast becoming more metropolitan and its only a matter of time before land based opportunities shrink and water based ones swell...

I saw a hotel (I think they called it a Flotel) in Rotterdam last year and it was an interesting idea, there are quite a few of them on the IJ in Amsterdam as well.

Norwich, though? I don't know that it'd work - And especially when there's a Premier Inn right opposite.

There's probably some life left in it, but perhaps Norwich is no longer the place for it.

Ok Gregg, how about a little prison ship, it would take the pressure of the cells in Bethal Street maybe and shorten the journey when the bars spill out on what was once labelled the most dangerous street in a Britain, aka Prince of Wales Rhode, and ruffians are plucked out of the war zone. A night afloat with a few rats to boot might sober them up by the morning?