Burgh Castle Moorings

vanessan

16 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

Shame they are bit vague about when it can be used as a mooring. 

Just remember when they closed it looked like no hope of them being available for mooring again, at least now we know that they will reopen probably not this season but hopefully next, so if coming from the north towards Beccles we will have to a hang a right and use the Bernie arms mooring instead, hey ho such is life.

1 hour ago, Baitrunner said:

Shame they are bit vague about when it can be used as a mooring. 

It has to go to the Planning Committee first for approval. I see the works are estimated to take around 6/8 weeks so, in theory, they could well be ready for use by the school summer holidays. Being Norfolk, it will probably take a lot longer but at least it’s something a bit more positive for a change.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Was mentioned on the other place , JP stated that The BA were awaiting such a time that cash was available to re instate them ; it seems the purchase of Acle has swallowed most of the current budget 

They could always put the tolls up a bit....

:default_icon_twisted:

I'd like to think, there will be a positive outcome. I always enjoyed the wander around the Roman walls and the view across the marshes. An early morning walk, would usually mean you see hares on the meadows, around the walls and Marsh Harriers could always be seen above the marsh, below the castle walls. I lived just off Butt Lane, for a short time in the late seventies/early eighties and a Broads holiday wouldn't be the same without a visit...

1 minute ago, vanessan said:

That’s very sad, where did you hear that? Is it gospel?

From within, at a recent consultation.. As I understand it, since the EA pulled out, the BA has priced up the job but can't negotiate a sufficiently long lease to justify the cost. They aren't giving up hope hence they proceeded with the application. So yes, it is gospel but that is not to say that things won't change. 

17 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

From within, at a recent consultation.. As I understand it, since the EA pulled out, the BA has priced up the job but can't negotiate a sufficiently long lease to justify the cost. They aren't giving up hope hence they proceeded with the application. So yes, it is gospel but that is not to say that things won't change. 

:default_sad: is all I can add to that. Thanks for the ‘inside’ information. 

My guess is it may well revolve around the cost of maintenance of the piling which here would probably be steel - so I wonder who does own it and ultimately wants it back? If it is the EA why on earth do they want it back? Or are they just the current Lessee?

I think this epitomises the problem the BA has over its moorings and the cost of finding new ones - here we have the edge of a virtual salt marsh which I see as having nil, or virtually nil value. Clearly I have missed something!

Lets hope they continue to show some patience and ultimately resolve something.

• Like 4

Hope I am not repeating anything said before, but,  years ago I can recall mooring at a very smart new mooring at Bure Castle which had been paid for by the European Fund. (circa 1990)  Cannot recall the correct name.   The reason for knowing this,  there was a huge sign there saying so.   For many many years this was used by us all and remains in my opinion a very important safe mooring spot.

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

which had been paid for by the European Fund. (circa 1990)  Cannot recall the correct name.

Was that the "sod off we don't like you any more fund"  or the "cough up yer £39million and clear out fund"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Was that the "sod off we don't like you any more fund"  or the "cough up yer £39million and clear out fund"?

Did you actually receive a giant wooden spoon for Christmas Smoggy,  if not ,  we will make sure you receive one for Easter.   :default_biggrin:

Well on a serious note.      The amount of money paid to Tolls that is mismanaged this mooring could easily be resurrected.   The trouble is it was left too long.

25 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Well on a serious note.      The amount of money paid to Tolls that is mismanaged this mooring could easily be resurrected.   The trouble is it was left too long.

There is no doubt that navigation money has been misappropriated but should the Acle Debacle not go ahead, quite likely, then perhaps it will be returned to the navigation account. We can only hope!

3 hours ago, Hylander said:

The amount of money paid to Tolls that is mismanaged

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

There is no doubt that navigation money has been misappropriated

Can anyone tell me where/how/when navigation/toll money has been mismanaged/misappropriated in recent years? I ask as I am a toll payer and would really like to know to where my money is redirected. If there is firm evidence of ‘misappropriation’, why hasn’t the matter been raised with the BA? If it has, would you please tell me where I could find the details.

I would imagine anyone making an accusation of missappropriation of funds, would have very good evidence to back their claim. If they didn't, I would assume they have very deep pockets...

1 hour ago, kingfisher666 said:

I would imagine anyone making an accusation of missappropriation of funds, would have very good evidence to back their claim. If they didn't, I would assume they have very deep pockets...

1 hour ago, kingfisher666 said:

And you can hold the spoon for the next 6 months.