An Expensive Weekend.

Just now, hazelgirl said:

Thanks for the tip, I will pass on to him who will never be obeyed so he can check it out tonight, I get what you are saying about the "middle aged independent guy" but we really struggle in our area to find honest reliable trades people, it's not just plumbers, it's any trade.

It is terribly annoying when you take a day off work and wait in for nobody to turn up, my mum has had 3 different plumbers over the past few years and none of been reliable where time keeping and getting hold of them was concerned. 

Fully understand what you say, best you can do is talk to family (maybe not in this case lol), neighbours, work colleagues, people at the gym, bus stop etc. Probably best if I don`t go into details but I will not use web sites that claim to have have checked your trader or offer local only buildersmy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

Fully understand what you say, best you can do is talk to family (maybe not in this case lol), neighbours, work colleagues, people at the gym, bus stop etc. Probably best if I don`t go into details but I will not use web sites that claim to have have checked your trader or offer local only buildersmy.

We have since had confirmation that no money will be taken until an engineer has been so that's fair enough I guess, will have a look for a gauge tonight but there isn't one that's completely visible, this is a conventional boiler btw with a water tank.

1 minute ago, hazelgirl said:

We have since had confirmation that no money will be taken until an engineer has been so that's fair enough I guess, will have a look for a gauge tonight but there isn't one that's completely visible, this is a conventional boiler btw with a water tank.

Ah, forget the pressure gauge then. Did you pay the last gas bill? :default_biggrin:

17 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

Ah, forget the pressure gauge then. Did you pay the last gas bill? :default_biggrin:

No idea hahaha but the gas hob works so I guess we did  :default_norty: 

Our water pressure is extremely low where we live to the point that if someone flushes their loo while you are in the shower you have to brace for a scalding or a freezing lol, are Combination boilers very sensitive to that, will it take me 3 hours to run a bath?????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hazelgirl said:

No idea hahaha but the gas hob works so I guess we did  :default_norty: 

Our water pressure is extremely low where we live to the point that if someone flushes their loo while you are in the shower you have to brace for a scalding or a freezing lol, are Combination boilers very sensitive to that, will it take me 3 hours to run a bath?????

Combi boilers can be sensitive to that and as much as possible should be matched to the water pressure & flow (One size does not suit all). Re the bath, again it is about how much water flows through the boiler and time taken to heat it, that said there are different types of set ups and combi boilers so without being eyes on I can`t comment, going to suggest the gauge hunt again as you mentioned combi again.

4 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

Combi boilers can be sensitive to that and as much as possible should be matched to the water pressure & flow (One size does not suit all). Re the bath, again it is about how much water flows through the boiler and time taken to heat it, that said there are different types of set ups and combi boilers so without being eyes on I can`t comment, going to suggest the gauge hunt again as you mentioned combi again.

Ok that's fine, will go on the gauge hunt tonight, it's definitely isn't a combi though, or at least I don't think it is, we wouldn't have a water take if it was a combi would we?  

2 minutes ago, hazelgirl said:

Ok that's fine, will go on the gauge hunt tonight, it's definitely isn't a combi though, or at least I don't think it is, we wouldn't have a water take if it was a combi would we?  

It is becoming confusing because you said water tank then combi boiler and problems with hot/ cold shower plus asking about running a bath.

If I may, google the make & model of the boiler when you get home you may even find info you can follow up on.

• Haha 1

I have a water tank on mine (in the airing cupboard) and next to it is a red bottle thing, the gauge is on the bottle thing. there should be a section of removable pipe next to the bottle thing, you connect this up and turn the taps on each end to pressure up the system. the systems tend to lose pressure if you bleed the radiators. the last time I had a problem with my central heating it was the tap on this system, the rubber valve came away inside the tap and stopped me shutting it off

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grendel said:

I have a water tank on mine (in the airing cupboard) and next to it is a red bottle thing, the gauge is on the bottle thing. there should be a section of removable pipe next to the bottle thing, you connect this up and turn the taps on each end to pressure up the system. the systems tend to lose pressure if you bleed the radiators. the last time I had a problem with my central heating it was the tap on this system, the rubber valve came away inside the tap and stopped me shutting it off

Red bottle thing is the expansion tank, removable pipe is Silver braided flexi and you fully open one valve and slowly open the other until pressure gauge is at correct pressure then close valves and remove pipe although people often don`t remove. If pressure is greater than desired then bleed a radiator to reduce pressure. Generally 0.9 bar at cold and 1.5 at hot but can vary from boiler to boiler.

Oh this is all very technical hahaha have done some screen shotting and fingers crossed we can do some investigative work tonight. 

I think it's only been about 12 months since we had one of "that companies" super dooper expensive clean flushes on the system, always had issues with the heating and hot water system in that house, not been the boiler before though. Currently our emersion heater isn't working but we have the bits to fix that ourselves.

Oh and I'm being told that bottle, pipe and taps set up is for a closed system and ours is open, if that means anything to you lol means nothing to me but just spied an email come through from hubby.

Now that is a comfort to know that we are not alone in our bungalow as far as water pressure is concerned.    Cold water is really good but the hot , well there is another story.    We have a bath (which I wont part with) but to fill it takes forever and the water is getting cold by the time you get in.      The electric shower Aqualux is really good.         In the kitchen if I put the hot tap on ,  I can get on with something else before it comes through hot.    Think it must come the long route.   Have considered a pump in the past but think it is too much of a faff.     You get to a stage where you just get on with what you have.   Oh the joys.

By the way I wont part with my water tank in the airing cupboard.      How people air their clothes these days beats me.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Now that is a comfort to know that we are not alone in our bungalow as far as water pressure is concerned.    Cold water is really good but the hot , well there is another story.    We have a bath (which I wont part with) but to fill it takes forever and the water is getting cold by the time you get in.      The electric shower Aqualux is really good.         In the kitchen if I put the hot tap on ,  I can get on with something else before it comes through hot.    Think it must come the long route.   Have considered a pump in the past but think it is too much of a faff.     You get to a stage where you just get on with what you have.   Oh the joys.

By the way I wont part with my water tank in the airing cupboard.      How people air their clothes these days beats me.   

See if your boiler has a pre heat function to cut down on the delay you mentioned 

7 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Here's the thing though... You could have a combi boiler that would give you instant(ish) hot water at mains pressure with no worries about it running out, and simply have a radiator installed in your airing cupboard for drying your washing.

• Like 2

Just now, oldgregg said:

Here's the thing though... You could have a combi boiler that would give you instant hot water at mains pressure, and simply have a radiator installed in your airing cupboard for drying your washing.

Oh dear,   dont tell other half of mine please?      Not long had the new boiler and he needed to go and lie down in a darkened room when that bill came in.

• Haha 2

We are just going to have to wait and see, my hubby really doesn't want a combi but I think when they came out some 18 - 20 years ago they were a bit iffy with the hot water pressure, I had one in my old house and while yes you have hot water all the time and you are only heating what you need just think prior experience has put, well both of us off tbf, they may have come on loads now technology wise and they way they work.

If we got rid of the water tank, that's in a cupboard in the bathroom we could then install a shower cubical there instead, ok ok I best stop getting to far ahead of myself, who knows, could just be a simple fix on our old lady yet :default_icon_bowdown:

• Like 1

Back in the 90s we bought a house  where the previous owners had already had a maintenance contract with British Gas for the central heating system so we decided to continue it as it wasn't exorbitantly expensive in those days.  I used to get them in regularly each Autumn because the radiators would always needed balancing  and there was one particular chap who did a superb job on this' which wasn't easy as the house had been extensively extended over the years and still had the same boiler that had been installed when it was built which meant that strictly speaking it  was under sized for the size of the house however it never broke down'  although on one occasion I thought the pump didn't sound right so I called  the engineers to come and have a look at it. 2 turned up, disappeared into the airing cupboard (where the pump was housed) emerging some time later to report that it did indeed sound a bit rough and went on to point out that if the cause turned out to be "aggressive water" then  I would have to bear the cost. "Sharks in the header  tank perhaps?  I asked. " Dunno about that"  said one but them's the rules these days.

Fortunately the funny noises ceased and the boiler carried on as normal. These days I do as had been suggested here, no more ,maintenance contracts. Having had a new boiler installed 18 months ago I have it serviced by the plumber that  installed it in order to keep the guarantee valid and that's it.

Carole

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, addicted said:

Back in the 90s we bought a house  where the previous owners had already had a maintenance contract with British Gas for the central heating system so we decided to continue it as it wasn't exorbitantly expensive in those days.  I used to get them in regularly each Autumn because the radiators would always needed balancing  and there was one particular chap who did a superb job on this' which wasn't easy as the house had been extensively extended over the years and still had the same boiler that had been installed when it was built which meant that strictly speaking it  was under sized for the size of the house however it never broke down'  although on one occasion I thought the pump didn't sound right so I called  the engineers to come and have a look at it. 2 turned up, disappeared into the airing cupboard (where the pump was housed) emerging some time later to report that it did indeed sound a bit rough and went on to point out that if the cause turned out to be "aggressive water" then  I would have to bear the cost. "Sharks in the header  tank perhaps?  I asked. " Dunno about that"  said one but them's the rules these days.

Fortunately the funny noises ceased and the boiler carried on as normal. These days I do as had been suggested here, no more ,maintenance contracts. Having had a new boiler installed 18 months ago I have it serviced by the plumber that  installed it in order to keep the guarantee valid and that's it.

Carole

Oh yes the aggressive water clause used by every boiler manufacture as a get out of jail free card because either you didn`t have the very expensive system powerflush carried out or you haven`t got the mag filter fitted.

Well the old girl is fixed guys and gals, a little shocked if I'm honest, no parts replaced either just given a good service and clean, which it should have had back end of last year, by the same company I may add. 

Think we best get saving though just in case, I just don't trust these guys that come, how do we know the last service tech didn't purposely do something (or not do something) in the hope it breaks and we have to buy a new one, every single time we get the old "oh this is an old unit and parts are hard to get" yes well that doesn't stop your company from covering it though does it grrrrrr. 

It's an Ideal Classic FF340 if that's of any interest to anyone lol

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

At long last our boiler is being replaced today and tomorrow. The chap that was going to do it,let us down three times.We went elsewhere, for us a blessing in disguise saving  us £500.We have also had three windows replaced .All part of our hope to get the house ready to sell and move to Norfolk. It's been a busy summer for us, a long weekend in Berlin in June,and our daughter gets married the end of August. A few days later we are up on the boat for two weeks,think we will need a rest.:default_icon_clap:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

At long last our boiler is being replaced today and tomorrow. The chap that was going to do it,let us down three times.We went elsewhere, for us a blessing in disguise saving  us £500.We have also had three windows replaced .All part of our hope to get the house ready to sell and move to Norfolk. It's been a busy summer for us, a long weekend in Berlin in June,and our daughter gets married the end of August. A few days later we are up on the boat for two weeks,think we will need a rest.:default_icon_clap:

Does that make it 2wks in Sept we are out 7 to 17 on Richos Ibiza 1