An Expensive Weekend.

48 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Just arranged a loan,will get our boiler done ASAP,plus some other bits.In the hope of moving to Norfolk in a few years time.

You need a loan if you got people I got a quote from, wanted £1700 for fitting and that is to existing pipe work.

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 07:41, Maxwellian said:

If you spec correctly you should not have a problem. Specing properly may of course tell you a combi will not suit your requirements, but fit mine perfectly 

That's the problem, too many so called heating engineers are fitting combi boilers that are not suitable for the premises and simply running off with the money. When you have 15mm pipe running throughout the property, 2 showers, a bath, washing machine, dishwasher and a basic family of 4 to severely drop pressure in this type of hot water system, I can see how a person of one with a single shower wouldn't have any problems!:default_icon_rolleyes:

• Like 2

Thanks you lot.

Our Baxi combi Boiler is progressively going on the blink

That's you lot tempting fate is that

It went t1ts up over the Christmas period, fault code said low gas pressure - No it wasn't.  After some research it was one of two sensors, I removed them both cleaned them up and all has been fine since - Till recently.  I now find myself having to pop up our loft every morning and once again early evening to bring the falling pressure back up.  Either the expansion tank has failed or it's a non-return valve playing up.  I suspect it's the expansion tank.  I will fault find this coming Saturday then get the relevant part ordered.

I could do without this I can tell you

Griff

Griff make sure you are sat down for the price if you need a new pressure vessel- I have just fitted one in my daughters boiler it was quite a shock price wise .

my last boiler was a Worcester 24i which we had for around 21 years - I never had I serviced .i used to have a look through the burner window to see if the flame was nice and blue otherwise was told to leave it well alone and do its thing which is what I did apart from recharging the pressure vessel a few times .anyway after 21 years the mother board gave up and when the wife's brother who is a gas safe registered fitter looked it over it was decided to completely replace the boiler based on cost effectiveness.i replaced almost like for like and bought a new Worcester 24 green star but this time we had a filter fitted and because the brother in law is a worcester approved fitter we managed to get the warranty extended from 5 to 7 years ( providing I have it serviced annually) it's pretty good on gas also my bills have reduced and if I was every lucky enough to be given another chance at life the I would come back as a central heating engineer - it's. License to print money for what they charge 

finny

• Like 1

On 13/03/2019 at 23:57, BroadAmbition said:

Thanks you lot.

Our Baxi combi Boiler is progressively going on the blink

That's you lot tempting fate is that

It went t1ts up over the Christmas period, fault code said low gas pressure - No it wasn't.  After some research it was one of two sensors, I removed them both cleaned them up and all has been fine since - Till recently.  I now find myself having to pop up our loft every morning and once again early evening to bring the falling pressure back up.  Either the expansion tank has failed or it's a non-return valve playing up.  I suspect it's the expansion tank.  I will fault find this coming Saturday then get the relevant part ordered.

I could do without this I can tell you

Griff

Check the prv isn`t letting bye, if it`s been activated recently sometimes they don`t reseat properly. Plastic bag tied over the pipe will show up a leak.

• Thanks 1

Pumpmedic - The water leak is showing itsen on the outside of the house via the 15mm small copper pipe, as I understand it this is the outlet for the expansion tank?

I aim to get up our loft and have a proper look see tomorrow late afternoon if all pans out sufficiently well.  I have a kitchen wall tiling job to complete in t next village, then various items to attend to at my Lads in another village - Get them done and hopefully have a look at our boiler.

Griff

2 hours ago, finny said:

Griff make sure you are sat down for the price if you need a new pressure vessel- I have just fitted one in my daughters boiler it was quite a shock price wise .

if I was every lucky enough to be given another chance at life the I would come back as a central heating engineer - it's. License to print money for what they charge 

finny

That's your problem, expansion vessels aren't that expensive, I have come across heating engineers who not only inflate their call out charge, but charge 200% on materials!:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

"We have Ignition"'

I went fault finding on our Baxi Boiler in t loft this afternoon.  I knew from the symptoms that it was either a faulty PRV, faulty expansion tank bladder, or low air pressure in the expansion tank.

Tested PRV - Fine and dandy.  Onto the expansion tank.  The valve is situated in an awkward spot which meant removing a bracket to get to the valve.  Even then not easy, depressed the pin in the valve to hear a small amount of air coming out but no water - Yippeeeee.  Released pressure in the system to zero via the PRV,  brought the expansion tank up to one bar.  Re-pressurised the system, checked for leaks - None, bracket and covers back on and it is humming away like a gudden.  Cost?  -  Nowt, diddly squat.  Of course I won't really know if it is a proper fix until the morning, that is after the central heating has been on this evening, cooled down overnight and fired itsen up in the morning.  Fingers crossed

Griff

The expansion tank had very little air in it and not much room for the water to expand as it heated up so it was exiting via the prv.  Now we have the correct amount of air/pressure in the expansion tank there should be room for the expanded hot water so the prv doesn't open, therefore no leak of water outside - Does that sound correct?

I just might change the prv as a matter of course, once I've priced them up

Griff

The prv is dripping but managing to hold enough pressure for showers and the heating is ok for now.  £8:50 delivered for a new one.  At that price it ain't worth mucking about stripping the present unit, besides the spring by now is bound to be tired.  Whilst I was having a search round I found that a new expansion tank can be had delivered for just under £40:00.  I'm not planning on changing that but at least I can get one for sensible money should the need arise 

Griff

I drained the system down before checking the expansion tank then re-pressuring and yes it was cold.  Having researched this boiler I am informed the prv's get weak and start to drip after some years.  So as well as the expansion vessel needing pressurising up the prv is tired too.  Once the new prv arrives, after fitting I will report back.  All is to the good at the moment with hot water on demand and a warm house so MrsG happy

Griff

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BroadAmbition said:

'My' plumber is out of sorts lately So I may be needing someone that I can recommend to my clients but he MUST be reliable.  Is he local to Donny?

Griff

That`s funny because jon has been off work for a few weeks after putting his back out, your man isn`t called jon by any chance?

I`ll have to ask exactly where he lives tbh.

Check the reading on the pressure  gauge when the prv. Is dripping. If the reading is not in the red(below about 3 bar) then it will be the prv. If it is in the red and you have represurized the expansion vessel then the vessel will need replacing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/03/2019 at 19:25, KaptinKev said:

That's your problem, expansion vessels aren't that expensive, I have come across heating engineers who not only inflate their call out charge, but charge 200% on materials!:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

It was for a older Worcester which I bought from plumb centre with my brother in law discount - still came in over a hundred quids .......I guess it depends on make and model 

finny

I had much the same issue on my old system.

PRV leakage was a symptom of the expansion vessel diaphragm having perished so when the water heated up there wasn't sufficient room for the expansion and the system vented itself.

Cost was about £50 for a new expansion vessel and replacement PRV. As others have said, once they start opening they don't reseat well.

Looking inside the old expansion vessel afterwards, there was nothing left of the diaphragm.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1