Roadworks 2019 ?

RumPunch

Not seen a new thread for this year ( mods ? )

Anyway, the river bridge in Wroxham will be down to one lane / light controlled from 17 march to 7 April. Going to mean some long delays in peak hours ! Fixing the wall and bridge support plate welding ( will that affect river traffic I wonder ? )

• Thanks 1

Is that road down to Bells even properly surfaced?  I think it will be a nightmare, will the trains still be running during the works?

I cant understand how Network Rail are continually allowed to cause so much disruption they are a nuisance. 

The Wroxham one is also madness

Thanks for the map.

Luckily for us we have a chalet booked 15th to 22nd of March and have to be home for things on the 23rd so we may miss it all.

Then again they are supposed to have done it last year and the year before was planned at one time.

paul

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok folks the road works at Hoveton bridge are back in full swing with concrete barriers where the men are working on the bridge outside the "liberty".

For added fun the A149 between Staham tescos roundabout and the entrance to Stalham staithe  by Richardsons is also under traffic light control as it's being resurfaced.

Having picked up the warnings about the traffic through Wroxham we are planning on approaching Stalham from the other direction via Acle when we come up to Richardson’s.  Was planning on lunch at the Wayford Bridge Inn but am guessing that would mean getting past the resurfacing .... twice? Alternative lunch plans now being considered for our journey. 

The problem with Wroxham bridge being light controlled is if you are coming from Stalham direction, then you get stopped at the Roys crossing, traffic fills the gap to the bridge lights from the back road and you don't move - I sat 2nd back from the crossing for 4 light changes yesterday without moving

At the moment I'm going via Coltishall, to avoid the Hoveton  bridge.

The road works for BT north of Wayford bridge have gone.

Not quite in the area But Fifers lane  where it hits St Faiths road, is being dug up for gas works from APR 1st..

The gas works at the north end of Hoveton have gone, the road works at Stalham to Richardsons have not been a problem so far, but this morning I notice they marked up the piece at the junction of the road that goes past Tescos. That will mean 3 way lights and  more complicated work..

I think I'll be turning off earlier at Stepping stone lane.

Also this morning the road into Stalham at the other end near the post office, is covered with sand over a fuel  / oil spill.. someone didn't get it right and met in the middle...

The trouble with the Bridge is that despite going over several times, without I hasten to add a lot of trouble, I have yet to see anyone working at all. OK the traffic light company are doing a good job ,as best they can, by operating the lights manually and are clearing long backlogs in one hit, but where are the workmen?

OK I know really - having p***ed everyone off, they will appear at the last minute and finding that they do not have time to do it, they will have to extend it!! Whats really gone wrong with roadworks is that do not charge the contractors enough to close the road, and as a result there is no incentive to just get on and do it. Something like Wroxham Bridge where there is potential for maximum disruption the cost should be £5/10k per day, not merely a nominal figure.

you just try doing roadworks in london, no such thing as extensions and on some red routes the charges are £2500 per lane per day, with only one lane at a time allowed to be closed, we had one proposal where we would have had to cross 6 lanes, go straight along a lane in front of marble arch, then cross 6 more lanes, we ended up going around 3 sides of an adjacent building to get that one completed.

there are huge fines for any defects / and or issues, the wind blows your cones over - instant fine if its spotted, before you are even given time to fix it. most work is done on a 7 day notice, and has to be finished by day 7